Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 327

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 616268 times)

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2295 on: September 21, 2014, 07:37:20 am »

And what's with invasions? Is that something that happens in real time that the player can interact with? Like I said, i've wandered into "invaded" towns and all I usually find are a few goblins that seem to have gone native.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: September 23, 2014, 10:35:54 am »

Is it possible to force DF to use either only the original in-world names or only the english "translation" of the names ?

It's very annoying when in every dialogues with NPC they're using english translation of the last names of individuals, while when looking at people or corpses, only the in-world last name is used and you can refer then only to the 1st name, that unfortunately is common to a very lot of people.

I mean, it's nice that a guy told you to find and kill Urist Ironbeard , but it's less nice when in the town you'll only find Urist Efipnkeroùinge, Urist Dfipnezriopher, Urist Potçjàezn, Urist Eçàuerngdf and a dozen more Urist with only their in-world name displayed etc... etc...

Shizmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: September 23, 2014, 01:18:51 pm »

I know there is an option for that in Masterwork Mod, not sure if its a mod itself or an actual option.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: September 23, 2014, 01:52:37 pm »

Thanks i will look into this.

edit
Looking at the masterwork files, i think i found where the english / inworld name is, that's apparently decided by
language_DWARF.txt
language_ELF.txt
language_GOBLIN.txt
language_HUMAN.txt

The problem is that apparently both 1st names and last names can be part of it, as Urist by example is listed (and as everyone know is often a dwarf 1st name) , changing this to english would have several dwarves having their first name as "Dagger".
Hmm, more complicated than i thought unfortunately as i don't see a way then to keep 1st name as they are, while changing all the last names to english.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 03:09:47 pm by Robsoie »

bleekmiddel

• Bay Watcher
  • who are you gonna call? DWARF FORTRESS!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: September 25, 2014, 07:51:55 am »

I have a small question that might already have been answered
Here it is: is it possible to kill off an entire town or do they just respawn like in the old version

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2300 on: September 25, 2014, 09:36:25 am »

For towns i can't say, as i have not tried, but in a goblin site i have reported with a save the case of hundred of trolls being killed, and respawning as soon as you sleep, and rekilling them will only cause them to respawn on your next sleep.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: September 25, 2014, 09:45:46 am »

I have a small question that might already have been answered
Here it is: is it possible to kill off an entire town or do they just respawn like in the old version

I've slaughtered out a hamlet of the occupants and they didn't respawn, so yeah you should be able to.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: September 25, 2014, 02:04:44 pm »

What quests are completable, and how do I know if I got the credit for them?

I killed a bandit leader at his cave-site and reported his death, but all I got was the same old.

You: 'I killed Bandit Leader, whose blahbalhbalh death!'
Child: 'it is terrifying'
You:  'can you give me directions to the Bandit Leader?
Child: Bandit Leader is dead'
You: 'Goodbye'
Child: 'Farewell'

---

for that matter, how do I find out where the capital (and the ruler) of a civ are?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 02:08:22 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: September 25, 2014, 02:29:49 pm »

I think the best way to find the civ leader and its capital reliably (and more of the ingame missing informations) is to
- retire your character temporarly
- in the legends mode export the xml by pressing x
- export the map/gen info by pressing p
- un-retire your adventurer.

- launch Legendsviewer , load the xml and check the civilizations to find who's the current leader, and click on his name to try to find his current location.

You can of course do that in legends mode, but it's much faster through legendsviewer (though at time more buggy) and easier as it has a much better interface and functionality.
And the alternate advantage is that you can consult legendviewer at any time while you're adventuring, no more need to retire temporarly once you have the xml/map exported
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 02:31:44 pm by Robsoie »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: September 25, 2014, 02:42:30 pm »

Uh, might want to report that broken image problem in the thread for LegendsViewer.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: September 25, 2014, 03:14:56 pm »

I think the best way to find the civ leader and its capital reliably (and more of the ingame missing informations) is to
- retire your character temporarly
- in the legends mode export the xml by pressing x
- export the map/gen info by pressing p
- un-retire your adventurer.

- launch Legendsviewer , load the xml and check the civilizations to find who's the current leader, and click on his name to try to find his current location.

