Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 327

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 615697 times)

The W axis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1905 on: July 12, 2014, 11:52:05 am »

I killed several of them and it hasn't made a difference, I will try killing more to see if that fixes the problem.

(wow, that sounds horribly deranged if taken out of context...)

It was inevitable.
I killed several of them and it hasn't made a difference, I will try killing more to see if that fixes the problem

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: July 12, 2014, 12:06:36 pm »

curious if there's any point to trading?  Since most items you'll be using can be found in tombs/dungeons/off corpses

Well, to get food/weapons/armour/something valuable for that Bronze Colossus you turned into a statue, you can trade. Of course, an adventurer is perfectly self-sustaining, but it's easier to get a suit of armour to set off in on your battle against a ferocious beast than trying to find it in some dungeon/off an unlucky bandit.

To be honest though, I've never actually traded. It adds to the atmosphere to have towns though.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

MalleusManus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: July 12, 2014, 01:29:17 pm »

How exactly do you turn in a quest? I was asked to go kill a Wicked Horror (which really never fought back, so that was depressing), which I did. Now I have the problem of:
1) I have no idea who gave me this quest, and it might have been one of my companions?
2) I have no idea how to get credit - is it only the person who gave it to me who can reward me?
3) I have no idea WHERE I got the quest, and I suspect I have to return to that spot?

Here's all the details I can muster:
I have an event:
Death/Arani Twilightshades the Cavernous Shadow-Dust

Recentering on selected points at the cave that I killed them at.

There is also:
Beast/Arani Twilightshades the ...

Which also points at that cave.

Is it possible this isn't a quest at all?

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: July 12, 2014, 01:35:11 pm »

-snip-

I believe you use the rumor part of the talk window. I'd say boast about it, but the last time I tried that by boasting my killing of a vampire, I got spat upon.
I think it has to be at least the same entity that gave you the quest. Still, I don't think it would hurt to just spread rumours of it. That should increase your fame.

Since you get no real rewards (not even fame?), rumouring about it will get people to talk about you, so that seems like the same effect.

As you can see, I have no idea what the quest system does anymore, other than making that town less likely to change owner/perish as time passes. (Maybe?).
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: July 12, 2014, 01:43:08 pm »

-snip-

I believe you use the rumor part of the talk window. I'd say boast about it, but the last time I tried that by boasting my killing of a vampire, I got spat upon.
I think it has to be at least the same entity that gave you the quest. Still, I don't think it would hurt to just spread rumours of it. That should increase your fame.

Since you get no real rewards (not even fame?), rumouring about it will get people to talk about you, so that seems like the same effect.

As you can see, I have no idea what the quest system does anymore, other than making that town less likely to change owner/perish as time passes. (Maybe?).
It doesn't have to be the same entity. You just report to people that you want to have on your side and they'll slowly spread the rumor among their civilization.
And you definitely get fame.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: July 12, 2014, 02:04:33 pm »

How exactly do you turn in a quest? I was asked to go kill a Wicked Horror (which really never fought back, so that was depressing), which I did. Now I have the problem of:
1) I have no idea who gave me this quest, and it might have been one of my companions?
2) I have no idea how to get credit - is it only the person who gave it to me who can reward me?
3) I have no idea WHERE I got the quest, and I suspect I have to return to that spot?

I have an event:

There is also:

You propobly doesn't get a quest, just heared a rumor. Beast/Arani is event, who will get you ocastion to spread rumor about his presence in some location. Death/Arani can is event, who will give you option about his death "you, companion, companion slaw Arani". And yes, you can get fame because you first spreaded rummors about presence and then death.

You can get quest for example from your lord/queen/priest/boss/leader, not from peasent.
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.

MalleusManus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: July 12, 2014, 02:30:39 pm »

I have an event:

There is also:

You propobly doesn't get a quest, just heared a rumor. Beast/Arani is event, who will get you ocastion to spread rumor about his presence in some location. Death/Arani can is event, who will give you option about his death "you, companion, companion slaw Arani". And yes, you can get fame because you first spreaded rummors about presence and then death.

You can get quest for example from your lord/queen/priest/boss/leader, not from peasent.

Thanks all for the clarity. Do I only need to tell one person in a hamlet about my exploits, or everyone?

