Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 327

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 614778 times)

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1740 on: April 22, 2014, 07:18:57 pm »

I can verify that if you are a vampiric necromancer husk clad in full adamantine you can swim happily in magma.
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

AmpsterMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: April 24, 2014, 10:44:00 pm »

Hello boys and girls, a few questions.

1.) How do I obtain a waterskin?
2.) How do I go down manholes?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: April 24, 2014, 10:48:14 pm »

A) You should start with one, unless you are an elf. You can randomly find one in lairs and castles, but that requires some luck. I rarely visit shops, but there might be one in some of them.

b) If you mean the grates found around the city, then you can't. Grates are impassible unless hooked up to a lever. If you mean floor hatches, then it is the same way you go up or down stairs.

AmpsterMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: April 24, 2014, 10:50:45 pm »

A) You should start with one, unless you are an elf. You can randomly find one in lairs and castles, but that requires some luck. I rarely visit shops, but there might be one in some of them.

b) If you mean the grates found around the city, then you can't. Grates are impassible unless hooked up to a lever. If you mean floor hatches, then it is the same way you go up or down stairs.

Thanks! I had some reptile men talk to me from one so I thought I may be able to. I don't actually have a waterskin. It is anoying me :/ (I am a dwarf)

edit: in fact, I think all I have are socks on! I don't have any clothes. All I have are socks, a quiver, a backpack, a spear, and a shield

KiBoy

• Bay Watcher
  • You have been struck down! It was inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: April 25, 2014, 02:00:01 am »

Thanks! I had some reptile men talk to me from one so I thought I may be able to. I don't actually have a waterskin. It is anoying me :/ (I am a dwarf)

edit: in fact, I think all I have are socks on! I don't have any clothes. All I have are socks, a quiver, a backpack, a spear, and a shield

As long as your pig tail fiber socks are on you can conquer the world!
"Ha-ha-halt in the name of the Obeisant Vegetation!  Okay, Princess, you can speak to the Necromancer now."
"A-anou, Necromancer-san, could...  C-Could I have your autograph?"
If you imagine an 8-bit Hinata with elf ears, it gets even more ridiculous ^_^

Hamsmagoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: April 30, 2014, 12:04:05 pm »

Little question about bogeymen:

I see a lot of people complaining that boogeymen make it near impossible to travel long distances through the wilderness without companions and completely impossible to camp outdoors.

Then I see others saying, "nah, bogeymen aren't a big deal.  Just build fires and they'll leave you alone."

I try this and it doesn't work for me.  I build a fire before I go to sleep and, if boogeymen find me, they just walk past the fire.  If I try to build more fires, while they're chasing me, I just, "don't feel safe enough to build a fire now."

So, what obvious thing am I missing?  How do I effectively use fire to ward off bogeymen?

Also, the, "their stats are terrible.  Just fight them individually and they're easy even at a low level" advice doesn't work either.  they're so much faster than me and they surround me and their teeth are so sharp and I hate those evil little twits.  But I feel like I'm cheating if I turn them off.

I must overcome these bogeymen.  I really want to play a loner character who doesn't get ripped asunder the first time he attempts to camp in the wilderness.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: April 30, 2014, 12:13:45 pm »

I fall into the 'only new/unlucky adventurers need to fear the boogies' camp.

Fires:  Surround yourself before they come out.  If you are not fast traveling they may not even come if you just walk.  If you sneak bonus points for them not being able to see you (although they should keep vanishing/reappearing next to you)

When you get woken up and are surrounded by fires, they wont go into the fire.  They will only roll/get knocked into the fire as a result of combat.  They will burn like you they stay in the fire, though.  Grabbing them to keep them in place may work . . . once you have some kind of armor/blocking/dodging skill.  Myself, If I build a firepit I leave one opening that takes several turns to traverse, so I have time to wake up and throw stuffs.  So maybe sleeping on pebbles.

Another trick is to sleep directly outside a village house.  The boogies come, and if you get into trouble just walk inside.  As a bonus, anything outside should be hostile to the boogies, including peahens and cats.  They die relatively quickly, tho :/

A third trick is to not venture outside or stick to beaches.

