Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 266 267 [268] 269 270 ... 327

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 614745 times)

Z49000

• Bay Watcher
  • [HERETIC]
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #4005 on: August 30, 2016, 10:05:14 pm »

What effect does an adventurer's appearance have on gameplay? I remember reading that hair color and facial structure are mostly cosmetic and just flesh out the character a bit, but I also remember reading that if a character has a "broad token" - or something along those lines - then a character could do things they otherwise could not; for instance one could wield a 2 handed sword in one hand.

So to be more specific how would being wiry, short, or muscular affect one's character in terms of gameplay? Would a shorter character be harder to hit, while a taller one would be easier to hit?

Height and broadness increase creature size, making creatures like dwarves able to wield weapons that'd normally too large for them, like great axes and two-handed swords. Well, should. There's a bug that prevents this in fortress.
"Science isn't about why. Science is about WHY NOT?"- Cave Johnson, Portal 2

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4006 on: August 30, 2016, 10:17:23 pm »

What effect does an adventurer's appearance have on gameplay? I remember reading that hair color and facial structure are mostly cosmetic and just flesh out the character a bit, but I also remember reading that if a character has a "broad token" - or something along those lines - then a character could do things they otherwise could not; for instance one could wield a 2 handed sword in one hand.

So to be more specific how would being wiry, short, or muscular affect one's character in terms of gameplay? Would a shorter character be harder to hit, while a taller one would be easier to hit?

Height and broadness increase creature size, making creatures like dwarves able to wield weapons that'd normally too large for them, like great axes and two-handed swords. Well, should. There's a bug that prevents this in fortress.

Having large in your description offers the most strength oriented bonuses. It's particularly good in terms of establishing solid grips, that humanoids of lesser muscle and size cannot break. An average sized dwarf normally cannot ragdoll or latch an unbreakable grip onto a true night troll (not a troll spouse), but a large dwarf very often can.

Being large for your character's race can also be a random thing as opposed being a specific description detail. My current dwarf had broad and skinny as his starting description. Him being large for a dwarf was only something I discovered once the character creation process had ended and the adventure had begun.

In general I had avoided descriptions with "large" thinking that while this would aid strength, it might also nerf an already crappy dwarven agility. That's all supposition though.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4007 on: August 31, 2016, 05:42:59 pm »

Helps with tackling people too.

Smaller races can slam into and bounce off, being a large wall of muscle gives the opposite result.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4008 on: August 31, 2016, 07:04:57 pm »

Yeah, you get the advantage that they stun themselves on your character and their skill stats are then cut in half; ie a lvl 11 weaponmaster is now a lvl 6.

Thought about it and answered my own question.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 07:18:36 pm by peasant cretin »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4009 on: September 06, 2016, 05:57:30 pm »

So. I've been given a mission to deal with an enemy milord is skirmishing with. Went in, mopped up every last soldier in sight, killed their lord and law-giver, but that wasn't enough to satisfy the quest. Any suggestions?
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4010 on: September 07, 2016, 07:14:01 am »

Bring a companion, claim it, give them leadership of the site, go turn it in?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4011 on: September 07, 2016, 03:33:16 pm »

As reported in the issue later on, this eventually ended in a useless loop of "get quest, immediately be able to turn it in" and such. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Sponge

• Bay Watcher
  • I like wearing shoes on both of my feet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4012 on: September 08, 2016, 01:41:41 pm »

Am I the only one who has a hard time using fast traveling? I just can't find anything...
I like wearing shoes on both of my feet.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4013 on: September 08, 2016, 06:43:30 pm »

Find stuff in fast travel is very difficult, yes.

Use your quest log while traveling, hit the map toggle button to bring up the descriptions or local map.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #4014 on: September 13, 2016, 10:51:47 am »

What happens when you banish a demon?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #4015 on: September 13, 2016, 12:45:33 pm »

They're effectively dead without a trace.

Anyone know what's the average bogeymen's bodysize? I seem to recall it's 10k, but I can't find a source of that.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 12:55:05 pm by ShinQuickMan »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4016 on: September 14, 2016, 01:21:54 pm »

Anyone know what's the average bogeymen's bodysize? I seem to recall it's 10k, but I can't find a source of that.
Nope, but wat:
Code: [Select]
Wagon 12,000
Dwarf 60,000

A 3x3 tile (6x6 meter) wagon is built from slightly more material than a swan. As a 6x6 meter board (without wheels), it's only a third of a millimeter thick. No wonder they scuttle the instant they are reminded of mortality.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 01:53:54 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

falcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4017 on: September 14, 2016, 02:22:56 pm »

Is there currently any way to make a retired non-dwarf adventurer playable in fortress mode? Can they become citizens if they're made official bards of hearthpersons or something before retiring on site?

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4018 on: September 15, 2016, 01:03:18 am »

Is there currently any way to make a retired non-dwarf adventurer playable in fortress mode? Can they become citizens if they're made official bards of hearthpersons or something before retiring on site?
I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but reports are that if you become a hearthperson, you will be a citizen.  If you become a bard, then it's like all other performers in an inn -- you stay at the inn and you then petition for full residency after 2 years.  As a performer, you can't do any duties, but will be able to do them after getting full residency.  So the fast way in is hearthperson, which requires that you have build up some reputation as a fighter.

Fawnek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4019 on: September 16, 2016, 08:33:47 pm »

so you can make things with skin but i dont know how? can anyone inform me?
We all have an Urist in our lives.
Pages: 1 ... 266 267 [268] 269 270 ... 327