Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 327

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 615810 times)

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2835 on: March 24, 2015, 08:46:28 pm »

Crafting from your kills still goes beyond the purview of an adventurer and too quickly slides into Monty Haul modding. Which is what wanderer's mod sounds like, especially coming from your descriptions;]

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2836 on: March 25, 2015, 12:15:46 am »

Eh, it's easy enough to just pull up dfhack and whip up a set of candy armor if I just want it all now.

But sitting there and painstakingly hacking away at a pile of bones from a monster you killed until you get a halfway decent helm and breastplate to parade around in is just thematically cool in my book. Leaving a pile of dragon bones sitting there to get scattered and do nothing is just disappointing.

We've got people who deliberately leave civilization and wander into the middle of nowhere for various reasons. Coming back and bragging about killing a dragon is fine, wearing armor you found in the cave is fine, but sitting there and carving the bones into armor (which is something you can do in fort mode, so the technology clearly isn't that unusual) isn't fine? Don't gotta make the different materials better if you don't want, but as it stands you go from finding a monster because some random villager mentioned them, and possibly learning about them through legends or coins/engravings/etc, plus a bit of fame from telling people about it if you don't die... to finding a monster to not just make things safer for others, but also to become stronger, better equipped, and so forth.

I'm not using the original wanderer's mod, I've tweaked it for my tastes, and I enjoy having the option of grinding my way up from the bottom or rushing to the top and enjoying the toys if I choose to. It was cool using advfort to dismantle some forges and melt them down then making a suit of armor out of them, but it wasn't as cool as tracking down an ettin, hacking at them til they bleed out, cutting the corpse up and wearing it around after eating the heart (or more accurately an item made from the heart) to gain some of its power... continuing around the world, saving kids, taking part in wars, tracking down a dragon and trading in my ettin bone gear for dragon bone gear.

Edit to add: the main reason I am so happy with adding a dragon bone template that is roughly equivalent to steel isn't because I can wear/make things from it, it's because it makes dragons really freaking tough, no longer are they one-shot kill glass cannons... you gotta work for it if you want to get the toys from them, and I've lost more than enough dorfs I painstakingly set up, learned about the area, grabbed whatever gear I could scrounge up, and so forth... just to remember that steelboned dragons aren't "whack it in the head and it falls over" type fights anymore, even blocking the fire with a shield only helps so long when they start snatching limbs off of you.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 12:22:17 am by Max™ »

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2837 on: March 25, 2015, 04:51:37 am »

Sitting there carving bones sounds like it shouldn't take a skill developed through study under masters and years of crafting experience. Making armor out of it is another matter. It's not just a craft you pick up by rumors from the local village. But finding someone who has more skill than they can convey in a couple lines of dialog to do that carving for you, that would be thematic, plausible and balanced.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 04:55:39 am by Uzu Bash »

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2838 on: March 25, 2015, 04:55:01 am »

dp

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2839 on: March 25, 2015, 04:55:22 am »

damn, again

Ok, actual question, though this would probably be an obvious answer with any other game, the question has to be asked for this game: does eating butchered vampire parts transfer vampirism?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 04:59:05 am by Uzu Bash »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2840 on: March 25, 2015, 07:54:10 am »

