Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 327

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 620802 times)

doomdome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #120 on: December 23, 2010, 09:55:50 pm »

If you're playing as a dwarf, is there an specific way to activate martial trance? I've done it a few times, but it happened automatically. Is there any requirement you need in order to activate it?

I think you need to have a lot of enemies near you, and you may need to be surrounded.  I'm not sure exactly what the cutoff for "a lot of enemies" is, but I think the lower limit is 3-4.
I don't believe you need to be surrounded, actually. I once went into a trance right when I walked into view of a bandit camp, and they were all on one side.

Samohan25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 24, 2010, 06:42:13 am »

Another question about swimming: Where can I find a pool or other watersource that already has ramps and is it at all possible to make such ramps?

I started out with no swimming skill but I want to improve it for later attempts but if I go in I just drown before I obtain the novice skill required for climbing out of the pool.

Additionaly, I'm playing using the Genesis mod but can't seem to find shopkeepers, where are they?

Another thing: I can't seem to choke people, regardless of weather I am holding a weapon or not, I grab their throat and wait but nothing happens, do I need more skill or am I doing something wrong?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 09:39:28 am by Samohan25 »

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 24, 2010, 10:16:29 am »

Another question about swimming: Where can I find a pool or other watersource that already has ramps and is it at all possible to make such ramps?

I started out with no swimming skill but I want to improve it for later attempts but if I go in I just drown before I obtain the novice skill required for climbing out of the pool.

Additionaly, I'm playing using the Genesis mod but can't seem to find shopkeepers, where are they?

Another thing: I can't seem to choke people, regardless of weather I am holding a weapon or not, I grab their throat and wait but nothing happens, do I need more skill or am I doing something wrong?

The rarity of ramp-accessible or 4-6 level water is why I always start with Adequate in Swimmer. Though I guess you might try beaches for ramps.

You don't choke people by grabbing their throat and waiting, you choke them by grabbing their throat with one move, putting them in a stranglehold with another, and then strangling them with one or more other moves. All of this you of course do through the wrestling menu, though if they're already in a stranglehold your automatically selected attack when you walk toward an enemy occupied tile might be to strangle.

doomdome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 24, 2010, 05:05:53 pm »

This is a very annoying issue, but it seems I have an arrow stuck in my arm... I hit the key in the inventory that lets me see the object, and there is nothing that I can press to pull it out... How would I go about removing this pesky arrow?
Go to the Complex 'I'nteractions menu (NOT the normal 'i'nventory!), select the arrow, and you'll see an option to pull it out.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 24, 2010, 05:12:07 pm »

Can anybody offer some insight as to what happens between leaving an old fort and revisiting it in Adventure mode?

I finished a rather nice project, backed it up, and abandoned it to do other stuff in the world. Upon revisiting it later in Adventure, I found not a single piece of adamantine equipment was left, regardless of where I stashed it, how it was trapped, etc. with the exception of what I unknowingly left behind in a forge.

And I was so hoping to pickup that artifact adamantine spear I left behind...
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 24, 2010, 05:18:09 pm »

Can anybody offer some insight as to what happens between leaving an old fort and revisiting it in Adventure mode?

I finished a rather nice project, backed it up, and abandoned it to do other stuff in the world. Upon revisiting it later in Adventure, I found not a single piece of adamantine equipment was left, regardless of where I stashed it, how it was trapped, etc. with the exception of what I unknowingly left behind in a forge.

It's there, but very likely nowhere near where it was, because of scatter. It's probably all on the same travel tiles as the original fort, but sprawled around with reckless abandon to basically all of the surrounding areas. You can achieve the same effect by dropping something in some place in the wilderness other than a lair (which makes them 'temporary player homes') and then coming back to the same place and trying to find it later.

doomdome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 24, 2010, 06:26:06 pm »

Really heavy things aren't subject to scatter, so if you want stuff to stay where it is when you abandon, you need to put it in something heavy like a lead bin (or maybe gold or platinum if you're feeling posh). Adamantine itself is remarkably NOT heavy.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 25, 2010, 01:52:52 am »

Seeing as either my searching skill is to low or I'm easily distracted... I tried pouring over the Search function to find out an answer to a question and now... I post it here!

Once I create my adventurer (currently Selti Deertrade the Dwarf... soon to be the Deceased) do my attributes, not skills, ever increase or am I forever stuck with what I begin with?
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 25, 2010, 02:00:30 am »

It's there, but very likely nowhere near where it was, because of scatter. It's probably all on the same travel tiles as the original fort, but sprawled around with reckless abandon to basically all of the surrounding areas. You can achieve the same effect by dropping something in some place in the wilderness other than a lair (which makes them 'temporary player homes') and then coming back to the same place and trying to find it later.

Once I create my adventurer (currently Selti Deertrade the Dwarf... soon to be the Deceased) do my attributes, not skills, ever increase or am I forever stuck with what I begin with?

Yes, it's just that in this version attributes increase very slowly.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 25, 2010, 02:02:23 am »

Guess I should start putting more points into Toughness and Endurance since it isn't likely to raise punching monkeys like I'm currently doing.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

sirquote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 25, 2010, 02:11:57 am »

This question is directed more to the advanced adventurer.

After dealing to my ?? amount of megabeasts and have accumulated like a bazillion gold, what the hell can I spend it on besides collecting weapons and armor?

Am i destined gather wealth for no particular reason what so ever?

I know it sounds like i'm asking for more from the game, but i'm really just asking just in case I have missed something that i can sink my coins into. for else i'm just gonna use them as ammo.

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 25, 2010, 02:26:12 am »

What affects likelihood of an ambush? I can't either fame, party size, or both are factors. Do location, observer skill, or intuition have any affect?

After dealing to my ?? amount of megabeasts and have accumulated like a bazillion gold, what the hell can I spend it on besides collecting weapons and armor?

I know it sounds like i'm asking for more from the game, but i'm really just asking just in case I have missed something that i can sink my coins into. for else i'm just gonna use them as ammo.

Getting more to use the money for (and making it so there's more ways to get some, but less to make ridiculous amounts) is part of the caravan arc.

The best thing I can think of to do is to leave some of the money or what you bought in a lair so your less fortunate future adventurers have something they can fall back on.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 02:35:54 am by Knigel »

K17U

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 25, 2010, 09:32:46 am »

Is there any way to stack two ore more identical items in your inventory?
Arrows come as stacks of [25], but when I shoot them around, and recollect them later (at least when it's possible)
they end up not being stacked, making my inventory a mess instead.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 25, 2010, 09:46:59 am »

Nope. Stacking isn't in yet.
*Hugs*

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 25, 2010, 10:35:13 am »

What affects likelihood of an ambush? I can't either fame, party size, or both are factors. Do location, observer skill, or intuition have any affect?

Getting more to use the money for (and making it so there's more ways to get some, but less to make ridiculous amounts) is part of the caravan arc.

The best thing I can think of to do is to leave some of the money or what you bought in a lair so your less fortunate future adventurers have something they can fall back on.
1) The ambush is mostly affected by the location. If you travel some civilization's lands and they have banditry settings, it makes you prone to ambushes. The banditry value determines the likelihood, and your party size determines the amount of enemies (although they are always numerous).

2) Coins is a bad trading item. They only have a value in their own civilization shops, otherwise they cost not too much. Giant cave spider silk items are the best as money: they are insanely expensive and light.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 327