Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 327

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 620829 times)

Fruitsbrain Weapon-tosser

• Bay Watcher
  • I must leave!
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #3435 on: February 21, 2016, 07:10:04 am »

I set campfires under the bodies or ignite grass. I use it as part of my cuckoo maneuver to remove a hearthperson when there is no room for me. Tackle a guard off a tower and then burn them with a campfire.
Don't you also have to clean up the blood? I can just lick/wash off the blood on my person, but how do you clean up blood on floors/walls?

Okay thank you. I have barely seen any animals. Do you have any tips for finding them?

Edit: I just killed a giant bluejay and I can't butcher it.
You usually can't find decently sized wildlife until you get a bit further away from civilizations. If you can't find anything substantial, you can almost always find a school of fish in a river. Make sure you are (S)neaking, cause most wildlife runs if they spot you. Just watch out for Alligators in the water  :P

I'm not aware of the exact size of giant birds, so the jury is still out on if anything is wrong. If you kill a milkfish/tigerfish/any fish and you still can't Butcher it, then I have no clue...

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3436 on: February 21, 2016, 07:44:37 am »

Don't you also have to clean up the blood? I can just lick/wash off the blood on my person, but how do you clean up blood on floors/walls?
adv-fort has a Clean job that takes I think 20 ticks and cleans all contaminants from your tile and all adjacent tiles. That does include walls. It doesn't clean companions who have such a desperate need to crawl up your ass that they wallow in the blood underfoot, and then crawl around leaving a blood trail. If only you could use their stupidity to frame them.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3437 on: February 21, 2016, 11:43:16 am »

It doesn't clean companions who have such a desperate need to crawl up your ass that they wallow in the blood underfoot, and then crawl around leaving a blood trail. If only you could use their stupidity to frame them.

Lead them to a river. You'll have to risk leading them into the water anyway if you're crossing it, so just sitting there long enough for them to try and follow you across solves that.

Then just wait an hour and they'll spawn on the other side, next to you. You could instead book it and try to get far enough to fast-travel, but there's more risk that they'll drown first.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3438 on: February 21, 2016, 01:36:33 pm »

It doesn't clean companions who have such a desperate need to crawl up your ass that they wallow in the blood underfoot, and then crawl around leaving a blood trail. If only you could use their stupidity to frame them.

Lead them to a river. You'll have to risk leading them into the water anyway if you're crossing it, so just sitting there long enough for them to try and follow you across solves that.

Then just wait an hour and they'll spawn on the other side, next to you. You could instead book it and try to get far enough to fast-travel, but there's more risk that they'll drown first.
Well, there's a way to get them in and out that gets kind of tedious when you have a larger group of them. Just lead them to the edge, get in, come out directly into their tile so they swap positions with you, then swap positions again to get them to a ground tile. Fortunately I get enough rain that I don't have to do this, but them I'm also not trying to dispose of evidence like Fruitsbrain, who may not have as high a rain frequency.

But I think you're overcomplicating the river crossing thing. Stop at river, cross river, walk away until you can fast travel. The only time there's a risk of drowning is when a companion decides that slaying fresh water fish is enough to sacrifice their non-swimming ass for.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3439 on: February 21, 2016, 01:39:04 pm »

Maybe. It depends on how much you dawdle as well. And if you're near a bend in the river, that affects which way you have to travel to be free to fast-travel.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3440 on: February 21, 2016, 02:32:29 pm »

In this version, it's not risky (though that is still annoying). Companions almost always wait patiently at the shore, unless there's a place near enough that they think they can cross safely. They won't just jump in unless they must slay a fish for having the temerity to get spooked by me, or a genuinely hostile alligator. Other than that, they'll still wait at the shore even in wereform, when they have SWIMS_INNATE and no need to breathe. They'll follow me through ponds, but a river still blocks them. And if they do jump in to assault the fishes, they're incapable of getting back out again, unless there's another creature on the shore they have to murder.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3441 on: February 21, 2016, 02:35:52 pm »

Huh, odd. Could've sworn they'll wade in if you give them enough time. o.O
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Fruitsbrain Weapon-tosser

• Bay Watcher
  • I must leave!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3442 on: February 21, 2016, 04:11:51 pm »

Is there any way to compose a musical composition for a specific instrument? My character started with a quosha (or something like that), but literally every musical form I know is done via a Ludar or whatever. Tried to make my own, and I only get yet more Ludar performances.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3443 on: February 21, 2016, 04:17:31 pm »

I set campfires under the bodies or ignite grass. I use it as part of my cuckoo maneuver to remove a hearthperson when there is no room for me. Tackle a guard off a tower and then burn them with a campfire.
With the cuckoo maneuver you never make an aggressive action, being covered in blood doesn't matter, but fire tends to help with that if you can stand the heat.

