Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 327

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 614759 times)

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2775 on: February 16, 2015, 01:02:04 pm »

I seem to have spawned in a part of a dwarf site that has no exit :( i'm stuck. Are there any dfhack commands that could warp me out of here?
That's bug 6541: Generated dwarf fortress has no exit or similar.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2776 on: February 16, 2015, 07:40:36 pm »

First, try to fast travel, if there is a highway there you might be able to move around until you see "Fortress Entrance" listed in the m screen to the right and then just exit through the ramp, if not travel to another fort with an exit.

If you have advfort installed and a pick, ctrl+t should pull up the advfort interface, then shift+r or shift+t to scroll to dig, then dig through to where you need to be.

If you can see people talking or are able to follow your site indicator compass until you have the *** above you (at which point your z above/below screens should show blackness like 26 z above you or something) do so and dig through to the exit tunnel.

If you can't find it that way you can use reveal to find it.

If you don't have a pick: createitem WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_PICK STEEL

If you found the exit but don't want to dig through to it, gm-editor -> pos -> edit the x/y/z values carefully because you can stick yourself in a wall, midair, or magma if not careful.

I like the advfort method myself, feels more dorfy, and it's handy for getting to fbs and dragons and hydras which previously sacked a fort and then took up residence in a secluded bedroom somewhere.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: February 16, 2015, 10:46:50 pm »

I seem to have spawned in a part of a dwarf site that has no exit :( i'm stuck. Are there any dfhack commands that could warp me out of here?
That's bug 6541: Generated dwarf fortress has no exit or similar.

Why is it a bug? I can understand why its reported. Its annoying.
But not all civs have surface access. Who can say they have never heard of dwarves shutting themselves in?
The only thing I would want fixed would be that you cant start there as an adventurer.
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: February 16, 2015, 11:06:18 pm »

It's a bug because the site will still have an above-ground portion. There is still a trade depot, and a surface entrance.

There is supposed to be surface access, but for whatever reason portions of the site will be cut off from this entrance, preventing adventurers from leaving.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: February 17, 2015, 01:41:37 am »

Sometimes during the generation of a site it will lose links between upstairs and downstairs portions, and occasionally new chunks of wall will get filled in under the main walled off surface fortress portion.

From my experience cleaning out uninvited inhabitants of fallen forts it looks like the part of the map directly below that walled off section gets randomized a bit when the map loads.

The section here with the bits of smoothed unexposed walls is all the same height and width as the surface fort is, and sometimes these parts regen in ways that don't link properly with the rest of the fort:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It sucks when you wind up in those parts with the broken links.

As you can see there isn't a ramp up to the central ramp spiral either... and some stray lava?

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: February 17, 2015, 03:55:12 am »

Sometimes during the generation of a site it will lose links between upstairs and downstairs portions, and occasionally new chunks of wall will get filled in under the main walled off surface fortress portion.
Or a workshop appears in a really bad place: 8656, "Generated fortress has exit blocked by workshop"
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Frizzil

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer, Guitarist, and Squirrel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2781 on: February 20, 2015, 02:13:35 am »

Hi, just now familiarizing myself with the latest changes to adventure mode.  I've gotten a character pretty much overpowered, but I still can't find a hydra, dragon, titan, etc.  How do I actually do this?  Villagers instructions seem to refer to locations that I can't find in any menu, including Logs and while Traveling.  Am I missing something obvious?

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: February 20, 2015, 02:37:54 am »

Press 'Q' and open the logbook.
There should be a list of beasts, groups and events on the left.
Cycle through it. The locations that had been revealed to you or told to you should have the 'Z'oom to comand highlighted it will go to a map square and it shoud be in that area.
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

MW88

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2783 on: February 27, 2015, 06:09:26 am »

Hi, I just started playing again and got a few questions.

1. What does making someone my hearthperson actually do? As far as I can guess it just makes them a member of my 'group' for whenever I view legends mode. But do they physically move to my town to protect or live in it? Is there anything else I'm missing?

2. What's the best way to actually enter a goblin or dark fortress thing? I see brown road-like tiles and a few big buildings on the travel map. But when I'm actually on the ground I have no idea where to go. There's just trenches that lead nowhere and small stone buildings with stairs that go nowhere. I found one place with a basement and every door led to a dead end.

