Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 327

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 614763 times)

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2430 on: October 31, 2014, 06:52:39 pm »

I guess it was the second to last one because it was a legendary lasher
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Jebediah`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: November 01, 2014, 12:30:12 pm »

I'm a little confused on armor stacking...going off of this image, one could cover the breaks in armor coverage with a cloak or coat, so I usually do. However, I've been noticing messages indicating that the attack penetrated said cloak even when the area should be covered by, say, the breastplate.

How exactly are the two sides of the armor vs. weapon check determined? Does it factor in all valid armor pieces present on the body-part (i.e. cloak, breastplate, chainmail, vest, shirt), does it select only one armor piece at random, or is there some other pattern I'm missing?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: November 01, 2014, 12:56:11 pm »

According to that a shirt covers your toes :P

Also I thought helms covered more than caps?  Im almost positive there are minor discrepancies there.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: November 01, 2014, 01:07:53 pm »

I'm a little confused on armor stacking...going off of this image, one could cover the breaks in armor coverage with a cloak or coat, so I usually do. However, I've been noticing messages indicating that the attack penetrated said cloak even when the area should be covered by, say, the breastplate.

How exactly are the two sides of the armor vs. weapon check determined? Does it factor in all valid armor pieces present on the body-part (i.e. cloak, breastplate, chainmail, vest, shirt), does it select only one armor piece at random, or is there some other pattern I'm missing?
Armor is set to cover a certain area a certain percent of the time.

If a cap is set to 50% (I forget if it is, but that sounds about right), than 50% of the time it will be counted in the attack/defense step.  So, a helmet covers closer to 100% than a cap (I think that percent coverage caps out below 100%, so nothing will always cover you), and can rely on an iron helmet to protect you more often than a steel cap.

Your breastplate actually has a fairly low coverage rate, but is quite thick.*  You can find the data in the file item_armor.txt

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

All available armors are rolled for protection, but only the first selected (outermost armor that will offer protection) will be listed as defending.

---
UB and LB step describe how far up or down coverage (and layersize, which determines the total clothing you can wear on any spot) extends.  Your breastplate only covers the breast, in other words.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 01:11:58 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Jebediah`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: November 01, 2014, 01:23:30 pm »

Ok, so the attack piercing the cloak is the notification I receive, but behind that notification are algorithms that do account for everything else. Just what I needed to know, thanks!

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: November 02, 2014, 05:42:14 pm »

If my adventurer becomes a vampire, can he still die from an infected nail scar?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: November 02, 2014, 06:46:40 pm »

How the hell do I keep my companions from going insane eventually? I keep losing longtime companions to one sort of insanity or another.

Yes, the life of an adventurer is a harsh one with few pleasures, but losing battle hardened companions to madness is just annoying.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: November 02, 2014, 11:55:09 pm »

How the hell do I keep my companions from going insane eventually? I keep losing longtime companions to one sort of insanity or another.

Yes, the life of an adventurer is a harsh one with few pleasures, but losing battle hardened companions to madness is just annoying.

Huh, I've never had that problem 

Then again I usually just gather up 5 adventurers and slaughter town after town until I die

Also does anyone know if you block a stairway with people who are "regaining balance"?
I am in a goblin trench and found one of those building things that have a stair way that leads to a room packed with goblins and was wondering if I could just go up one after attacking them and clog the stairs with their dieing bodies to kill them all without facing them all at once
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

fredigar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: November 03, 2014, 01:40:56 am »

Ok anyone know how or why my adventurer can't walk over bridges that I built in Dwarf mode? Been using an awesome world from DF2012 so I'm not sure about the latrst version

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: November 03, 2014, 02:12:25 am »

From toady one on the devlog: 11/02/2014Toady One The stress timer in adventure mode was moving far too quickly.

I bet this would explain the companions not seeming to decompress their stress very well and eventually going crazy.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2440 on: November 03, 2014, 10:26:58 am »

Ok anyone know how or why my adventurer can't walk over bridges that I built in Dwarf mode? Been using an awesome world from DF2012 so I'm not sure about the latrst version

Likely this bug. It's been fixed in version 40.12.

It's a ramp issue. You cannot walk normally over bridges that are built over ramps. You can alt-move over it though.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: November 07, 2014, 01:36:28 pm »

Looks like a variant of the goblin towers annoyance that last floor can only be accessed (and left) by ALT+direction instead of only direction like all the other floors for some reason.
reported there :
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=8303

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: November 07, 2014, 08:48:54 pm »

For the ramp and hatch at the top of towers there is another way: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=144134.msg5784375#msg5784375
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: November 08, 2014, 12:51:59 am »

How good would a masterwork platinum toy hammer be as a weapon?
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: November 08, 2014, 12:53:49 am »

Very. High density and force applied to a small contact area do super well in DF's combat engine[IE:Whips].
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 327