^Sadly no, blood is given the interaction token so unless you cook a vampire blood roast it's gotta be ingested through drinking... wait, does that work? Hmmm...
Sitting there carving bones sounds like it shouldn't take a skill developed through study under masters and years of crafting experience. Making armor out of it is another matter. It's not just a craft you pick up by rumors from the local village. But finding someone who has more skill than they can convey in a couple lines of dialog to do that carving for you, that would be thematic, plausible and balanced.
Well, the armor generally starts out being pretty crappy, it can take a while to churn out a good set of stuff, I mean, I've got an elf who has been hacking stuff to death with his sword for a long time now, he's got 5 skills at Great or better: Fighter (which trains really quickly), Tracker (which trains ridiculously fast), Armor User which tends to train at a pretty quick rate, Swordsman which can take a while to train but starts pretty high if you choose to dump a lot of points into it, and Bone Carver.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is the case because well, dragons and ettins and hydras and such tend to be very big and leave a lot of bones, so I took the opportunity to invest a lot of time towards making masterworks... a lot of time. There are heaps and heaps of lesser quality stuff all over the place, and though you can't tell easily this next screenshot has parts from three different dragons plus the hydra and crap... where the hell is my ettin bone crown...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Incidentally I thought I was clever and gave the balm of strength a permanent but lower level power-up while the balm of power is a significantly larger but temporary boost but it looks like you can only use the balm of power once... hmmm, wonder how I can get the same effect to keep both relevant without it just being a matter of "zerg a dragon and pray it bleeds out before you do"...

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2841 on: March 25, 2015, 09:44:27 am »

Does anyone know if a vampire char you created and then retired will ever get the opportunity to be cast out of his entity by drinking from townsfolk around him while the worlds is updating between game sessions and fortress mode runs?
I ask because I tested it on one world with about 200 vampires being retired during a nearly 700 years time frame (I'm a very patient guy, it seems) and it didn't work.
So I don't know if I just had bad luck or it's impossible.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 09:51:04 am by SaD-82 »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2842 on: March 25, 2015, 11:57:22 am »

I'm not even sure if they'll feed after being retired.

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2843 on: March 25, 2015, 12:34:56 pm »

Hmmm, that would be bad.
And even more so as I saw one "normal" vampire becoming enemy-labeled and cast out because of his thirst during that test - therefore he definitely got a sip out of someone.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2844 on: March 25, 2015, 02:51:27 pm »

From what I've seen, retired adventurers don't do anything except forfeit their titles with no explanation. They may relocate shortly after retirement, but from there, they do nothing, nothing happens to them, they take no no risk, they just get older.  If you embark a fort right on top of them, then they might come to life, otherwise they're just limp puppets sitting on a shelf for someone to thrust a hand up their ass and make them jaunt about again.

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2845 on: March 26, 2015, 08:52:01 am »

I once had a retired char who had to fought for supremacy over his holdings.
He did well by slaying the opposer.
After I unretired him and retired him again he began wandering the wilds and finally was killed by a giant mantis.
All in all it took nearly 10 years for this to happen.
So I wouldn't say that it's hardcoded for them to do nothing.

tyrannus007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2846 on: April 02, 2015, 08:57:09 am »

All right, so I just rescued literally about a hundred kids from a dark fortress, and I have some questions:
1. It says I have an agreement with 146 kids to take them to safety, but I only have about 50 with me when I travel. I imagine there's some sort of cap to my companions, but where did the other kids go?
2. I got attacked by a goblin patrol. I fought my way out of it, but what would have happened if I was killed? Would the goblins have captured or killed all the kids? Would they have just returned to their old homes?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 08:59:35 am by tyrannus007 »
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2847 on: April 02, 2015, 10:03:56 am »

All right, so I just rescued literally about a hundred kids from a dark fortress, and I have some questions:
1. It says I have an agreement with 146 kids to take them to safety, but I only have about 50 with me when I travel. I imagine there's some sort of cap to my companions, but where did the other kids go?
2. I got attacked by a goblin patrol. I fought my way out of it, but what would have happened if I was killed? Would the goblins have captured or killed all the kids? Would they have just returned to their old homes?
The kids would have died or ran away and turned into recruits
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2848 on: April 02, 2015, 01:47:55 pm »

Likely rampaging through the dark fortress and playing with their former masters.

Mrandom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2849 on: April 02, 2015, 08:40:10 pm »

Is there any way to slay all the zombies in a necro tower? They always respawn at a fixed number when the map is loaded. The tower is in the heart of some good lands so I want to get rid of it.
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 327