Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 327

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 615722 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2310 on: September 26, 2014, 03:31:18 pm »

Anyone know if the impersonation greeting actually serves any kind of purpose now or in a future update? Or is it just a random joke Toady implemented? 
I would wager that with significant power (and the crushing of a few skulls) you could actually pass yourself off as a god.  It would make more sense if you could also pass yourself off as a hero or bandit, or w.e.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: September 26, 2014, 03:50:27 pm »

Anyone know if the impersonation greeting actually serves any kind of purpose now or in a future update? Or is it just a random joke Toady implemented? 
I would wager that with significant power (and the crushing of a few skulls) you could actually pass yourself off as a god.  It would make more sense if you could also pass yourself off as a hero or bandit, or w.e.
I think he's referring to the conversation option when you respond to a person greeting you.  One of the options is to impersonate the voice of the person who greeted you.  I don't know if this does anything, but I strongly suspect not yet.  Currently you can demand tribute from a neutral person and they just refuse, but don't get angry, so I can't imagine they would care about you making fun of them.  But I haven't actually tried it so I'm not sure.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: September 27, 2014, 04:10:48 am »

Anyone tried rescuing dwarves from impending invasion?

What happens is that they are grateful, and follow you, but then I can't find a way to get rid of them properly. No "it's safe here, bugger off." option. You can tell them to 'stay here' but that doesn't seem to be quite the same thing.

Also I suspect that refugees count towards your companion limit. I had two companions, one died, then I collected a bunch of refugees and now I can't recruit anyone.
()==[:::::::::::::>

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: September 27, 2014, 05:47:33 am »

I never had the situation, but i remember for companions, to get rid of them you can ask them about "Bring up the journey together", they will answer "this is the life for me", then talk again and you'll get the possibility to "Cancel the agreement" to remove the individual from your party.

Maybe try to see if it works the same for those refugees.

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: September 27, 2014, 11:15:04 pm »

Anyone tried rescuing dwarves from impending invasion?

What happens is that they are grateful, and follow you, but then I can't find a way to get rid of them properly. No "it's safe here, bugger off." option. You can tell them to 'stay here' but that doesn't seem to be quite the same thing.

Also I suspect that refugees count towards your companion limit. I had two companions, one died, then I collected a bunch of refugees and now I can't recruit anyone.
Wait.  You actually found an action you can take in adventure mode that people care about?  For serious?  Please tell more :P.

Do I understand correctly that somehow or other you found out there was an army "on the march" toward said dwarf site and then you killed it, and they were happy with you?  If not, can you explain exactly what you did?

Maybe with 100+ emotions, people will start to have a more varied response to things besides "it was inevitable"?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: September 28, 2014, 05:40:43 pm »

Do your companions spread word of your exploits? I told my two current companions about my kills of several minotaurs, even showing them the horns of the minotaurs, plus a night creature or two, however, they don't seem to be telling anybody about it, even the night creature that my lasher companion one hit KO'd.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: October 01, 2014, 05:10:59 pm »

I was wondering that, maybe they do if you cancel the agreement and leave them in a castle/town/ etc.. but since i don't trust much the current system, i always prefered to only spread everything to my lord, even asking him as soon as i report if he knew where is the guy i killed and reported dead just to be sure he then actually know he's dead.

Question about combat.
On normal attack i notice sometime i have only access to Strike or Dodge, missing the Parry or the Block options.
On multiattack it's the same, sometime i have all the options, sometime only Strike or Dodge.
Is there a game mechanic that allow you to block/parry or not in some situations ?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: October 01, 2014, 05:12:56 pm »

I was wondering that, maybe they do if you cancel the agreement and leave them in a castle/town/ etc.. but since i don't trust much the current system, i always prefered to only spread everything to my lord, even asking him as soon as i report if he knew where is the guy i killed and reported dead just to be sure he then actually know he's dead.

Question about combat.
On normal attack i notice sometime i have only access to Strike or Dodge, missing the Parry or the Block options.
On multiattack it's the same, sometime i have all the options, sometime only Strike or Dodge.
Is there a game mechanic that allow you to block/parry or not in some situations ?

Recovery, current hand loadout, and relative position of bodies, Id imagine.  Like how attacks can come from behind or the side and how you need time to recover now.  A slow recovery rate has some impact on your ability to attack again.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: October 01, 2014, 06:16:11 pm »

I wonder if being in permanent stealth, even if detected impact this too, as you make a lot of strikes from behind this way, even if your opponent is obviously facing you.
I'll have to experiment in arena to see if the position influence greatly this.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: October 01, 2014, 10:04:19 pm »

After becoming the master of ninja-killing cave crocodiles I got it into my head to go slaughter some goblins. I exited the underground in a fortress, fast travelled to a nearby river, bit the wing off a barn owl, and leaped across the river. I took a few steps, then vomited. I wondered what was in that barn owl's blood. The raws showed nothing. After looking up the syndrome wiki page and seeing no matches I discovered through logical deduction that my native mountain haller was cave adapted. So... what does it take to cure it in an adventurer? Can you die of it? Im scared to go outside! That big yellow eye is going to eat me!
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: October 01, 2014, 10:38:31 pm »

You can only parry/block when an enemy is attacking (red arrows on their icon.) You might have to wait for their attack.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: October 02, 2014, 10:56:38 am »

Question about combat.
It depends from you Observer skill. Just go into adventure and punch somebody, who will go onto non-letchal with you. Let them run to you, then wait one tick (, not .). When he start making his atack, you can choose your pary/block move. If he is slow and there is plenty of time, you have more time to parry/block. But there is one important note, if you will use your weapon to pary enemy shot, you will be not able to use your weapon to next recovery stage.
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: October 02, 2014, 11:03:16 am »

Is parrying better more reliable than dodging, and how is it different from blocking (besides, you know, the shield :P )
What skills are trained when parrying?
PKs DF Mod!

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: October 02, 2014, 12:44:25 pm »

Is parrying better more reliable than dodging, and how is it different from blocking (besides, you know, the shield :P )
What skills are trained when parrying?
Parrying trains the skill of the weapon used. Parrying doesn't move you, dodging does. Also blocking is partially dependent on the shield use (shields block more often than bucklers) while parrying is purely skill vs skill.
If there is more to it, I unfortunately don't have any more information.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: October 02, 2014, 10:46:13 pm »

Does drinking blood off your clothes/weapons/etc help with dehydration?
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 327