3. Is there anyway to reliably encourage retired human adventurers to marry and get a proper lineage? With dwarves I can just move them into a fort and encourage things from there... but for humans I can see myself getting lost in fortress mode for a decade or two and coming back to someone who's still single and hopeless. My goal is to eventually give someone a family then make them a vampire or necromancer and retire them as king. Then play in fortresses to pass the time and check on what they're all doing in legends mode.

4. Aaand finally... what happened to zombies? Is it just my generated world or did they suddenly become literal demigods in combat and where simple stealth/outrunning them no longer works?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: February 27, 2015, 06:25:43 am »

Zombies were changed, gotta remove the hands/head (parts with [GRASP] tags) or wail away til it's a heap of jello and hope for the best.

I know as a hearthperson you can get involved in wars and such, I was asked to go assassinate the leader of a neighboring hamlet who was getting ready to start a war with the one I was hearthed to. I don't think you can give suggestions like that to npcs yet sadly, but I do think it makes them easier to recruit as companions when you're running with a larger group already.

With a fortress go up there in the day and try to line up the map until you can see the purple tower at the middle. If there is a river running near it or a part of the trenches without a lot of white blocks on the map, line up and head in that way, ignore the compass, just make sure you keep heading the way you were lined up and you'll bump into the tower. With a bit of luck you can often find a river to follow that will let you skip most of the trenches too.

Rumrusher would be the expert on marriage and babies and such.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: February 27, 2015, 07:06:25 am »

1. What does making someone my hearthperson actually do? As far as I can guess it just makes them a member of my 'group' for whenever I view legends mode. But do they physically move to my town to protect or live in it? Is there anything else I'm missing?
I think you can get them to rule over a site while you're gone to prevent you from "forgetting your bold pronouncement". I've never actually gotten them to accept the offer though.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

tyrannus007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: February 28, 2015, 03:01:55 pm »

I'm at a dwarven hillock right now. When I ask the residents about any troubles, they say, "The army of [some goblin] is marching here!" I'd like to fight that army. Should I wait around for the goblins to show up? What happens if they do?
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: February 28, 2015, 08:48:03 pm »

You'll see em on travel map and get tons of ambushes.

bleekmiddel

• Bay Watcher
  • who are you gonna call? DWARF FORTRESS!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2788 on: March 01, 2015, 07:54:55 am »

just a quick question
Is it possible yet to kill the entire world population because I tried it a few verslons ago and back then it didn't work

MW88

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: March 01, 2015, 07:57:48 am »

Zombies were changed, gotta remove the hands/head (parts with [GRASP] tags) or wail away til it's a heap of jello and hope for the best.

I know as a hearthperson you can get involved in wars and such, I was asked to go assassinate the leader of a neighboring hamlet who was getting ready to start a war with the one I was hearthed to. I don't think you can give suggestions like that to npcs yet sadly, but I do think it makes them easier to recruit as companions when you're running with a larger group already.

With a fortress go up there in the day and try to line up the map until you can see the purple tower at the middle. If there is a river running near it or a part of the trenches without a lot of white blocks on the map, line up and head in that way, ignore the compass, just make sure you keep heading the way you were lined up and you'll bump into the tower. With a bit of luck you can often find a river to follow that will let you skip most of the trenches too.

Rumrusher would be the expert on marriage and babies and such.

Heh, so dragons and Rocs are no problem, but a mere goblin zombie is something I just have to run away from. I can't imagine a zombie hydra. At least I can sneak up on the giant living creatures.

About those fortresses... apparently I was running around just regular old goblin pits. So I'll keep that in mind for when I visit a real fortress. For some reason all the goblins live on the roof of whatever tower they're living in. It's also the only hatch in the game I've noticed where you have to enter/exit them from a certain direction using alt+move. The fact that the entrance to the roof is a pain to get into and that they're even on the roof in the first place was what was confusing me. I was running around for like 20 minutes wondering where all the goblins were.

Ah I see... has Rumrusher made any topics or something about the subject?

Anyways, thanks for the quick advice

I think you can get them to rule over a site while you're gone to prevent you from "forgetting your bold pronouncement". I've never actually gotten them to accept the offer though.

Interesting... I never had a problem with "forgetting your bold pronouncement". Which offer are you talking about when they decline? To become a hearthperson or for you to step down and them to rule in your place?

I believe the last one just makes them lord. The first thing I did was make all the living guards in the building my hearthperson and I never had a problem with losing my title or lands. You can even get a companion, who is also a hearthperson, to just wait there permanently for good measure. Which I did since I still have no clue what my hearthpeople do when I'm not around... or if they move at all.
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 327