Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 304 305 [306] 307 308 ... 327

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 615688 times)

Senator Jim Death

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #4575 on: September 15, 2018, 11:14:54 pm »

I just built my first camp in adventure mode, but whenever I pass time by building or traveling the books and artifacts I have in containers and pedestals tend to get strewn about on the ground outside my hut. Interestingly it seems like the only ones that do this are all from the same collection of items I found all just lying on the ground all over the place about 30 feet from a fortress. The collection includes like seven books, an artifact mug and an artifact copper crossbow. First, why are all these artifacts (books do count as artifacts too after all) just lying around on the hillside, and second, why are the leaving my house?

Edit: On closer inspection I found even more artifacts near that fortress, a dwarf bone armor stand, a human-fitted dress, and a couple more books

Edit 2: I ended up hearing a rumor that the dress was wanted back in the fortress, though interestingly it was said to be last held by some rando. I wonder if that means it was stolen from the fort, but for some reason dropped right outside the fort, and dwarves aren't smart enough to grab it from 20 feet away.

Yeah, I have this same issue with a bunch of books I had in a cabinet that I built in a camp of mine. I haven't tried to reproduce it with other non-artifact items, although I do think I had a chest in the cabinet that stayed where it should be. I had in the camp a bunch of drunks in "wait here" mode, and I assumed they had been strewing them around during the hour I spent building a floor tile.

One book ended up a little buggy: it's in the cabinet and also in my backpack, and I can't pick up the one in the cabinet. Something like that.

Probably not related, but book handling is pretty shoddy in this version anyhow. Adventure mode bookcases don't work, and libraries in that world of mine have literally every floor tile four-deep with books and scrolls. Dwarf Fortress: Episode I: Knee-deep in the read.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 11:16:34 pm by Senator Jim Death »
If it's not trying to be fun, it's not trying to be a video game.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4576 on: September 15, 2018, 11:36:38 pm »

Yeah, artifacts in AM have long been buggy.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Slozgo Luzma

• Bay Watcher
  • RIP Emeg Orglebeamed, the Domination of Castles
    • View Profile
« Reply #4577 on: October 09, 2018, 06:51:03 pm »

I've been scouring a ruined forest retreat looking for three artifacts that were lost there (according to the rumors I have anyway). Is there somewhere that I can expect to find them, like only on the ground, only in tree homes, etc? Or do I need to scan the entire settlement?

Slozgo Luzma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4578 on: October 14, 2018, 08:39:38 pm »

And another question: I know that a lot of sites have information that isn't represented in the "real world", like taverns in dark fortresses, but I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for this situation:

A human civilization has been almost wiped out by elves, but their civ leader has taken up residence in exile in an outdoor tomb site that belonged to her civilisation. This site is also occupied by elf nomads from another civilization. I opened all of the tombs and didn't find any living beings (besides the mummies I guess :/) but I did find elf tracks leading from walls of the pyramids that lined up with their centers. Is it possible to maybe intercept travelers from the world map? And if so, would the civ leader have any reason to travel onto the world map?

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4579 on: October 17, 2018, 03:06:55 am »

Where in all the hells are these "well-traveled" people? Everyone seems to know who they are but nobody can tell me where. Very frustrating trying to get a quest off the ground.

Slozgo Luzma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4580 on: October 17, 2018, 03:26:17 am »

Often they are a person in the mead hall (if that's where you are). Usually they'll be a soldier, ranger/hunter, or have profession like thief or snatcher if you're talking to goblins. If they don't know where they are you're out of luck and you could try repeating the question to get a different suggested "well travelled person". If, however, they say "we are in [SITE_NAME]. I don't know exactly where to look" Then you'll just have to ask everyone you meet who has a profession that travels until you find that person

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4581 on: October 17, 2018, 03:55:04 am »

Well I left the site for a bit and did something else, then came back and he finally appeared. It was in a hillocks so there weren't very many buildings to search but the first time he was just nowhere to be found.

Pyoro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4582 on: October 17, 2018, 02:15:34 pm »

How do I sell goods? I have an item I light up for trade, and [a]sk for currency. Then I press "t" and the merchant is like "yeah just tell me what you want". I get the implication is to barter but I just want money!

Trading in adventurer mode is currently borked. What you have to do, is select the coins in their inventory, how many you want from them, select the good you want to sell, and then press (t). If you picked too many coins, the merchant will tell you "Throw in some more goods and I can make you an offer", so just keep decreasing the coins you want from him until they agree to the trade.

Senator Jim Death

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4583 on: October 17, 2018, 07:35:22 pm »

How do I sell goods? I have an item I light up for trade, and [a]sk for currency. Then I press "t" and the merchant is like "yeah just tell me what you want". I get the implication is to barter but I just want money!

Trading in adventurer mode is currently borked. What you have to do, is select the coins in their inventory, how many you want from them, select the good you want to sell, and then press (t). If you picked too many coins, the merchant will tell you "Throw in some more goods and I can make you an offer", so just keep decreasing the coins you want from him until they agree to the trade.

As long as we're on the topic of coins, the wiki indicates that coins don't have their face value outside of their civilization. A person might be better off trading for light goods like gems instead. That also spares you from having to go through the interface for using currency during trading. 
If it's not trying to be fun, it's not trying to be a video game.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4584 on: October 17, 2018, 09:53:59 pm »

As long as we're on the topic of coins, the wiki indicates that coins don't have their face value outside of their civilization. A person might be better off trading for light goods like gems instead. That also spares you from having to go through the interface for using currency during trading.

That's a bit of a double edged sword. You pick up an extra, high quality steel axe and the person you're trading with only has a topaz ring, you can easily make the trade happen but maybe it would have been better if they had coins so you could get a little closer to the actual trade value of what you have. A combination of the two would probably work better.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4585 on: October 17, 2018, 11:21:14 pm »

What's worse: The loss of value for trading coins to another civ, or the value wasted by using those coins to barter with another merchant before you leave?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4586 on: October 17, 2018, 11:43:58 pm »

What's worse: The loss of value for trading coins to another civ, or the value wasted by using those coins to barter with another merchant before you leave?

Are you seriously trying to make me do math?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4587 on: October 17, 2018, 11:53:56 pm »

Are you seriously trying to make me do math?
☼Science☼!*

Not you specifically. The wiki doesn't state what coins are worth outside their civ.

*☼ as in value (Urists), not necessarily masterwork.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 11:58:53 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Yerland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4588 on: October 20, 2018, 08:55:44 pm »

How do I deal with bandits? I was told of some bandits at a town and so I went there and ambushed the warriors hanging out there, got through like 5 or 6 of 17 before started fleeing. And now that I'm walking around they arnt attacking me, only a few even spit at me or comment on all the murder.

Pyoro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4589 on: October 22, 2018, 01:55:25 pm »

How do I deal with bandits? I was told of some bandits at a town and so I went there and ambushed the warriors hanging out there, got through like 5 or 6 of 17 before started fleeing. And now that I'm walking around they arnt attacking me, only a few even spit at me or comment on all the murder.

When someone tells you that there are criminals at a town, they are either hiding out in the dungeon under the keep, or catacombs under temples. You must have accidentally attacked the wrong people.
Pages: 1 ... 304 305 [306] 307 308 ... 327