Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 327

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 616413 times)

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #3870 on: June 24, 2016, 02:00:44 pm »

What is the best way to acquire books in adventure mode? I want to be a hermit-philosopher.
Probably raid a Human or Dwarf site library.

There's more stuff to do than ever in Adventure mode. But, there's no way to copy a book or scroll? :( That's unfortunate. Copying stuff is the whole point of Scribes (in Fort mode, anyway).
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 02:03:12 pm by Thundercraft »

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3871 on: June 27, 2016, 01:25:55 am »

How does one actually earn fame? I've been going around killing bandit leaders and spreading the rumors to the nobility in towns and hillocks, but I'm still stuck with two companions. What am I doing wrong? Do I have to report the rumor to many different people so that it actually spreads faster, or do I have to report all the deaths to a select few nobles and recruit people only from that one town? Because I've been spreading rumors of only a few bandit leader deaths between at least three groups of nobles, and I would assume that after eleven dead bandit leaders that I'd be able to recruit some more companions.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #3872 on: June 27, 2016, 03:10:38 am »

How does one actually earn fame? I've been going around killing bandit leaders and spreading the rumors to the nobility in towns and hillocks, but I'm still stuck with two companions. What am I doing wrong? Do I have to report the rumor to many different people so that it actually spreads faster, or do I have to report all the deaths to a select few nobles and recruit people only from that one town? Because I've been spreading rumors of only a few bandit leader deaths between at least three groups of nobles, and I would assume that after eleven dead bandit leaders that I'd be able to recruit some more companions.
Generally it takes a few in-game days for rumors to spread in a single site. Also I don't think it'll immediately let you recruit more companions just from killing bandits - try to kill a few megabeasts and such, I find that usually lets me recruit more people.

Another thing - good thing to do is to go to a town and use the "tell a story" option in a tavern or a marketplace and tell people about how you killed a beast or something - you just have to remember the name of the site where they were hiding at.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3873 on: June 27, 2016, 06:42:31 am »

The storytelling is great, lay down before you start so people don't bump you out of the way, or climb up and hang off a wall or something.
What is the best way to acquire books in adventure mode? I want to be a hermit-philosopher.
Probably raid a Human or Dwarf site library.

There's more stuff to do than ever in Adventure mode. But, there's no way to copy a book or scroll? :( That's unfortunate. Copying stuff is the whole point of Scribes (in Fort mode, anyway).
Uh, you can totally write copies of stuff you've read.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3874 on: June 27, 2016, 11:17:55 pm »

While trekking through the mountains with my trusty thrusty companion, and in the middle of slaughtering our 6th group of falcon men, she randomly started attacking me. I've asked her to cease hostilities several times, and she always accepts, right before attempting to stab me again. I know that I did not accidentally attack her, but is there a way to fix this?

This is also kind of urgent, I don't want to save over this, just to have to put the rabid dog down while I'm weeks away from civilization.

Edit: I've disarmed them and choked them unconscious. When they woke up, it was the same story, so we got into a bit of a fist-fight, and then they yielded. I asked them to join me, they said yes, and then said "I must withdraw!" and started running away. She's also not in my companions list.

Edit: After breaking their hip and having them fall unconscious again, I greeted them when they woke up. She said "The enemy! You are a protector of the defenseless, but that hardly matters now. You are also a known killer. You ended the days of Olngo Demontwilight." Olngo was a bandit leader that she never saw me kill, she only heard the rumors, and I guess she just snapped in the middle of the mountains and attacked me.

Edit: She responded to all other manner of questions like normal, but whenever I asked her about myself or about how she's feeling, she would say the above line.

Edit: I punched her and accidentally broke her neck. Two questions now. How do I make her not hate me, and what's the DFhack command to heal someone?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 11:49:13 pm by tonnot98 »
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3875 on: June 28, 2016, 02:22:52 am »

Edit: I punched her and accidentally broke her neck. Two questions now. How do I make her not hate me, and what's the DFhack command to heal someone?

You do realize that if you have questions about how to use DFHack, a utility, you'd be better off asking in the DFHack thread... right?

To answer your last question; on how to heal someone:
There's the full-heal script: "Attempts to fully heal the selected unit. full-heal -r attempts to resurrect the unit."

