Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 320 321 [322] 323 324 ... 327

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 614302 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #4815 on: March 10, 2020, 07:18:29 pm »

The same thing happens with pets you give away - as soon as you fast travel or get far enough away the pet will rejoin the party. But it's still their pet so you can't give it away again. I think there's a bug with the code that keeps parties together and some data somewhere that doesn't get updated. I keep meaning to look into it more and report it.

So no easy ways around it at the time being?  That is a real shame.
well you could kill them...but you probably don’t want to do that

madpathmoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4816 on: March 12, 2020, 06:48:17 pm »

Is accusing vampires broken currently?  I just outted a vampire in a group of civilians, and then nothing.  The vampire, now revealed, continues to do nothing and stand around and nobody else cares.  Jeeze...

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #4817 on: March 13, 2020, 04:17:08 am »

Is accusing vampires broken currently?  I just outted a vampire in a group of civilians, and then nothing.  The vampire, now revealed, continues to do nothing and stand around and nobody else cares.  Jeeze...
That seems to have been an issue for quite a while - I recall it working properly in 40.x versions where the vamp would attack nearby civvies and become no quarter, but after 42 it seemed to bug out and now they only stand around and spit while saying they hate you...and the civvies get pissed if you kill the vamp too.

Huntthetroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4818 on: March 14, 2020, 06:58:37 pm »

What's the best way to try and separate yourself from undead minions as a necromancer?  I have DF Hack but I'm not sure the party commands (Shift+O) it adds work; the moment I fast travel I have a posse again.  If I do something like...  Tell them to build something at my camp and then just avoid the camp will that work?  Does that work with undead animals, I don't really expect it to, but then I'm surprised zombies are even useful enough to build things.

Not being able to do anything with undead besides have them follow me and kill everything they see is the biggest thing making being a necromancer boring.  I know that "in-world" the undead can clearly take SOME orders or they would actually be useless and impossible for an NPC necromancer to direct them to invade forts.  So if there's like, a DF Hack script or .lua any of you can recommend, or other mod that doesn't alter much else I'd love to know.

There's a conversation option to "Ask favor, place request or issue order." If you select it while talking to a pet or other party member, one of the avaliable sub-options is "Ask listener to wait here." Issuing that order causes the listener to remain at their current location until you ask them to follow you again, using the same menu.

madpathmoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4819 on: March 15, 2020, 10:49:33 am »

There's a conversation option to "Ask favor, place request or issue order." If you select it while talking to a pet or other party member, one of the avaliable sub-options is "Ask listener to wait here." Issuing that order causes the listener to remain at their current location until you ask them to follow you again, using the same menu.

I am 100% confident that does not work with undead.

Corpses don't listen or respond, and I can't even try to talk to intelligent undead.  When I move the cursor over them after pressing K, there is no option to speak to them, as if I were selecting an empty tile.

By the way, when an artifact is "lost" in an area, is it at all possible to find it again?  There's a slab that was lost in a hamlet; if I can actually potentially find it, one hamlet isn't that big of an area...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 02:47:41 pm by madpathmoth »

HungThir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4820 on: March 16, 2020, 03:48:03 am »

i believe the dfhack party orders menu (Shift-O) is just shortcuts for the "ask favor, place request or issue order" stuff from the conversations menu... so if it doesn't work from the Shift-O menu, i wouldn't really expect it to work from the conversations menu either (or v/v)

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4821 on: March 19, 2020, 11:23:14 am »

Is there any way to determine the avg. Attributes for adventure mode races? In particular I am interested in the Wild Boar men and the Couger Men.But, a general method would be appreciated if possible. I checked the wiki's version of the raws for the races and I think their size effects their strength value. But I don't know for sure. I think that standard biped gaits might influence agility? Or are they all the same for every race except dwarf?

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4822 on: March 19, 2020, 02:14:43 pm »

How do I get people to acknowledge the bandits I killed?
The scouts have been fighting a giant capuchin for the past month now. They still haven't killed it.

