Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 327

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 608338 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2490 on: November 23, 2014, 07:48:42 pm »

I checked on LegendsViewer the world of the save i reported to see what had transformed that fortress into ruin (as a goblin invasion+trolls may make some kind of sense for every bedroom having exclusively large items, though i doubt it's something else than a bug)
But unfortunately this fortress was never invaded, it fell to a single Forgotten Beast (that is always lurking inside that ruin)

Hilariously, the fortress fell the same year as it was founded.
And the fortress population from its founding up to when it fell was ... 4 dwarves.
4 dwarves that build this huge piece of fortress, made those big rooms filled with tons of anvil, build the hundred of bedroom and filled them with lots of cloth items way too big for them, etc...

Until Forgotten Beast showed up, killed those 4 poor dwarves and since then has been idle and doing nothing for several years.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: November 24, 2014, 09:48:14 am »

best way to counter a spearman/pikeman?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 09:50:20 am by xaritscin »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: November 24, 2014, 11:42:10 am »

Have you tried the multi-attack tactic ?
It's so overpowered against the AI that i think it's most likely an exploit more than anything.

- press the , key to wait for the enemy to be in contact
- press SHIFT+A to aim an attack
- press a to Strike
- select the bodypart you want to hit
- press z to enable "multiattack"
- select the type of attack you want to use (slash/stab/etc..)
- press SHIFT+A to aim a 2nd attack (thanks to multiattack)
- select the Dodge option instead of an actual attack
- Dodge in the direction you want
- Press . to launch the multiattack (the attack then the dodging)

With this technique i managed to survive a 3 bogeymen attack with a beginning demigod adventurer (that usually get killed fast by bogeymen) and striking them down, it takes a lot of patience as , wait only for a tick and you are going to miss most of your attacks, but in the end damage on yourself will be minimal (assuming of course you have good armor pieces, make sure to get some from castles before going out) and the enemy should be dead
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 11:45:26 am by Robsoie »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: November 24, 2014, 01:47:45 pm »

It's so overpowered against the AI that i think it's most likely an exploit more than anything.

- press a to Strike

With this technique i managed to survive a 3 bogeymen attack with a beginning demigod adventurer (that usually get killed fast by bogeymen) and striking them down, it takes a lot of patience as , wait only for a tick and you are going to miss most of your attacks, but in the end damage on yourself will be minimal (assuming of course you have good armor pieces, make sure to get some from castles before going out) and the enemy should be dead

While useful, its not perfect.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

a smiling bearded cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOTHOUGHT][NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: November 24, 2014, 09:09:22 pm »

- press a to Strike

While useful, its not perfect.

I agree with both, but Robsoie from a slightly different perspective. Multiattack can be exploitive because the AI's combat IMHO is just stat versus stat with bonus/penalty modifiers run directly against you rather than run based on what you are doing (which is what players do). Maybe that will change with stances, if the idea behind them is applied to NPC AI as well.

best way to counter a spearman/pikeman?

Don't take the first swing, because your opponent gets to counter attack. That counter attack will be much more successful against you the closer your stats are to theirs. It's generally a deadly outcome for your character.

For example if you're a demigod versus the average spearman/pikeman and you do have points in observer/dodge/shield/armor higher than competent level (particularly dodge/shield), you *could* be reckless and take first swings.

But it's safer to let them swing first and attack them during their recovery period which occurs right after they've attacked. You check the attack menu with SHIFT + A, but if nothing is green, press the comma "," key and then SHIFT + A. Repeat that until you have a good shot or they are attacking again. Then you defend again, or counterattack with multiattack, etc, and repeat the whole process.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 09:38:50 pm by a smiling bearded cretin »

Brunste

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: November 25, 2014, 10:19:35 am »

Is there a way to manually multigrasp a weapon or are only large weapons multigrasped?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: November 25, 2014, 10:46:22 am »

its automatic only if you meet the criteria. otherwise you just 1h it and can wrestle
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: November 25, 2014, 04:10:23 pm »

What's the best setup for FAST combat speed (which I understand is different to movement speed).  I'm fed up of night beasts getting 20 hits on me while I deliver one. :P
()==[:::::::::::::>

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: November 25, 2014, 04:15:35 pm »

What's the best setup for FAST combat speed (which I understand is different to movement speed).  I'm fed up of night beasts getting 20 hits on me while I deliver one. :P
Faster movement speed.  Seriously, the faster you move the faster you can reassess your options or act with the least amount of 'lost time' waiting to cue up again.  Carrying less weight and being more agile (more armor skill) will make you more potent in combat.  If you want a good example take a hydra and give it a slow(er) movement speed, watch how very undeadly it becomes.

That and weapons with faster attack times.  recovery seems to dictate how often you can use a weapon (and maybe how long you take penalties to defense in that time), but faster attack times let you loose attacks faster.  By default all weapons are 3:3 for attack and recover.

---

Night creatures are usually naked and carry small weapons, if any, and thus can capitalize on agility and rely on their painless and tough bodies to keep them safe.  And they have nat_skills and can learn to boot.  Very deadly.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 04:18:01 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: November 25, 2014, 05:00:48 pm »

I'm wondering , regarding elven characters starting with wooden weaponry, is there any reason (out of suicidal roleplay) to keep using wooden weaponry ?
According to the material chart here :
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Weapon#Material

It looks like wood is the worst possible thing for every kind of weaponry, to the point even bone is much better.

Is fighting someone with wooden weapon break "non lethal" combat ? if not it would be a possible good use of them, to deal with things non-lethally if you roleplay something that require it.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2500 on: November 25, 2014, 05:03:08 pm »

Yes.  Wooden weapons are in fact weapons.  Dont use them unless its for challenge or roleplay.

(or you modded in a workabout, like me :D )
PKs DF Mod!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: November 25, 2014, 08:28:14 pm »

Too bad , so i guess they're just useless.
I wonder how are elves not utterly annihilated in every worlds and can sometime win battles, as they only use such weaponry.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: November 25, 2014, 09:34:49 pm »

I wonder how are elves not utterly annihilated in every worlds and can sometime win battles, as they only use such weaponry.

Doesn't the battle thing only take skills into account and not the weapon and arnor material? Not sure how it works.

Given how they're immortal but have normal breeding rates, they can build up population, so they probably use zerg rush as a common tactic. That and elves are supposed to be supreme archers.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: November 25, 2014, 09:39:32 pm »

Against un- or badly armoured opponents, piercing attacks with elvish wood weapon are actually pretty effective. And elvish archers kick ass. YOUR ass, most of the time.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: November 26, 2014, 01:20:27 pm »

Doesn't the battle thing only take skills into account and not the weapon and arnor material? Not sure how it works.

Given how they're immortal but have normal breeding rates, they can build up population, so they probably use zerg rush as a common tactic. That and elves are supposed to be supreme archers.
Yes, the abstract battles that occur during world gen definitely don't take into account the crappiness of elves armor and weapons.

... And elvish archers kick ass. YOUR ass, most of the time.
Only if you don't have armor.  Arrows were reduced in velocity compared to 34.11, so that now any metal armor will block wooden arrows.  Metal arrows are only blocked by steel or better armor, so your adventurer should be very careful around archers using those.

I'm not sure if elvish archers that are part of other civs (and hence have metal weapons) get the elven skill bonuses.  I think not, but not sure.
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 327