Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 327

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 614296 times)

a smiling bearded cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOTHOUGHT][NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2235 on: August 28, 2014, 09:04:21 pm »

What does "rumored killer" mean in this context? Is it a good thing or a bad thing?

No need to worry. You are now known as a free person with no limiter.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: August 28, 2014, 09:19:06 pm »

Is there a way to obtain steel equipment in adventurer mode?

a smiling bearded cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOTHOUGHT][NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: August 28, 2014, 09:46:26 pm »

Yes, you can kill dwarves. Best way is to claim a dwarf site and repeatedly kill the local authority (mayor/baroness, etc). At some point, they'll send armed dwarves to intercept. That can be a great time to get steel. Or you can just examine the dwarves you come across. this is also good.

Sometimes other races can have steel, but that's an thing decided during world generation.

Mr. Unobvious

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of orphan tears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: August 28, 2014, 10:57:10 pm »

Ah, but whatever does it mean to find a relative? Is my long lost uncomfortably-attractive-yet-so-blissfully-unaware-step-so-it's-not-wierd sister residing in Brightnessfancy?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Urist McEntombed says: At least it does not rain down here.

Urist McPanzerbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: August 29, 2014, 10:18:31 am »

The only way would be to go to the legends before creating an adventurer, create the xml and world picture file so you can use Legends Viewer on them.

Then when you encounter a NPC you want to know which faction he is from, you can launch Legends Viewer on the side, search for the NPC name and you'll have the faction name.

Very clunky but unfortunately it's the only way i see, as it's something rather important that is lacking from the ingame dialogues.
Thanks. That's not too bad, I was planning on using Legends Viewer at some point anyway, but it certainly seems like something that should be part of the base game.
Hey, you sass that hoopy Urist McDwarf? There's a frood who really knows where his booze is.

Shizmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: August 29, 2014, 12:12:35 pm »

Where can I find non wuss companions? Its very rare they would stay and help fight when I encounter someone defeating the whole purpose of having them.

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: August 29, 2014, 12:24:55 pm »

Where can I find non wuss companions? Its very rare they would stay and help fight when I encounter someone defeating the whole purpose of having them.
I think that is a bug that will be fixed in the next release. 
Quote from: 08/27/2014 Toady One

Gave your companions a bit of a courage boost in terms of intervening in conflicts

TheMaidenInBlack

• Bay Watcher
  • Soul of the mind, key to life's ether.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: August 29, 2014, 03:31:07 pm »

Is Vampirism broken? I've slaughtered and drank the blood of at least ten vampires and I don't even have a hint of vampirism in my character. No blood sight no nothing.

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: August 29, 2014, 10:34:29 pm »

Are there any tutorials on doing quests?

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: August 31, 2014, 10:45:05 am »

Is Vampirism broken? I've slaughtered and drank the blood of at least ten vampires and I don't even have a hint of vampirism in my character. No blood sight no nothing.
I definitely became a vampire in one of the earlier 40.xx releases - maybe 40.02?  But maybe it's become broken since then.  I am also not sure if there is a 100% chance of becoming a vampire from drinking blood - I think I remember something about some blood not being contagious, but 10 should be more than enough.

You know that it takes a little while (maybe a day or two?) for the effects to become evident, right?  You don't just drink the blood and turn into a night creature.  Unless it really is broken, if you keep drinking vampire blood, you will eventually notice that you are thirsty, and then you can suck the blood of an unconscious creature to turn into a vampire.  Sorry if you know all this already...

Edit:  Apparently other people have been having problems with this too.  See this tread
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 10:47:36 am by Pirate Bob »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: August 31, 2014, 01:10:40 pm »

How do I start a tavern/drink mound/bar brawl without it escalating to nonlethal or up?

They're supposed to be a thing in 40.xx, but I haven't seen any.

qgloafhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: August 31, 2014, 02:37:10 pm »

So, I just decided to try DF2014 adventure mode. Everything's fine, I just don't really understand a thing about quests. Why don't I have a pointer towards the task on my compass when not quicktraveling?

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: September 02, 2014, 11:41:54 am »

So, I just decided to try DF2014 adventure mode. Everything's fine, I just don't really understand a thing about quests. Why don't I have a pointer towards the task on my compass when not quicktraveling?
Did you actually get a quest assigned to you via the "ask for duties pertaining to your service as a hearthperson" (may not be exact wording) option, or did you just inquire about troubles?

Whenever I ask for duties as a hearthperson (either from the site where I start as a hearthperson, or by killing enough things to get other sites to agree to let me be a hearthperson) the noble just responds "enjoy these times of peace" and doesn't give me anything to do.  Has anyone actually ever gotten assigned duties, or does this not work yet?

If you inquire about troubles, and then follow up to inquire about specific troubles, you can then talk to the NPC again and ask for directions to the relevant site (usually the first option, but sometimes the second.  Do not ask for the location of the relevant person - you want the location of the site).  Then, if you pay attention to the name of the site, you can go into the "sites" section of you quest log, select this name (filtering is helpful here), and it will show you the location on the map.  However, you haven't really been given a quest to kill whatever is there.  The NPC you talked to will not care if you kill whatever they were complaining was so horrible there (they will just say "it was inevitable" if you tell them about it).  However, it is still useful to talk to NPCs to get locations of things you might want to fight, even though they don't actually care if you fight said things.

Long story short, the old quest system from DF2012 is gone, and AFAIK it is not possible to get a "quest" in the new version.  If anyone else knows how to get assigned a quest in any form, I am very interested to find out.  It is my hope that if and when the "ask for duties pertaining to your service as a hearthperson" works, that something would be added to the "agreements" tab reflecting your assignment, but like I said I haven't been able to make this work yet.  Even if the town is currently under occupation by goblins, they still say "enjoy these times of peace", so either it's bugged/not written yet, or I haven't become "worthy" of doing any quests yet.

Chaine Maile

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: September 02, 2014, 12:49:44 pm »

I know I can loot my Fortress in adventure mode for good gear. Can I drop items inside a retired fortress and find them again in Fortress mode? I have a bag of unicorn teeth in need of turning into necklaces! Well, not really, but you get the idea.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: September 02, 2014, 01:00:24 pm »

Well, your reputation is theorised to increase when you spread rumours of having killed/ended unfavourables. In this case, ask for troubles, then directions to those troubles (yes, the site is better to ask about).

I've never had a quest as a hearthperson. I guess the hearth doesn't need to be tended to.

That's all that I know. If you consider how quests worked so far ("Kill that thing" -> Travel -> Kill -> Travel -> "I've killed that thing" -> +REPUTATION+), then if rumouring DOES give you rep, then it's the same, just with a new chat system.

I know I can loot my Fortress in adventure mode for good gear. Can I drop items inside a retired fortress and find them again in Fortress mode? I have a bag of unicorn teeth in need of turning into necklaces! Well, not really, but you get the idea.

I believe it'll get added to the items in the fort, though it may be hard to find later on.
You may need someone more knowledgeable about reclaiming.

How do I start a tavern/drink mound/bar brawl without it escalating to nonlethal or up?

They're supposed to be a thing in 40.xx, but I haven't seen any.

I think it just happens sometimes, but you should try spitting on a drunk or just punching someone (with weapons sheathed!). Though I guess everyone will just attack you, dunno... Do some !!TAVERN SCIENCE!!
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 327