Obsidian 1053

The Sentries are still fighting the capuchin. For two monthes they have done nothing but punch this monkey.

sanchezman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4823 on: March 20, 2020, 07:25:12 am »

How can I involve myself with villainous plots?  So far, I just run around and threaten random bandits to tell me who their master is, but it has yielded no results.  Is there a certain dialogue option I should use when talking to nobles so they give me a lead to investigate?

Lorn Asbord Schutta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4824 on: March 20, 2020, 11:31:57 am »

How can I involve myself with villainous plots?  So far, I just run around and threaten random bandits to tell me who their master is, but it has yielded no results.  Is there a certain dialogue option I should use when talking to nobles so they give me a lead to investigate?
The "master" option doesn't yield anything as of now. You have to ask about plots instead.
Bandit leaders and necromancers have usually some kind of plot and if you are lucky you might interrogate the right noble among dwarves and humans. You will get a plot listed in "Q", under "i"ntrigue, where you should get names and places of interest. You might want to interrogate the same schemer multiple times, so he will reveal more plots of his.
Once you know the names and places, you might try to hunt down the other links from the chain. I haven't done that yet, but probably all you can do now is to interrogate them and foil their attempts by arranging them date with Morpheus brother.

Morning_Oak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4825 on: March 24, 2020, 12:52:06 pm »

Is there a mechanic to give an NPC a cup or goblet full of a poisoned liquid and have them drink it? Will they drink the beverage automatically or will it sit in their inventory?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 01:13:08 pm by Morning_Oak »

madpathmoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4826 on: March 24, 2020, 01:56:11 pm »

Is there a mechanic to give an NPC a cup or goblet full of a poisoned liquid and have them drink it? Will they drink the beverage automatically or will it sit in their inventory?

I've been told that NPCs will automatically, immediately drink anything in a goblet you give them, which is how people usually turn NPCs into vampires.  However, I've also heard that if the NPC has a pouch/bag on them, they will put the goblet in that and not drink from it, so you should try first to offer them something for their pouch.  NPCs sometimes carry their money in bags, but seeing how many NPCs do not know the value of their own coins and aren't exactly wealthy, that shouldn't stop you from being able to trade them something for it.

Mackerel

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4827 on: March 25, 2020, 09:25:11 pm »

A couple of questions from a noob.

1. Is there a link to a guide for how to buy things from merchants?

In the week that I've been playing, I've visited ~20 merchants, and they tell me how much their goods weigh, but not how much they are charging for them.  They are willing to trade for some of my stuff, but they are not willing to tell me how much they'll offer for them.

I have managed to barter a few trades, but that seems unreliable.  I find something I want, and offer a piece of junk armor for it.  I get the "Perhaps you should offer a little more" response.  I add something else.  I put in carved bone rings, one at a time.  Eventually the trade goes through.  Or not.

I have not yet found a merchant that takes gold.  I've read they don't like money from other civilizations, but I haven't found one who'll take gold from their own civilization.  So, can someone point me to a guide of some kind?

2. I've bought beer and spent the night in a couple of taverns, getting charged 2 for a beer and 20 for a bed.  I've got enough money to pay for it, and I try to settle accounts with the innkeeper.  The little window pops up and says, for example, "You owe 4.  How much of your bill do you want to pay?"  I type in "4" and then -- nothing more happens.  Except one time I gave the innkeeper a bone ring I had carved, and the amount due reduced to 2.  But when I close the conversation and open it again, it still says I owe 4.  There's no reaction from the innkeeper:  Urist says, "Mackerel paid his bill.  I am happy."  I'm willing to pay my bill, but in the end I shrug and skip town.  How is this supposed to work?

madpathmoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4828 on: March 26, 2020, 09:38:14 am »

1. Is there a link to a guide for how to buy things from merchants?

In the week that I've been playing, I've visited ~20 merchants, and they tell me how much their goods weigh, but not how much they are charging for them.  They are willing to trade for some of my stuff, but they are not willing to tell me how much they'll offer for them.