You can of course do that in legends mode, but it's much faster through legendsviewer (though at time more buggy) and easier as it has a much better interface and functionality.
And the alternate advantage is that you can consult legendviewer at any time while you're adventuring, no more need to retire temporarly once you have the xml/map exported

That be badassery right there.  I had downloaded it prior, but never set it up.  Thanks!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: September 25, 2014, 04:04:03 pm »

Uh, might want to report that broken image problem in the thread for LegendsViewer.
already done, it's due to me not using a recent version of internet explorer (required by legendsviewer to display those picture from what the dev replied), as i don't use that browser at all.

For fun i modded the raws with the following :
- added [NOFEAR] to everyone in the creatures_standard.txt to make large battle more like battles
- in entity_default.txt, i removed the    [LIKES_SITE:...] and [TOLERATES_SITE:...] that weren't the ones of the civs in which those entries were defined, to simulate completely isolationist species (and see if it trigger wars more often at gameplay time)
- changed the ethics to [ETHIC:KILL_NEUTRAL:REQUIRED] and [ETHIC:KILL_ENEMY:REQUIRED] for those having different values, in order to see if it could solve the everyone is too passive stuff.

worldgened with those , a smallest world with +/- 60 years of history and noticed there's no more dwarves (no dwarf playable as adventurer) so i guess wars indeed are going, decided to try an elf and see if there are armies around.
On my starting elven retreat i didn't noticed any no-job warrior elf to join, so i traveled to the elven retreat that was next to mine

Arrived on spot, i noticed 2 elven bowyer on a tree, they immediately climbed down the tree and ran .. to attack me.
Managed to defeat both with kicks (as my wooden sword is incredibly useless), then moving in, more elves charging at me.

I guess those values are a bit too much :D

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: September 25, 2014, 04:07:23 pm »

already done, it's due to me not using a recent version of internet explorer (required by legendsviewer to display those picture from what the dev replied), as i don't use that browser at all.

For fun i modded the raws with the following :
- added [NOFEAR] to everyone in the creatures_standard.txt to make large battle more like battles
- in entity_default.txt, i removed the    [LIKES_SITE:...] and [TOLERATES_SITE:...] that weren't the ones of the civs in which those entries were defined, to simulate completely isolationist species (and see if it trigger wars more often at gameplay time)
- changed the ethics to [ETHIC:KILL_NEUTRAL:REQUIRED] and [ETHIC:KILL_ENEMY:REQUIRED] for those having different values, in order to see if it could solve the everyone is too passive stuff.

worldgened with those , a smallest world with +/- 60 years of history and noticed there's no more dwarves (no dwarf playable as adventurer) so i guess wars indeed are going, decided to try an elf and see if there are armies around.
On my starting elven retreat i didn't noticed any no-job warrior elf to join, so i traveled to the elven retreat that was next to mine

Arrived on spot, i noticed 2 elven bowyer on a tree, they immediately climbed down the tree and ran .. to attack me.
Managed to defeat both with kicks (as my wooden sword is incredibly useless), then moving in, more elves charging at me.

I guess those values are a bit too much :D
Attacks neutral is a bit much.  attacks enemy - required is also too much, but probably for the best.
PKs DF Mod!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: September 25, 2014, 04:10:54 pm »

I looked at the gamelog and saw what i didn't noticed during the battle
The Bowyer collides with You!
You are knocked over!
The Bowyer gives in to pain.
The Bowyer falls over.
The Bowyer strikes at You but the shot is blocked with the carambola wood shield!
Themiyi Refethelire, Bowyer: Greetings.  My name is Themiyi Roastedtrees.
You stand up.
You kick The Bowyer in the head with your left foot, bruising the muscle through the flax plant fiber cap!
The Bowyer attacks You but You jump away!
The Bowyer attacks You but You jump away!
The Bowyer misses You!
You kick The Bowyer in the neck with your left foot, bruising the muscle and bruising the upper spine's bone through the kenaf plant fiber robe!
So they're overagressive but at least they politely present themselves in the middle of the fight they're starting

ClorrProdigal

• Bay Watcher
  • My God! It's full of dwarves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: September 26, 2014, 03:29:56 pm »

Anyone know if the impersonation greeting actually serves any kind of purpose now or in a future update? Or is it just a random joke Toady implemented? 
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 327