I don't know whether or not DFHack still has a script or something to make a hostile unit friendly. There used to be a DFusion plugin for that. But in a recent DFHack they removed DFusion. So... Just ask in the DFHack thread for a definitive answer.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 02:29:39 am by Thundercraft »

PTDfun

• Bay Watcher
  • Blob...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3876 on: June 29, 2016, 05:08:30 pm »

I started a new adventure in a fortress full of books and other dwarves. The first thing I did was read the books and loot some cabinets. That is all I have done so far, however, I am now a proficient tracker, an adequate student, and a skilled reader. (I started as a novice in reading but no points were allotted to tracking). While the increase in my reading skill is obvious, is it possible that the books I read could have increased my tracking ability? (Some of the books had to do with animals and their behavior.)
Wand of Not Touching - The target thinks they have been poked. Range of one cm.
I want one of these.

bleekmiddel

• Bay Watcher
  • who are you gonna call? DWARF FORTRESS!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3877 on: June 30, 2016, 01:50:17 am »

Just wondering is there a required skill level for bonecarving because I can carve me killing a lemur in lemur bone but I'm not able to carve me killing goblin mcpointyears in goblin bone

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #3878 on: June 30, 2016, 02:56:50 am »

Just wondering is there a required skill level for bonecarving because I can carve me killing a lemur in lemur bone but I'm not able to carve me killing goblin mcpointyears in goblin bone
No, you can't use the bones of sentients at all, unfortunately. Goblins, humans and such are out of the question.

bleekmiddel

• Bay Watcher
  • who are you gonna call? DWARF FORTRESS!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3879 on: June 30, 2016, 10:40:15 am »

That kinda sucks welp guess I will have to make me killing goblin mc pointyears in lemur bone then.
Thanks for the answer btw

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3880 on: June 30, 2016, 11:26:56 pm »

I started a new adventure in a fortress full of books and other dwarves. The first thing I did was read the books and loot some cabinets. That is all I have done so far, however, I am now a proficient tracker, an adequate student, and a skilled reader. (I started as a novice in reading but no points were allotted to tracking). While the increase in my reading skill is obvious, is it possible that the books I read could have increased my tracking ability? (Some of the books had to do with animals and their behavior.)

Tracking is always on and always leveling up. I'd assume you moved around enough for it to go up. It's pretty much the first skill a person gets to legendary. That or fighter.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3881 on: July 01, 2016, 11:08:53 am »

That kinda sucks welp guess I will have to make me killing goblin mc pointyears in lemur bone then.
Thanks for the answer btw

Somewhere belatedly, see issue: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=9171

I still miss my minotaur leather loincloths. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

leafbarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident pokemon fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Mewtwo mod
« Reply #3882 on: July 01, 2016, 12:42:32 pm »

Motherfuck... How do I force my allies to swim? I've given them [AMPHIBIOUS], so they can't drown, but even if I get them into the water, their AI just shuts off. And before you say anything about rivers, it's a small ocean that I need to cross.
Quote from: leafbarrett
They can do whatever the heck they want. That's why they are nobles, cause they CAN.
King Henry the IV or something had a lot of wives, most of whom he executed. Because he could.
A ton of them mass-murdered Jews and Muslims. CAUSE THEY COULD.
A roman emperor made his horse a noble, cause he could.
And I modded them all out of existence, because I could.
sig text

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3883 on: July 01, 2016, 04:03:31 pm »

Motherfuck... How do I force my allies to swim? I've given them [AMPHIBIOUS], so they can't drown, but even if I get them into the water, their AI just shuts off. And before you say anything about rivers, it's a small ocean that I need to cross.

I was going to say, it's rather hit-or-miss as to whether your allies will cross a river, let alone an ocean. Sometimes if you linger in the water near them, they'll blunder in after you even if they can't swim. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3884 on: July 02, 2016, 11:58:36 am »

How is an adventurer supposed to craft bones or leather? I'm playing a dwarf adventurer in 0.43.03 with a world that was generated in 0.42.05. I don't see any sort of reaction besides knapping and spitting. Butcher appears when there's a corpse. Writing options appeared when I found a quire.

I've tried both with the bones/hide on the floor and in my hand, while wielding a pickaxe in the other (works for butchering.) I get that I don't have any of the carpenting options in the old world, but it's not like a craftdwarf's workshop was added to move the other reactions to.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 327