I have managed to barter a few trades, but that seems unreliable.  I find something I want, and offer a piece of junk armor for it.  I get the "Perhaps you should offer a little more" response.  I add something else.  I put in carved bone rings, one at a time.  Eventually the trade goes through.  Or not.

That is...  Currently how it works.  Appraisal skill doesn't really exist in Adventure Mode.  If you download DFhack and install that, it includes the value of items in their descriptions, otherwise your characters are always completely unaware of the value of everything.  Otherwise, the only way to trade is to just ask for something far far more valuable (presumably) than what you are giving, and then ask for less and less until they accept.  Don't do it the other way around!  If you start off by offering them way more than what you're getting is worth, they will happily just accept your bad deal as a gift.*

*This applies to all NPCs (not just shopkeepers), as everyone but you knows how much everything is worth automatically.

I have not yet found a merchant that takes gold.  I've read they don't like money from other civilizations, but I haven't found one who'll take gold from their own civilization.  So, can someone point me to a guide of some kind?

Basically coins are worthless in AM except for throwing.  Most merchants seem to have coins they think are worthless instead of ones they can use, so they value them based entirely on material value + weight.  There's no guide to read on how to do it right.

2. I've bought beer and spent the night in a couple of taverns, getting charged 2 for a beer and 20 for a bed.  I've got enough money to pay for it, and I try to settle accounts with the innkeeper.  The little window pops up and says, for example, "You owe 4.  How much of your bill do you want to pay?"  I type in "4" and then -- nothing more happens.  Except one time I gave the innkeeper a bone ring I had carved, and the amount due reduced to 2.  But when I close the conversation and open it again, it still says I owe 4.  There's no reaction from the innkeeper:  Urist says, "Mackerel paid his bill.  I am happy."  I'm willing to pay my bill, but in the end I shrug and skip town.  How is this supposed to work?

This one I can't answer, as I have never even had a tavernkeeper successfully charge me for anything, I ask for a drink and they never get around to me because all the NPCs keep interrupting them with higher priority, and trying to go out of my way to pay for a drink (and then mash . until I get it) when they are free in barrels a few steps away just feels pointless.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 09:45:32 am by madpathmoth »

HungThir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4829 on: March 26, 2020, 10:49:58 pm »

i know that it is possible to pay tavern keepers, either with trade items or coin (if you have a coin type they will accept), because i spent some time figuring out how once, and i generally pay for my tavern purchases rather than just skip town.  but it's been a couple of months since i've played much, and i can't remember the specifics offhand.  but maybe just knowing that it's possible helps?  (i.e. now you know to keep trying things, because something will work eventually)

i also know that it's possible to buy drinks in very crowded taverns and eventually get served, because i do that all the time too.  i generally tell stories while i wait for my drink to arrive, cause it seems to pass game-time a lot faster than just pressing '.' (and if you provide entertainment, tavern keepers give you discounts)

npcs accepting currency is a crapshoot.  if you can "ask or offer currency" and the maximum amount is nonzero, congratulations, you have a mutually acceptable currency.  now you just need to guess how much stuff is worth... (or, install dfhack, and view the item description to see its value)

much of the time, merchants will have an inventory loaded with coins that they don't recognise the value of.  in this case, you will see them in their trade inventory, and they will trade you them as objects for like $1 each (regardless of their face value).  if you don't mind being an asshole, this can be a useful way to get a lot of money cheaply that maybe some _other_ merchant will recognise the value of

i haven't done any real science, or even checked mantis, but i think the "merchant has coins they don't recognise" occurs when there's some inconsistency between the npc's civilisation and the civilisation that controls the location the shop is in.  i believe the npc only recognises coins from their own civilisation, but the "merchant inventory" handling stocks them up with coins from the local civilisation -- or something like this -- and therefore if there's been wars/invasions/coups/migrations/etc then it'll be a mess.  i think this is probably less of a problem in worlds with a very short history, and more of a problem in worlds with a very long history
Pages: 1 ... 320 321 [322] 323 324 ... 327