Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 327

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 614996 times)

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2685 on: January 24, 2015, 10:35:04 pm »

hey guys!

did the 2014 update introduce new ways to collect food? i remember that bags in town or butchering an animal were the only ways before. i found a prickle berry bush but they still don't seem to be harvestable. anything else? i use vanilla btw
Yes yes yes. Tis seasonal though. I ate strawberries for a whole season, didnt kill anything till winter came and then I vampired up so I went on a liquid only diet
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

Dashiell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2686 on: January 25, 2015, 10:34:27 am »

Hey guys I started playing adventure mode recently and finally started not dying randomly but
1) Where I can get eq better than iron? (for human)
2) I have problem finding fun, only some camps and tombs so far and ofc I'm not even going close to necromancer's tower. Never getting any lair or beasts - people speaking of beasts mostly don't know poo about them...
3) How useful money really is?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2687 on: January 25, 2015, 10:37:32 am »

Hey guys I started playing adventure mode recently and finally started not dying randomly but
2) I have problem finding fun, only some camps and tombs so far and ofc I'm not even going close to necromancer's tower. Never getting any lair or beasts - people speaking of beasts mostly don't know poo about them...
1) Nope.  Dwarves can make steel, but by default humans cannot, and dwarven steel armor is too small for them
2) Currently, the best fun can be had killing megabeasts or hunting vampires.  As of this point, I have never beaten a night horror (well, I beat a NHspouse . . .)
3)  meh. Its okay in the local area, but I'd attempt to sell it for small trinkets before moving on.  You can sell the trinkets later for whatever you need, but foreign money is currently only worth the metal its made of.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #2688 on: January 26, 2015, 02:49:20 am »

I killed a night horror once. Axes are damned good weapons.
Then again I was demigod. And vampire. And Legendary axeman.
thincake

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2689 on: January 26, 2015, 11:01:41 pm »

Yeah, the skinny/fast ones are awful, I had one who took three or four solid "is sent flying away by the blow" hits from Urist McLegendary, who was literally legendary everything, superdwarven everything. He existed due to a weird bug that made a migrant show up with armoks_blessing active before I had used it I later stole him and his artifact stuff to play my first time in adventure mode. At that point he was a vampire and had waded through hundreds of bogeymen, bashed dragons, giants, and tons of goblins in the brain... and only had a couple of things take more than a couple hits: a hydra where my default "target the head" didn't help anything, and said skinny night horror who kept getting back up when most things would be a pile of pulp.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #2690 on: January 27, 2015, 02:22:44 am »

Have I just been really lucky? I often have loads more trouble with zombies.
Why exactly ARE night horrors so indestructible?
thincake

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2691 on: January 27, 2015, 03:36:08 am »

Not all, but the skinny ones have stats that let them screw you up while being light enough to fall into the weird "almost impossible to pulp" range as I recall, like an undead weasel but bigger, and usually with a knife.

^That's a really strange thing to say and have it make perfect sense.

mineforce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2692 on: January 27, 2015, 12:24:14 pm »

Stay away from necromancer towers, zombies are very strong, and they can even take down a legendary demigod easily.
Who's born in the fortress, die in the fortress

a smiling bearded cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOTHOUGHT][NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2693 on: January 27, 2015, 12:34:19 pm »

Have I just been really lucky? I often have loads more trouble with zombies.
Why exactly ARE night horrors so indestructible?

With a legendary weapon skill (axe), the corresponding fighter stat (both of these are big factors particularly in relation to breaking grips by cleaving) and if your shield/armor/dodge were at least at proficient, statistically you were fine. Tactically, I don't know what you choose to do. Did you have armor? Were you inside the lair by yourself, outside, with or w/o meatshields, etc? The more you have stat-wise/companion-wise the more mistakes you can afford and what not.

