Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 327

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 608358 times)

Carcanken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2010, 05:52:40 pm »

How do I equip weapons?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2010, 06:08:14 pm »

Another question.. how do you get quests? I know what your supposed to do, ask around and stuff. I followed what the wiki said, everytime I get directed to some stupid church thing I ask the guy he tells me to do something nature what the hell am I supposed to do? does that even count as a quest?
When you're talking to 'em, choose the 'service' option, that's asking for a quest. :)

So second question, is there a way to get better companions other than training them on wild animals?

Hmm, was this companion just a peasant you dragged out of a town, or was he a soldier? I think it's -usually- best to recruit soldiers from a castle, although they're not as easily impressed so you have to kill more things first.
Umm... As for training, I don't really know. Depends on the peasant, how good they are... Sometimes peasants just die easily when a monster so much as LOOKS at them, but sometimes, like in my current adventure, you get a ridiculously tough peasant, who slices people in half left and right with their chopping knife. :P Maybe look at their description, see if they're ridiculously muscular?
I dunno how to enter the caverns, someone else can answer that.

How do I equip weapons?

Well, if you pick something up, it should go into your backpack. So press 'r' for remove, then scroll down to the weapon in your backpack, and select it. It'll end up in one of your hands. :)

Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2010, 06:35:24 pm »

So second question, is there a way to get better companions other than training them on wild animals?

Sometimes, if you have never fought them, or received a quest against them, you can recruit the bandits hanging out in a bandit camp. They may even give you a quest against their leader (don't believe it. The liars will attack you afterward if you don't recruit them first). I find bandit companions to be of a much higher fighting caliber than peasants or putzmen.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

SurfinShroom

• Bay Watcher
  • Why so cereal?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2010, 07:03:04 pm »

I want to get a quest, can some giv eme a known location to get one? I've just spend 2 hours wandering quicktravelling to all over to find an NPC i'm about to give up :L
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Russian Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

SurfinShroom

• Bay Watcher
  • Why so cereal?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2010, 07:34:14 pm »

I think i'm giving up on adventure mode, i'll stick to good old fortress.
The reason being, I just fought and killed 5 wolves sustaining only i minor injury to my lower leg
Then I travelled one fast travel, had to figh tanother 5 wolves, no problem better than being bored :) but while fighting them, after killed 3 one of them knocked me backwards ( iwas stood up against the side of a river) I ended up inside? Underneath? a river? The wolves followed me in, I can't find anyway to get out, occasionally I get stuck while walking down the river( i decided to follow it to see if I could escape its impossible as I get continually stuck after a few steps the only solution being to throw an item, pick it up and continue) Its stupid i tried > or < but neither let me climb out of the freaking river.. what do I do guys? give up on adventure mode? :/
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Russian Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2010, 07:50:07 pm »

I think i'm giving up on adventure mode, i'll stick to good old fortress.
The reason being, I just fought and killed 5 wolves sustaining only i minor injury to my lower leg
Then I travelled one fast travel, had to figh tanother 5 wolves, no problem better than being bored :) but while fighting them, after killed 3 one of them knocked me backwards ( iwas stood up against the side of a river) I ended up inside? Underneath? a river? The wolves followed me in, I can't find anyway to get out, occasionally I get stuck while walking down the river( i decided to follow it to see if I could escape its impossible as I get continually stuck after a few steps the only solution being to throw an item, pick it up and continue) Its stupid i tried > or < but neither let me climb out of the freaking river.. what do I do guys? give up on adventure mode? :/
It sounds like you are in the water of a river.
[ALT]+directional arrow will allow you to change z-levels, if you have any swimming better than dabbling. If not, you likely are drowning, and without a ramp (ponds and rivers don't have ramps) you will drown.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2010, 08:13:07 pm »

Yeah, ponds etcetera are deadly if you have no swimming skill.
But as for getting quests, just go to a town, (You've found one, right?) and speak to anyone, as long as it's a friendly town. Select the 'service' option and they should tell you of some monster or bandit they want dead. :)
Don't give up on adventure mode, it's awesome!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

SolPyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2010, 12:24:35 am »

Hmm, was this companion just a peasant you dragged out of a town, or was he a soldier? I think it's -usually- best to recruit soldiers from a castle, although they're not as easily impressed so you have to kill more things first.
Umm... As for training, I don't really know. Depends on the peasant, how good they are... Sometimes peasants just die easily when a monster so much as LOOKS at them, but sometimes, like in my current adventure, you get a ridiculously tough peasant, who slices people in half left and right with their chopping knife. :P Maybe look at their description, see if they're ridiculously muscular?
I dunno how to enter the caverns, someone else can answer that.

naa this was a axman I found hanging out with the war-leader of my civ in a hamlet. I thought because he was with the war-leader he would be good, but I trained him just incase on wolves and he did fine.

Sometimes, if you have never fought them, or received a quest against them, you can recruit the bandits hanging out in a bandit camp. They may even give you a quest against their leader (don't believe it. The liars will attack you afterward if you don't recruit them first). I find bandit companions to be of a much higher fighting caliber than peasants or putzmen.

Well I tried that out and the first time it didn't work (I looked in legends mode these bandits were called The God-forsaken Anuses, weirdest name ever) but Ill try again on different ones
Quote from: Neil Gaiman
George R.R. Martin is not your b****.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2010, 12:27:26 am »

Ok how do i get into the caverns below ground? Mountain fortresses no longer exist (Im playing .18 in a world made in .17) so can't get there that way. I heard caves led down there but the two 'caves' ive tried have just been these weird little hills with no entrance and tons of kobolds.

The kobolds killed this companion I had had with me forever. I spent ages training up that meat shield on wolves and stuff and now they kill him with a fricking copper boning knife to the throat >:( ended up losing my sword some how and had to use a kobold leg instead.

Just embark somewhere and dig down into it, then abandon and return as an adventurer.

Sometimes you can get super skilled followers at random, but mostly you have to train them.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2010, 02:58:44 am »

A good way to get companions is to create an adventurer. Note both their name and the name of the town they start in and retire them. Create a new adventurer, find that town and person, and recruit them. You can retire multiple adventurers in the same town to get a party set up the way you want it.

Er, so I've heard. I only ever solo, so I've never tried it.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Hurion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2010, 06:39:06 am »

You don't really need skilled companions.

Just a lot of them.

Jacos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 05, 2010, 09:53:52 am »

How do I edit adventure mode so I can start with, etc, superiour all stats, expert in all skills?
Dwarven Science: We do what we must, because, we're bored.

Every few miles, [the dwarves] stop the cart.  One of the dwarfs (sic) gets off, digs a hole down below the dirt layers, licks the bedrock, and then they know exactly where they are.  It's called GPS: Geological Piquancy Sampling.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 05, 2010, 09:58:55 am »

you can't

do you need adventurer traps on to trigger pressure plates?

Jacos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 05, 2010, 10:21:04 am »

What's better, a great axe or a battle axe? And if a great axe is better, which is better: A copper great axe or a bronze battle axe?
Dwarven Science: We do what we must, because, we're bored.

Every few miles, [the dwarves] stop the cart.  One of the dwarfs (sic) gets off, digs a hole down below the dirt layers, licks the bedrock, and then they know exactly where they are.  It's called GPS: Geological Piquancy Sampling.

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 05, 2010, 11:39:51 am »

What's better, a great axe or a battle axe? And if a great axe is better, which is better: A copper great axe or a bronze battle axe?

If you're fine using two hands for one weapon, the great axe is better.

If your character can lift it one-handed without penalty (test this by making it the only item held and checking if it's held in one hand or "multigrasp"), the great axe is still better, but if you want to use the second arm for something like a shield you'd better go with the battle axe.

As for the copper great axe or bronze battle axe, the great axe will be more damaging but more easily blocked by armor.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 327