Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 327

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 608526 times)

Arthropleura

• Bay Watcher
  • Elven Historian
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #3990 on: August 19, 2016, 07:06:59 am »

Can I mine candy now?
Nope, no mining at all as of yet.
We are currently three turns in, and the main hall is coated in blood, intestines and random corpses. There's a huge pile of 3000 items made of human body parts in a corner and remaining members of the staff of the museum are, as I type this, being slowly choked to death by one of our adventurers.

Malakor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3991 on: August 19, 2016, 07:10:19 am »

Can I mine candy now?
You can use a pickaxe to "mine" megabeasts made out of "candy" though, if you're into that.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3992 on: August 20, 2016, 08:35:16 pm »

Can I mine candy now?
You can use a pickaxe to "mine" megabeasts made out of "candy" though, if you're into that.

I need a marzipan megabeast mod, stat!
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

xandalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3993 on: August 22, 2016, 01:53:31 am »

Why do fortress dwarves (when playing from a retired fortress) all say "ask me when I return home" or some such, when asked for directions or about the local area? I'm trying to get directions to the fortress's home civ site, but none of them seem to realize they are home.

edit: well, I found out why no caravans. All the other civ sits are in ruin. Retired my necro-vamp, danger-room trained dwarf, back at my fortress and went back to fortress mode on a save copy. Time to go break her back out, and go see just how bad it is...
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 02:06:02 am by xandalis »

xandalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3994 on: August 22, 2016, 03:48:17 am »

On a different note, my adventurer just strangled a dragon to death. Kinda disappointed, I was hoping to feed from it before killing it. Oh well. Time for an undead dragon.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3995 on: August 22, 2016, 03:55:23 am »

On a different note, my adventurer just strangled a dragon to death. Kinda disappointed, I was hoping to feed from it before killing it. Oh well. Time for an undead dragon.

It should've passed out the first time strangling occurred. THAT is when you can feed, while they're out cold. If they went from conscious to dead without passing out, something has gone hilariously wrong.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

xandalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3996 on: August 22, 2016, 04:10:28 am »

It should've passed out the first time strangling occurred. THAT is when you can feed, while they're out cold. If they went from conscious to dead without passing out, something has gone hilariously wrong.

Not the first time that's happened, actually. I've found it tends to happen more often if I've wounded the target quite a bit, though. In this case, I sure wasn't going to attempt to strangle from the start. I checked the announcements log, and it never passed out. I've had a few cases as well where it wasn't until the 2nd or 3rd round of strangling that the target passed out.

Although, since I now have a dragon corpse following me around, I have another question: If I tell it to wait at a campsite I made next to my fortress, will it stay there until I go back? Or will it possibly wander off and/or (worse) follow me to the fortress? I really don't want to slaughter my own fortress (as it is, I've become ruler of quite a few hamlets... that are also now devoid of life).

Edit: nevermind, dragon corpse got lost when I had to cross a river. Oh well.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 08:24:12 am by xandalis »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3997 on: August 22, 2016, 12:09:47 pm »

It'll track you down if you get close enough, and you can also strangle a hydra by choking a single throat, they go from "being strangled" to "suffocated" with no "passes out" stage, which raises nearly as many questions as how something with 6 more necks forgets to use them.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3998 on: August 22, 2016, 12:18:28 pm »

It'll track you down if you get close enough, and you can also strangle a hydra by choking a single throat, they go from "being strangled" to "suffocated" with no "passes out" stage, which raises nearly as many questions as how something with 6 more necks forgets to use them.

You can't be serious. D:
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3999 on: August 22, 2016, 03:39:10 pm »

You can't be serious. D:
While it's news to me that you only need to choke one throat, there is the secondary concern of the hydra being far stronger than any unmodded adventurer. There's still no way to do it in vanilla, the hydra will break your grip first.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4000 on: August 22, 2016, 03:48:19 pm »

...yeah. In practice, you have to severely reduce it's speed by leg shots, gut shots, and puncturing at least one lung. I have killed hydrae by braining all 7 heads, but never by choking. Even weakened like that, they're too huge to maintain a grab.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4001 on: August 22, 2016, 04:17:26 pm »

I love fighting hydras. It's so easy to slip up and then boom the hydra bites all your limbs off. Losing is fun.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4002 on: August 22, 2016, 04:43:19 pm »

Until you cripple them. It seems like even though the flurry of attacks is drawn out over time, once they're slowed by at least two methods it seems like you'll never get hit if your skills are decent, whereas before they WILL eventually hit you.

If I recall, either nausea or windedness might reduce skill rolls like stunning does? Or maybe...question: Does recently dodging reduce the effectiveness of subsequent dodges in that turn?
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4003 on: August 22, 2016, 09:21:23 pm »

I am fully modded, to the point where it is hard to be sure that any further strength increase won't roll me over into spd: 0.099 territory, but yes they are totally strangleable.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
As for why it was in a forest retreat, repeatedly sleeping and waking up in a tree... that's another story.

Urist, James Urist

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4004 on: August 29, 2016, 01:35:46 am »

What effect does an adventurer's appearance have on gameplay? I remember reading that hair color and facial structure are mostly cosmetic and just flesh out the character a bit, but I also remember reading that if a character has a "broad token" - or something along those lines - then a character could do things they otherwise could not; for instance one could wield a 2 handed sword in one hand.

So to be more specific how would being wiry, short, or muscular affect one's character in terms of gameplay? Would a shorter character be harder to hit, while a taller one would be easier to hit?
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 327