Stat minimums feel like high agility with proficient defensive skills, and competent weapon and fighter while wearing no armor. But that's for the slower muscular/incredibly muscular night troll/horror (that you'd fight solo and win consistently against outside the lair). You can get lucky and fight the unarmed weak/skinny night troll/horror like this, but really in this case you need to be fully armored (with no armor speed penalty) to avoid bad rolls when strikes come through your shield/dodge, have more than proficient weapon and corresponding fighter stat, minimum talented defensive skills. This is outside the lair soloing as well. The most statistically uphill night troll/horror fight would be alone inside the lair, versus a weak and skinny unarmed night troll.

DF shorthand for fast is skinny. Muscle can be a modifier to speed. So weak and skinny is *tends to be* the fastest type of night troll/horror as opposed to incredibly muscular. Speed trumps everything else (which can make them the most dangerous type of troll/horror, particularly if unarmed, since they work in grabs if weaponless). The description weak is also in relation to other night trolls, so compared to o dwarf/human/elf/gobin, it's still freakishly strong. I'd also wager the guess the nopain, noexert, nofear, very high speed and strength, high wrestling, striking and dodge is what makes them so dangerous.

From the solo combat perspective, "feeling speed" and pretty much "feeling if you are equal to, better than or being outclassed by," is more about how long it's taking to score good hits and specifically getting that hit to the leg/foot that will drop their speed by getting them onto the ground (less about duration of the match itself). When this starts to take too long, likely any mistake will a fatal one. You know when you're lucky if you somehow get away with a mental error and all this is going on. Night troll fights that end too quickly I'd chalk up to whatever. Winning the medium/long length combats at the lower stat ranges is where I'd say you're winning consistently.

tl;dr - It depends...

Not all, but the skinny ones have stats that let them screw you up while being light enough to fall into the weird "almost impossible to pulp" range as I recall, like an undead weasel but bigger, and usually with a knife.

^That's a really strange thing to say and have it make perfect sense.

Interesting. I haven't had a character with the strength to send anyone flying in 40.xx. But then I never go vampire and my attributes are baseline. Was the blunt you used high contact area? With blunt I generally use war hammer, so breakage, but no massive pulping, also unlike morningstar, no easy cutting of tendons and ligaments.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2694 on: January 27, 2015, 01:43:38 pm »

Artifact platinum war hammer on a migrant who arrived with the armoks blessing script active (legendary all, superdwarven all), then spent several years training until the first gob siege, helped take out two more sieges, was stolen to use for adventuring, and became a vampire.

drone1230

• Bay Watcher
  • Feel the might of my epi-pen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2695 on: January 28, 2015, 09:52:12 pm »

I just got the message "You hear a low boom". After looking around and finding nothing, I am informed that "You hear a metallic ching". What does this mean? I couldn't find anything in the nearby area.
Just when you think you're good to go, you run into an undead camel that is a master of kung fu

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2696 on: January 28, 2015, 09:53:11 pm »

I just got the message "You hear a low boom". After looking around and finding nothing, I am informed that "You hear a metallic ching". What does this mean? I couldn't find anything in the nearby area.
Critters trying to make babies using sound files.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2697 on: January 28, 2015, 09:53:56 pm »

It means Kakapo are nearby.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2698 on: January 29, 2015, 04:20:17 am »

Every time I see that message I think "sniper just popped a clip, he's out, RUSH HIM!"...

As for questions, is uh, this type of thing more common than I think? I'm uh... confused. Didn't think "a time before time" could end up being nearly twice as long as "the time after a time before time" has.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2699 on: January 29, 2015, 06:08:43 am »

What is armoks blessing?
How do I get it?

Could I make a vampire adventurer become a king in a fort?
How come every adventurer has very long hair in my games?

Can I make a fort prision and make a colloseum for my adventurer? Maybe using levers to release beasts vamps and the like.
Can I kill sentients and drop them at a fort for their use, mmm thats a tasty *minced elf roast*
Could I leave my adventurer in a claimed camp and then embark with a fort and fight them or will they run/be passive.
Is being a werebeast necromancer husk better than a vampnecro husk.

Love That Wolf
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 327