I did some science a bit back, and I found out that sleeping while sneaking does reduce the chances of boogie attacks . . .  by like 10% or something.  Its not 100%.

A note on horns.  Will kill you dead.  So even a skilled adventurer can get ambushed while sleeping and gored repeatedly.  I usually set my boogeyman numbers to 5 or 10, something low, to discourage wackiness.

Otherwise, keep charging them to knock them over, don't let more than two attack you on any given turn (by running away as required) and remember they are small (irrelevant) and agile (relevant).
I don't usually see reliable hits on them until I hit at least competent weapon skills.

---

If you realy feel the need to specialize in boogies, try a spearman/wrestler.  On D1 get a spear, quiver, shield.  Go get food, water.  Wrassle a small animal/fish a bit, sneak around a bit to level ambusher, and pick a spot where you can use trees and other object to provide LOS breakers/cover.  Them being fast its important to break their pathing.  Throw some stuff and knap some sharp rocks.

Also remember: setting tree on fire will provide distractions/force them to path around flames, buying you time to do whatever.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 12:19:05 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Hamsmagoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: April 30, 2014, 12:21:52 pm »

Thanks for the thorough advice.  Now to go out and experiment.

Luckily, my favorite character to play (human outsider) always starts with a spear.

EDIT: oh, actually another question: is a competent fighter skill good enough, or does it NEED to be a competent weapon skill?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 12:25:05 pm by Hamsmagoo »

Methadone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: May 03, 2014, 03:00:46 pm »

oh, actually another question: is a competent fighter skill good enough, or does it NEED to be a competent weapon skill?

Weapon skill. Its not clear what exactly fighter does, except that it helps in general. It'll also level really fast, so you shouldn't put points  into it when starting.

shevtsov200

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: May 06, 2014, 03:45:29 am »

Is there a mod that allows to aim directly while shooting or throwing?

blazing glory

« Reply #1750 on: May 06, 2014, 10:32:25 am »

Is there a mod that allows to aim directly while shooting or throwing?

Nah,that would be hard coded.

zendo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: May 09, 2014, 05:11:50 pm »

Forget spears for bogeymen... when you're a brand new dude you need to rely on your SPEED and THROWING.

Stay out of their range, keeping your distance. Pick up rocks and sand and body parts or whatever is on the ground and throw it at the bogeymen. Keep throwing and keeping your distance, if they are 2 tiles away that's too close, only throw when they're 3 or 4 tiles away.

Your chance to melee will be when they start giving in to pain - when that happens try to go in a little circle do you have a chance to safely stab them in the head while still fleeing the others.

That's how you survive bogeymen when you're weak. It'll take forever unless you have a bit of throwing skill, but the skill will rise pretty quick.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 05:13:29 pm by zendo »

granzteel

• Bay Watcher
  • Humans think better than.. err, maybe dwarves do.
    • View Profile
    • Granzland!
« Reply #1752 on: May 10, 2014, 12:02:45 am »

Forget spears for bogeymen... when you're a brand new dude you need to rely on your SPEED and THROWING.

Stay out of their range, keeping your distance. Pick up rocks and sand and body parts or whatever is on the ground and throw it at the bogeymen. Keep throwing and keeping your distance, if they are 2 tiles away that's too close, only throw when they're 3 or 4 tiles away.

Your chance to melee will be when they start giving in to pain - when that happens try to go in a little circle do you have a chance to safely stab them in the head while still fleeing the others.

That's how you survive bogeymen when you're weak. It'll take forever unless you have a bit of throwing skill, but the skill will rise pretty quick.

That's a good tip, man. I'm going to have to test this.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: May 14, 2014, 02:17:56 pm »

As a vampire, is it possible to die from needing to drink blood? Or can I just not drink blood until I can work up enough thirst to drain a dragon?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: May 14, 2014, 03:48:27 pm »

As a vampire, is it possible to die from needing to drink blood?

Probably not. Vampires in Fort Mode don't need to drink blood, so I don't see why they would have to in Adventure Mode.
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 327