Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 305 306 [307] 308 309 ... 327

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 615838 times)

Fatace

• Bay Watcher
  • Cease hostilities? Never!
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #4590 on: October 27, 2018, 06:07:00 pm »

After a couple of long playthroughs of both Fortress and Adventure Mode (for testing my mod), there are some things that I have noticed... and I do have questions about after making a new world, then a few years in fortress mode, then switching to adventure, and back and forth to cause "time skips" for my adventurers story... but I have come across a few questions and problems...

1. If I come across a town (Example: its Year 84 and the town is rather small), the more I play in Fort mode, will the town change after an x amount of years? Or the ability to sorta watch it get bigger?

2. How do I avoid this.. odd skulking civ home cave glitch, it causes the game to freeze if I return to the place, i've noticed it only happens if I resurrect someone through necromancy(or modded resurrected secret ability) and accidently let them die in there for something.. its annoying and kinda story breaking!

3.   Ive noticed.. for both Dark Fortress/Pit sites, and even kobold cave camps, they cant be destroyed by the player in adventure mode.. kobolds just respawn with new people... does slaughtering entire sites even damage the population? I killed off a civ, then returned to Fortress mode just to see it still say there are people still there.

4. Can Towns, ect. be saved by the player if we kill off the evil civ within it?

5. I killed off a evil civ that was tormenting 2 towns in fortress mode, I switched to adventure mode, and the townsfolk were just off the site "fleeing" from it... when do they return? lol theres nobody left in the towns...
I once had a 30 dwarf glacier fortress once.. was going great till the dwarf merchants brought along a WereKoala and killed everyone...

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #4591 on: October 29, 2018, 07:47:18 am »

How do I deal with bandits? I was told of some bandits at a town and so I went there and ambushed the warriors hanging out there, got through like 5 or 6 of 17 before started fleeing. And now that I'm walking around they arnt attacking me, only a few even spit at me or comment on all the murder.

Criminals mean usually petty thieves at this point and time, as opposed to bandits who are actually up to kill you for your loot. If you attack criminals unprovoked, especially if you end up killing them, people will resent you for it. Talk about the events to the people of the town, and ask them what they think about you.

Tho after they fear you enough, bandits will stop attacking you because they don't want to die, that's something that can happen.

Were they bandits or criminals ? Important distinction

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4592 on: October 31, 2018, 04:53:29 pm »

It's not even that complex. If you broke up their band then the people of the village won't care about the details, only that you stopped them from harassing the town. If some are still hanging around you might want to be thorough, because even two might start extorting villagers for valuables when you're out of sight, so murder the remainders for not having the sense to get the fuck out. Only their faction will consider it murder, and the best remedy to that is to murder their entire faction.

If you wipe them all out, the rumor about them harassing the town will remain forever. You could describe each and every death to them and they won't stop reporting it as a 'trouble'.

Yoshiquest

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4593 on: November 05, 2018, 09:12:51 pm »

I'm trying to play a dancer adventurer, but I only seem to gain dancing skill when composing. Is this a bug or something? And is there a way to multiply the exp rate for that?

forgotten_idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4594 on: November 17, 2018, 09:18:29 am »

So I've been thinking...say you've got a dorf in your fortress that likes very specific food, like Giant Blind Flying Platypus' minced balls, or something. Is it possible, as an adventurer, to find the said platypus somewhere in the world, catch it and bring to your fortress for breeding?

Pyoro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4595 on: November 18, 2018, 01:11:35 pm »

So I've been thinking...say you've got a dorf in your fortress that likes very specific food, like Giant Blind Flying Platypus' minced balls, or something. Is it possible, as an adventurer, to find the said platypus somewhere in the world, catch it and bring to your fortress for breeding?

Nope, you can't transport animals as an adventurer. However, this brings me an idea. What if, you set up a fortress in an area where you know where will be a platypus, you catch some in cage traps, retire the fort, and have an adventurer move the cage to your fortress? I think you should be able to move caged things, you just can't cage things in adventurer mode

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4596 on: November 18, 2018, 02:34:35 pm »

You could kill it and haul its corpse there at least.

forgotten_idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4597 on: November 19, 2018, 01:47:28 am »

Nope, you can't transport animals as an adventurer. However, this brings me an idea. What if, you set up a fortress in an area where you know where will be a platypus, you catch some in cage traps, retire the fort, and have an adventurer move the cage to your fortress? I think you should be able to move caged things, you just can't cage things in adventurer mode

Exactly my thoughts! Will try this out sometime.

forgotten_idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4598 on: November 19, 2018, 02:27:08 am »

You could kill it and haul its corpse there at least.

This is a neat idea for roleplaying, actually - being a hunter of exotic animals for picky nobles. Not much glory in it, though. Also, how much meat can one person carry? If only I could bring along a wagon...

I think you should be able to move caged things, you just can't cage things in adventurer mode

Speaking of caging stuff, I know there's a lot of mods for adventure mode, perhaps there is one where you actually CAN set up traps and catch stuff? I know there is adventurecraft and whatnot out there, but I've never tried any of this.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 02:29:35 am by forgotten_idiot »

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4599 on: November 19, 2018, 02:37:47 am »

Also, how much meat can one person carry? If only I could bring along a wagon...
An adventurer with a backpack can haul around infinite meat since 'g'etting stuff off the ground and automatically putting it into a container doesn't check container capacity.

You'll have to deal with the drastically increased encumbrance and much lowered speed, though. Jumping, however, seems to completely ignore encumbrance, but you'll have to get creative if you really need to end up exactly one space from where you're standing.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4600 on: November 19, 2018, 05:03:43 am »

You'll have to deal with the drastically increased encumbrance and much lowered speed, though. Jumping, however, seems to completely ignore encumbrance, but you'll have to get creative if you really need to end up exactly one space from where you're standing.

x2222xxx2  x2x2x
2.3.2  x.3.x  23.32
23132  x313x  x.1.x
2.3.2  x.3.x  23.32
x2222xxx2  x2x2x

You could probably also just drop your backpack and pick it up again. Or maybe throw it, if that doesn't spill the contents.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 05:42:25 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Pyoro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4601 on: November 21, 2018, 04:50:49 pm »

Does anyone know if "nomadic" groups that have been forced out of their homes will ever settle back or somewhere else?

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4602 on: December 01, 2018, 07:56:50 pm »

Allegedly, they will settle in other other sites of their civ, or, especially if none exist, caves. Now, weather that is working properly in adv mode is another question.
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

N3kos

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4603 on: December 02, 2018, 08:53:55 am »

Does armour affect the amount of damage punches or kicks do or is it purely based off of the respective skill?

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #4604 on: December 02, 2018, 09:35:40 am »

Armor doesn't seem to figure into unarmed attack's damage. Even skills don't improve damage, only accuracy. What's more important to damage are the mass, attributes (strength, in particular), and material types of the creature/creature's limbs.
Pages: 1 ... 305 306 [307] 308 309 ... 327