Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 327

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 616476 times)

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2670 on: January 19, 2015, 02:57:23 pm »

Does an adventurer ever die of old age, can that happen while you play him? [:

(Yes, I calculated that when you take 10 minutes per day and your adventurer would live for another 80 years, assuming he's a dwarf I'd guess, you need to play that adventurer for a theoretical 187 days (spend ingame). I still would love to know if that is possible or not - theoretically.)
Yup.  They can die of old age.  People have reported seeing NPCs die of old age while fighting them, and also reported have their (unretired) character die of old age 1 click after starting.
Well, "unretired" I can understand if you played Fortress Mode inbetween - but I thought like ... suddenly your adventurer dies of old age while you play him.
It says my dwarf has some grey hair already, made me think about it I guess. I mean, I got a slab with me, just in case, but currently I don't want to read it.
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2671 on: January 19, 2015, 03:15:43 pm »

Its possible while playing.  Once the minimum age is reached [MAXAGE:xx:yy] they can keel over any time.

If you take out the 'yy', than they could theoretically live forever, albiet they can start dying of old age at any point after 'xx'
  If you remove max age completely they are immortal.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2672 on: January 19, 2015, 04:09:15 pm »

Its possible while playing.  Once the minimum age is reached [MAXAGE:xx:yy] they can keel over any time.

If you take out the 'yy', than they could theoretically live forever, albiet they can start dying of old age at any point after 'xx'
  If you remove max age completely they are immortal.
I'll just read my slab, instead of smashing people with it, if I feel like the dwarf's getting old ... if he even gets to get old. But still, good to know.
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2673 on: January 20, 2015, 05:38:59 am »

How important is the to-hit bonus on ranged weapons?

For example, if you had a masterwork crossbow would you be better off using that than throwing bolts? (assuming equal throwing/crossbow skill). Do masterwork bolts give to hit bonuses when fired from a crossbow? What about if you throw masterwork bolts?
()==[:::::::::::::>

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2674 on: January 20, 2015, 08:55:06 am »

Quality of the  launcher has zero effect on the force, speed, or effect of the projectile.  It only affects the launcher's own physical attacks.
  The quality of the bolts, on the other hand . . .

So, you could throw you masterwork bolts, and they would be better than regular bolts.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2675 on: January 20, 2015, 10:01:13 am »

I had an adventurer dwarf, who wasn't strong enough to wear all the armor he could wear and still move at maximum speed. How does aluminium armor compare to other metals? It's not as strong, but would aluminum chain shirt + steel breast plate be much better than just steel breastplate, for example?

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2676 on: January 20, 2015, 10:25:19 am »

For chain mail, the only relevant parts of the raws are shear_yield and shear_fracture, which are for aluminum (assuming whatever mod you are using which allows aluminum armor didn't mod aluminum raws as well)    [SHEAR_YIELD:20000], [SHEAR_FRACTURE:50000].  If chain mail has shear_yield and/or shear fracture higher than the weapon making an edged attack, then the edged attack will be converted to blunt, which in general significantly reduces injury. 

The worst weapon material in vanilla DF is silver, with    [SHEAR_YIELD:100000], [SHEAR_FRACTURE:170000], so unless your mod has lots of enemies running around with weapons made out of soft metals (nickel, zinc, gold, etc), then aluminum chain mail will be worthless except against wood weapons and unarmed attacks.

Furthermore, your steel breastplate will stop almost anything that hits it, unless there are creatures/weapons with attacks as powerful as the DF2012 crossbows (a.k.a. railguns).  The aluminum chain mail will provide negligible extra protection in the areas covered by the breastplate, so the only places which might get additional protection would be the neck and arms, which as mentioned above will only be against really weak weapons.

TL:DR - don't bother with the aluminum chain mail.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2677 on: January 21, 2015, 10:28:38 am »

Quality of the  launcher has zero effect on the force, speed, or effect of the projectile.
What about accuracy? Just asking to be sure, as one of my dorfs in fortress mode just made an artifact bow.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2678 on: January 21, 2015, 10:35:38 am »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Crossbow

[edit] Ranged combat

Crossbows shoot bolts as their ammunition, and will engage targets up to 20 tiles away, including shooting down z-levels. Shot bolts may miss the target and fly a bit further than intended, potentially striking another foe (but never a friendly soldier on the other side).
The material that the crossbows are made of are irrelevant to ranged combat, where the quality of the craftsmanship and skill of the marksdwarf determine accuracy, and the quality and material of the bolts themselves (metal being better than bone being better than wood) determines damage. If you are confident your melee soldiers can keep your marksdwarves safe from melee engagements and have a skilled bowyer, then easily-produced, high-quality wooden or bone crossbows are excellent equipment for your marksdwarves.
As can be expected, targets that are stationary are much easier to hit then those that are moving. Since marksdwarves can down targets at range, they do a much better job taking down fleeing thieves and goblin ambushes that your regular soldiers might not be able to catch.
The wiki says quality of the bow affects accuracy.
PKs DF Mod!

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2679 on: January 22, 2015, 04:17:36 am »

Hey guys and girls heres my question.
How important is willpower if you are just going to become a vampire?
I made a shrine with enough blood for many adventurers so getting attacked isnt a problem.
As far as I know willpower only really matters for pain resistance and being a vein chompa makes you painless.
Did a quick google check. But it just lead to vampire related threads here.
And can you pick up babys from fort mode? So I can have a mobile snack? Yeah it sounds sick but we are where we are...
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2680 on: January 22, 2015, 03:10:20 pm »

Attributes affect skills, so having them is never a bad thing. Especially attributes that affect combat, which willpower does.

Also, you cannot pick up infants any more than you can pick up regular units.

a smiling bearded cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOTHOUGHT][NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2681 on: January 22, 2015, 06:22:20 pm »

Vamps have
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
so if you want to min/max, use willpower/endurance/toughness as dump stats after you've spent some quality macro time turtling up with say 10 shields versus a horseshoe crab.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2682 on: January 22, 2015, 08:14:57 pm »

Your starting attribute range also affects your max cap on that attribute, so starting low in an attribute will prevent you from getting it as high as someone that has started higher.

As willpower is an attribute that affects combat, and strongly affects dodging, I would not recommend reducing it.

a smiling bearded cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOTHOUGHT][NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2683 on: January 22, 2015, 09:12:13 pm »

Your starting attribute range also affects your max cap on that attribute, so starting low in an attribute will prevent you from getting it as high as someone that has started higher.

As willpower is an attribute that affects combat, and strongly affects dodging, I would not recommend reducing it.

Done straight with zero grind, in complete agreement with you regarding will power in relation to dodging and max stat caps in general.

Just tossing out the other idea that a vampire's no exert means never tire, and no pain means no need for will power/toughness. That's with the powerleveling caveat that your dodge #s end up high enough that any penalty to dodge at legendary++ won't matter once you've reached your final numbers for end/toughness/will.

Of course, it's unknown to me if That Wolf is grinding if any or at all.

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2684 on: January 24, 2015, 10:17:59 pm »

hey guys!

did the 2014 update introduce new ways to collect food? i remember that bags in town or butchering an animal were the only ways before. i found a prickle berry bush but they still don't seem to be harvestable. anything else? i use vanilla btw
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 327