Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 327

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 615827 times)

Huntthetroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #4830 on: March 27, 2020, 11:04:59 am »

i haven't done any real science, or even checked mantis, but i think the "merchant has coins they don't recognise" occurs when there's some inconsistency between the npc's civilisation and the civilisation that controls the location the shop is in.  i believe the npc only recognises coins from their own civilisation, but the "merchant inventory" handling stocks them up with coins from the local civilisation -- or something like this -- and therefore if there's been wars/invasions/coups/migrations/etc then it'll be a mess.  i think this is probably less of a problem in worlds with a very short history, and more of a problem in worlds with a very long history

Your theory is correct. Here's how I make sure that a merchant will accept the coins I have:

1. Check whether the merchant is wearing a coin pouch. If they don't have one, I don't bother trading currency with them. A pouch marks the wearer as a member of a human civilization. Other civilizations can produce coins, but their currency is usually much harder to acquire.

2. If they have a coin pouch, examine the coins in it. If you have coins of the same type, this merchant will accept your currency, because they are a member of the civilization that minted those coins.

Pompan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4831 on: March 27, 2020, 03:21:16 pm »

Can't find anything on this when searching.

One of my followers broke her foot.
I gave her a crutch and managed to get her to equip it. She now wields in in her hand.

However, she's still moving around on the ground, refusing to stand.
Can't followers use crutches?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4832 on: March 27, 2020, 07:47:34 pm »

Can't find anything on this when searching.

One of my followers broke her foot.
I gave her a crutch and managed to get her to equip it. She now wields in in her hand.

However, she's still moving around on the ground, refusing to stand.
Can't followers use crutches?

Is it just a broken foot, or is there spinal damage?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Morning_Oak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4833 on: March 29, 2020, 10:55:15 am »

I read a post from 2010 (10+ years ago!) on these forums that started any children who ended worldgen as children wouldn't age up in adventure mode, regardless of how many years pass as you play. Has that been fixed on the 10 years of updates Toady has put out?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4834 on: March 29, 2020, 04:08:41 pm »

I read a post from 2010 (10+ years ago!) on these forums that started any children who ended worldgen as children wouldn't age up in adventure mode, regardless of how many years pass as you play. Has that been fixed on the 10 years of updates Toady has put out?
The Museum III just started, and the Museum was probably where you read that. I expect I could give you an answer in a few weeks.

Shalderave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4835 on: April 03, 2020, 12:13:19 pm »

Hey, I haven't played for a really long time and either my world is hilariously harmonious or something's funny here.

Are necromancers and intelligent Night Creatures supposed to all [bar a few monstrous ones] be friendly? Zombies are still as mean, and slow, as ever but there are entire fortresses and such filled with goblins, humans, Intelligent Experiments, and Dorfs coexisting in peace.

I even walked my Master Miner [nothing like dual wielding Steel Picks] into a dark pit and all the goblins there are super friendly.

I'm sure there's a reason for this, complex interaction between civs or such, but it feels so weird. Last time I played, if you saw a goblin your best bet was to krump it before it noticed you.

I guess I'm asking, where's all the murder?

Also, I'm pretty bad at deciphering Legends mode but I'd be happy to upload the save or something if anybody's curious.
When the adventurer is told there is no more need for them, when there are no more targets to kill, why do they act surprised when our "hero" turns towards them and says "No"?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4836 on: April 03, 2020, 01:56:04 pm »

The goblins I meet out on patrol all are hostile, immediately starting out in lethal combat without a word.

The intelligent undead and necromancers at a tower started killing each other after asking to identify.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Morning_Oak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4837 on: April 03, 2020, 07:51:53 pm »

The Museum III just started, and the Museum was probably where you read that. I expect I could give you an answer in a few weeks.

Good to know, I look forward to your findings.

Mackerel

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4838 on: April 04, 2020, 04:17:20 pm »

This old computer I'm playing on is giving up the ghost, so I've purchased a new one.

I've got an interesting goblin character on the old computer, in the df_44_12 legacy version.  I'd like to move him to the new computer, where I've installed df_47_04. 

Is there a guide to doing this?  So far I haven't even found a data file with the character's name in it ...  :(

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4839 on: April 04, 2020, 04:55:33 pm »

This old computer I'm playing on is giving up the ghost, so I've purchased a new one.

I've got an interesting goblin character on the old computer, in the df_44_12 legacy version.  I'd like to move him to the new computer, where I've installed df_47_04. 

Is there a guide to doing this?  So far I haven't even found a data file with the character's name in it ...  :(
You can't transfer adventurers between worlds but you can just load the world in the new version.

Mackerel

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4840 on: April 04, 2020, 06:22:59 pm »

Ah.  Doh.  Thanks!

AshTheTiefling

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Artist, Adequate Modder, Necromancer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4841 on: April 04, 2020, 10:15:50 pm »

Just got the villains update, and as soon as I started adventure mode I wanted to become a necromancer (Because why not.) so I figured out how to make myself a vampire (repeatedly roll dice and hope for the best.) and strolled into a necromancer fort. I didn't know what I'd find, so I explored around, saw my pet raven murdered by dingoes, who then got attacked by undead kobolds. And evenually I found the main tower. I had a nice conversation with the necromancer, and poked around, trying to find the secrets of life and death.
No matter where I searched I couldn't find it. I even raked through the rest of the fort.
Does anyone know how to become a necromancer?
You know what was happening? The terrifying master, nearly maxed all combat skills, was hitting me with some copper earring. Over and over. It took it few days, but he managed to beat me with copper earring.
Welcome to... Megabeast Park! *Raaawr!*

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #4842 on: April 04, 2020, 11:00:09 pm »

Have you looked at the necromancer's inventory?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4843 on: April 05, 2020, 08:13:00 am »

Just got the villains update, and as soon as I started adventure mode I wanted to become a necromancer (Because why not.) so I figured out how to make myself a vampire (repeatedly roll dice and hope for the best.) and strolled into a necromancer fort. I didn't know what I'd find, so I explored around, saw my pet raven murdered by dingoes, who then got attacked by undead kobolds. And evenually I found the main tower. I had a nice conversation with the necromancer, and poked around, trying to find the secrets of life and death.
No matter where I searched I couldn't find it. I even raked through the rest of the fort.
Does anyone know how to become a necromancer?
Hopefully your adventurer can read, because you can't be a necromancer otherwise. Usually there's a slab on a table somewhere in the tower. If there isn't, try reading books with titles containing words like "Death", "Extinction", "The End", etc. If neither of those work you might have to retire and crack open legends mode to see where all the slabs went.

AshTheTiefling

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Artist, Adequate Modder, Necromancer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4844 on: April 05, 2020, 09:35:01 pm »

Have you looked at the necromancer's inventory?
I tried to trade with him, but he had no books or slabs on him. (he did have a kobold eye though.)

Hopefully your adventurer can read, because you can't be a necromancer otherwise. Usually there's a slab on a table somewhere in the tower. If there isn't, try reading books with titles containing words like "Death", "Extinction", "The End", etc. If neither of those work you might have to retire and crack open legends mode to see where all the slabs went.
Yea, my adventurer can read, although when I visited a dwarf necromancer, my human adventurer couldn't read half the books in there. I then went to a human tower and the necromancer tried to murder me... No slab there either.
I didn't think to check legends mode, thanks!
You know what was happening? The terrifying master, nearly maxed all combat skills, was hitting me with some copper earring. Over and over. It took it few days, but he managed to beat me with copper earring.
Welcome to... Megabeast Park! *Raaawr!*
Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 327