Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 327

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 608504 times)

Urist, James Urist

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #4395 on: July 14, 2017, 05:20:15 am »

Got a couple of questions here.

1. Are there currently any penalties to one-handing a weapon that your adventurer is too small to one-hand? For instance I have a small-sized elf adventurer that wields a longsword multi-gripped, but if I remove a shield it goes into single-grip. Does this have any impact on accuracy or momentum?

2.How exactly do attributes like Strength and Agility increase, from use of a skill or skill level-ups? Can endurance or agility be upped by simply running around?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4396 on: July 14, 2017, 09:48:22 am »

Got a couple of questions here.

1. Are there currently any penalties to one-handing a weapon that your adventurer is too small to one-hand? For instance I have a small-sized elf adventurer that wields a longsword multi-gripped, but if I remove a shield it goes into single-grip. Does this have any impact on accuracy or momentum?

2.How exactly do attributes like Strength and Agility increase, from use of a skill or skill level-ups? Can endurance or agility be upped by simply running around?
1. Yes, but I'm not sure exactly what they are.
2. Use of a skill, but no, you have to do something a bit more strenuous than that. Go fight someone.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4397 on: July 14, 2017, 12:35:11 pm »

Can dwarfs in fort mode read slabs with secrets? Have no luck with founding proper book.
IDK about reading slabs, but I think an adventurer knowing secrets has a chance of including them when writing a book.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Fluffy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4398 on: July 14, 2017, 02:07:28 pm »

You can copy any book you know, i believe. Like a mega scribe.
Sorry for my bad english

hertggf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4399 on: July 21, 2017, 01:52:10 pm »

Can dwarfs in fort mode read slabs with secrets? Have no luck with founding proper book.
IDK about reading slabs, but I think an adventurer knowing secrets has a chance of including them when writing a book.
Yes, use content type "manual" from the x menu and you'll produce a book with the secrets.

gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4400 on: July 30, 2017, 06:53:46 am »

It's been awhile since I've played Fortress mode and I noticed the wiki mentioned that some menus allow for using the mouse to select options... does anyone know of any plans to get something like that in Adventure Mode? I'd mostly like to see this for the conversation screen - I feel like half of my time in the game is spent scrolling through conversation options, and it would be an absolute godsend to be able to just click them.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4401 on: July 30, 2017, 05:00:12 pm »

DFHack adds some mouse functionality; I haven't used it enough to recommend it but you may ask in the thread whether it suits your needs.

Have werebeasts become neutral to undead? When I visited a tower, they ignored me and I had to confirm each time I started to fight them. I don't know whether they ignored my werebeast companion though, she was certainly aggressive against them but that may just be to assist the companions who weren't.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4402 on: August 02, 2017, 11:48:45 pm »

I've started to get used to using the keywords to search for the correct reply.  Almost all of the responses are filterable (a few of them aren't, but I forget which ones).  So if I want to ask for permission to stay a day: "k", "enter" (to continue conversation), then type "perm<enter>".  You have to experiment to see which filter keywords get to the correct entry in the least keystrokes, though.  It's a PITA, but probably faster than using a mouse once you learn the relevant keywords.

gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4403 on: August 09, 2017, 08:22:14 am »

I've started to get used to using the keywords to search for the correct reply.  Almost all of the responses are filterable (a few of them aren't, but I forget which ones).  So if I want to ask for permission to stay a day: "k", "enter" (to continue conversation), then type "perm<enter>".  You have to experiment to see which filter keywords get to the correct entry in the least keystrokes, though.  It's a PITA, but probably faster than using a mouse once you learn the relevant keywords.
That's something I forgot to mention. Some of them just aren't there. It's been about a month since I played so I'm having trouble remembering but there are certain types of sites that just can't be filtered for. I'm not sure if they are absent entirely from the list or if they just aren't responsive to the search engines. When it is working, though, the filter does help a ton.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4404 on: August 09, 2017, 08:20:27 pm »

Yes, you are right.  One of these days I will sit down and make a list and make a bug report (or at least look to see if there is already a bug report).

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4405 on: August 12, 2017, 03:47:31 am »

I noticed that NPCs may try to remove unconscious enemies' armor to get easier strikes. How can I do this?
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4406 on: August 12, 2017, 04:46:25 am »

I noticed that NPCs may try to remove unconscious enemies' armor to get easier strikes. How can I do this?
Wrassle them with a free hand.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4407 on: August 12, 2017, 05:02:17 am »

Yeah, use wrestling to grab the item with a free grasp, then press ',' to pass one tick of time, and once you've successfully grabbed it, press shift+i. It'll be listed in red as the last item, press it's letter then press 'a'. It'll now be removed and occupying that grasp, so you'll need to drop or throw it to remove another piece. Or you could try beating them to death with it.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4408 on: August 12, 2017, 07:01:19 am »

Just hitting Enter is enough to execute the move, but you could also attack again and either get a cheap Strike in or Dodge any direction to grab and remove at the same time. Neither will reduce your grab success.

Jerry The Hellbound

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional "Knife-ear" torturer 1-800-elfgod
    • View Profile
    • This is also for my Custom Race: Solari!
« Reply #4409 on: August 16, 2017, 06:50:18 am »

How exactly do you raise your reputation?
As before I figured that I had to tell a hearthlady or lord or a leader of a faction that I'm "working for"
I've done this before and ben considered a hero but I don't know if its the right way
Jerry.
This is also for my Custom Race: Solari! (Currently outdated)
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=155455.0
Also made that awesome avatar. took me hours with Gimp: (also the two light & dark sprites are from Stardew Valley)
http://i.imgur.com/8x7aX7T.png
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 327