Also, how do you track fame?

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: July 12, 2014, 02:35:03 pm »

I have an event:

There is also:

Thanks all for the clarity. Do I only need to tell one person in a hamlet about my exploits, or everyone?

Greet them before actually talking. I forget what they say if you are positively famous in this area but if you are known to be strong (Night Creature kills or semi-famous kills) they ask you for no harm to come and are very polite. Once they start to respond like that you can become their hearthperson or make them yours as applicable.
As time passes and they naturally talk to each other you'll become more famous overall but this can take a few weeks for a small civ. I like spreading rumors through the leaders because they are less likely to randomly die and more likely to go elsewhere. Also spread rumours in big cities by shouting in a crowded area. (I hope shouting is more than just a 'talk to closest' button and actually works this way). I've actually heard rumors of things I've  done be told by my companions to others, and it spread through the house.

It's a really cool system but is so tedious. It'd would be better if the filter would be more selective (typing 'slew' also gives you all the 'x attacked y' and it doesn't respect names. And if you could look at your "Rumors" in (Q)uest tab and look at people's groups and their relationships (like in fort mode) to pick out which rumors would go well where.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 02:44:09 pm by ArKFallen »
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Celarious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: July 12, 2014, 04:19:02 pm »

This may sound like a stupid question, but how do you climb? I give my Adventurer a Master level in Climbing and I cannot figure out how to do it. I walk up to a wall/tree/ledge and press Alt + Arrow Keys but that doesn't do anything, and pressing J only allows me to jump 2 blocks in any direction that is not blocked by a wall. I apologize for my blindness.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: July 12, 2014, 04:22:15 pm »

Stand next to something you can climb and press "h." Using the movement keys while climbing while give you different things you can climb up/down/over to, and pressing "h" again gives you the option to let go. Be warned that smooth walls are hard to climb.

Celarious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: July 12, 2014, 04:25:44 pm »

Ah, awesome! Thanks!

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: July 12, 2014, 07:16:33 pm »

I have an event:

There is also:

Greet them before actually talking. I forget what they say if you are positively famous in this area but if you are known to be strong (Night Creature kills or semi-famous kills) they ask you for no harm to come and are very polite. Once they start to respond like that you can become their hearthperson or make them yours as applicable.
As time passes and they naturally talk to each other you'll become more famous overall but this can take a few weeks for a small civ. I like spreading rumors through the leaders because they are less likely to randomly die and more likely to go elsewhere. Also spread rumours in big cities by shouting in a crowded area. (I hope shouting is more than just a 'talk to closest' button and actually works this way). I've actually heard rumors of things I've  done be told by my companions to others, and it spread through the house.

It's a really cool system but is so tedious. It'd would be better if the filter would be more selective (typing 'slew' also gives you all the 'x attacked y' and it doesn't respect names. And if you could look at your "Rumors" in (Q)uest tab and look at people's groups and their relationships (like in fort mode) to pick out which rumors would go well where.

I am looking at this about people are speaking. And yeah, greeting before talking or shouting to them is important, because when you for example shouting about claiming this place, some persons are not know your name. I am spreading rumors by companions and random soldiers. They are just wandering alone.

But if you will survive for month in one character... whole world will be speaking about you. It's strange feeling when you're retiring your lord in capital, and you see everyone speaking about your hero as new adventurer... People should be detailed tracked by whole time, even if there will be very long, long world generation time.
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: July 12, 2014, 07:19:25 pm »

Do the slabs in the vaults actually do anything?

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: July 12, 2014, 08:23:27 pm »

Check over here.

Spoilers , ahoy!

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: July 12, 2014, 08:56:21 pm »

You also can't make a claim/create an entity with outsiders ("I have forgotten my bold pronouncement."). It might be related to not having a name to begin with. Try killing a few famous beasts/murderers/squishy nobles in the surround area. Maybe that'll net you enough fame.

I succeeded in claiming something as an outsider the first time I tried (without having killed anything before hand), got the naming menu and all, But every time since (and a couple of worlds later) I have only gotten that message even after killing a whole bunch of famous things and spreading the rumor.

So it is possible as an outsider, it's just very vague as to what you have to do to be able to claim entities.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 327