Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] 250 251 ... 327

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 608473 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #3720 on: May 03, 2016, 12:24:12 am »

Can that be confirmed as an explicit effect of stunning versus the speed reduction? It seems like all forms of speed reduction massive reduce the threat level of foes in general. A hydra is death on a stick even without sheer attack spam and statistics (a lucky hit will occur eventually) on its side. A winded, nauseous hydra that can't stand up is nearly harmless.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3721 on: May 03, 2016, 08:32:01 am »

Can that be confirmed as an explicit effect of stunning versus the speed reduction? It seems like all forms of speed reduction massive reduce the threat level of foes in general. A hydra is death on a stick even without sheer attack spam and statistics (a lucky hit will occur eventually) on its side. A winded, nauseous hydra that can't stand up is nearly harmless.

Perhaps as it's not all that clear since you can't achieve a stunned status effect without the speed drop. Also in your hydra example, winded and nauseous are both negative status effects like stunned. They too cannot be divorced from the speed drop.

Anyways, let's look at speed drop by itself. Once again, pit two dwarves against one another: Side#1 NPC and Side#2 you.

On Side#1 NPC, defensive stats set to grandmaster.

On  Side#2 you, shield and dodge set to grandmaster, *but* armor user left as dabbling.

Like the first test, weapon stats (sword at expert) for both sides set several levels lower than grandmaster defensive skills.

Everyone wears full metal (iron) armor as before. Weapons are wood. Two changes to Side#2 you: shield and greaves are platinum. Result is walking speed for Side#1 is 1.000, but you Side#2 is .311.

What you'll see is speed drops do not result in the same number of defensive failures as stunned. There is the difference that stunned halves speed from 1.000 to .500. Here you're not stunned, but you are at .311 speed which is much lower than the NPC's 1.000.

All significant speed drops can produce a defensive failure (in block and/or dodge) similar to being stunned, but to lesser degree.

These tests are both really sloppy excursions into !!science!!, but both roughly indicate that stunned compounds the negative for a speed drop. What the specifc negative skill drop % for stunned itself is is unknown like that of winded or nauseous.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3722 on: May 03, 2016, 11:42:32 am »

Hmm, that seems about right, yeah. o.O
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3723 on: May 03, 2016, 09:31:04 pm »

So according to the wiki, it should be possible for an adventurer to, under the correct circumstances, write a secrets of life and death book if they become a necromancer. However, after becoming a necromancer and acquiring some paper, I don't seem to be able to do so. Is the wiki wrong?
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #3724 on: May 04, 2016, 10:24:16 am »

Can anyone confirm or deny that claim I'd read before about being stunned applying a debuff to your skill rolls? :V
Yep. I get stunned, my dodge chance goes from 'Dodge <Proficient>' to 'Dodge <*lower thing, can't remember*>'.
thincake

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3725 on: May 04, 2016, 10:53:35 am »

So according to the wiki, it should be possible for an adventurer to, under the correct circumstances, write a secrets of life and death book if they become a necromancer. However, after becoming a necromancer and acquiring some paper, I don't seem to be able to do so. Is the wiki wrong?
Do mean a sheet? you need a quire or a scroll to write.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Luponius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3726 on: May 04, 2016, 06:50:30 pm »

With the new update, it's possible for us to perform... and I end up telling tales about random lads and lasses which appears to improve my speaker skill (although VERY slowly)...  I happend to find a +<<+silver shadu+>>+ as well and it's apparently some form of a stringed instrument... Is there some way to play this thing?

In fact, in general, is there anywhere that explains all the new additions and how they're used? (Speaking from an interface point of view, not gameplay)

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3727 on: May 04, 2016, 07:30:16 pm »

With the new update, it's possible for us to perform... and I end up telling tales about random lads and lasses which appears to improve my speaker skill (although VERY slowly)...  I happend to find a +<<+silver shadu+>>+ as well and it's apparently some form of a stringed instrument... Is there some way to play this thing?

In fact, in general, is there anywhere that explains all the new additions and how they're used? (Speaking from an interface point of view, not gameplay)

wiki isn't updated, just have the instrument in your hand and play a song that uses it then choose your instrument.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3728 on: May 04, 2016, 08:07:56 pm »

Can anyone confirm or deny that claim I'd read before about being stunned applying a debuff to your skill rolls? :V
Yep. I get stunned, my dodge chance goes from 'Dodge <Proficient>' to 'Dodge <*lower thing, can't remember*>'.

Looks like a nice multi-level debuff. Had my character roughhouse with a troll recruit. Let the troll charge to get the stunned status. Interestingly, it's not a flat debuff:

From Legendary Shield User to Professional - a drop of 6 levels
From Accomplished Dodger to Proficient - a drop of 5 levels

Luponius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3729 on: May 05, 2016, 02:52:08 am »

wiki isn't updated, just have the instrument in your hand and play a song that uses it then choose your instrument.

I suppose I'm missing something to play the song then... is it from performance?  Cause I only have "Tell a story" under there...  All attributes are average or above but I'm probably missing some skills since I started out as a peasant with swim / dodge / read only...  Any way to practice music or w/e before I start playing songs?

Gun_Secutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3730 on: May 05, 2016, 09:22:43 am »

Are the fame requirements for recruiting people higher now? I'm getting rejected way more than before.
Also, how do you start brawls? every time I do they quickly turn lethal. Maybe you can't use low blows and such?

I think it's just rare. Notice how necrotowers are always full of random other books.

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3731 on: May 05, 2016, 10:04:38 am »

Brawls should have no wrestling and maybe no kicking (e.g. only fist punches).
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

Gun_Secutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3732 on: May 05, 2016, 07:16:23 pm »

Well that explains it then. I was indeed wrestling those drunks.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3733 on: May 06, 2016, 01:27:10 pm »

dwarven drinking mound drunks, or people in a tavern?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Gun_Secutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3734 on: May 06, 2016, 07:00:42 pm »

Tavern. Things quickly got messy since everyone around decided to join in and 10 minutes later the tavern was filled with blood and guts.
Super cool stuff.
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] 250 251 ... 327