You just "accidentally" jump into someone hard enough to knock them off a keep while they're sleeping, and through the battlements to the ground. Then go set fires and/or campfires under them when they fall back asleep.

"Oi, what's all that fuss and flying through the air?"
'Bad dream, you were sleepwalking probably.'
"Aye, makes sense I suppose, but the ground is so damn cold!"
'Oh, here, lemme set a fire to warm you up.'
"You're a good friend, Urist."
'I know I am.'

Galap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3444 on: February 21, 2016, 04:33:58 pm »

Thanks for the infection info. So does this mean I'm guaranteed to die from that this save or can it possibly go away?

About crossing river, if there's any animal in the river that has a reaction to me, they go nuts and go after it. Usually this is of no consequence. Sometimes if the river is really wide, when I enter travel on the other side my companions don't follow me and get stuck. Usually it works though. To be honest I kind of wish we could fast travel through rivers. I get why the decision was taken to have us do it manually, but I don't think it makes the game any more interesting. It's just an annoyance.

Another question: Why is it that on my map all of the titans are said to be located in tile 1,1 (northwest corner)? I think it's some kind of a bug.

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #3445 on: February 21, 2016, 05:31:03 pm »

You've several options to deal with infections:

1. (If dwarven adventurer) Retire your adventurer, make a fort, quickly develop a medical industry, and pray your adventurer joins the fort and gets their infection treated

2. Become a night creature, either a husk zombie, a werebeast, or (I think) a vampire will do, but not just necromancy.

3. Tough it out. It takes in-game months for infection to off your adventurer, more than enough time to even thoroughly explore a large world twice over.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3446 on: February 21, 2016, 05:56:55 pm »

You've several options to deal with infections:

1. (If dwarven adventurer) Retire your adventurer, make a fort, quickly develop a medical industry, and pray your adventurer joins the fort and gets their infection treated

2. Become a night creature, either a husk zombie, a werebeast, or (I think) a vampire will do, but not just necromancy.

3. Tough it out. It takes in-game months for infection to off your adventurer, more than enough time to even thoroughly explore a large world twice over.
Right about the vampire, they're immune to infection. I don't remember: do they regenerate amputated limbs?

Washing your wound regularly will help slow the infection, even if you don't have soap. But fortress dwarves have lived to old age with infections, so I really don't believe it's guaranteed to be deadly. Unless it's an internal infection, then you'll be dead sooner rather than later. If it's something like an ear or a digit, it's just kind of gross to have puss oozing out all the time but I wouldn't worry about it killing you.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3447 on: February 21, 2016, 06:02:40 pm »

I don't remember: do they regenerate amputated limbs?

Only way to regenerate a lost limb is to transform into another creature. And in vanilla DF, werebeasts are the only source of delicious TF magic.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

SwedishLemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3448 on: February 21, 2016, 06:04:01 pm »

Why can't I butcher corpses of any kind? I'm standing over a kolbold corpse holding his sword and I can't butcher it for skill. I couldn't butcher and of my animal kills either.
Your problem is you're holding the sword. You have to drop it (or any blade. I use daggers.) on the same tile as the corpse if you want to butcher it.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3449 on: February 21, 2016, 06:07:24 pm »

Why can't I butcher corpses of any kind? I'm standing over a kolbold corpse holding his sword and I can't butcher it for skill. I couldn't butcher and of my animal kills either.
Your problem is you're holding the sword. You have to drop it (or any blade. I use daggers.) on the same tile as the corpse if you want to butcher it.

thats not true, you just need to have  a blade in your hand, and drawn.

press r to remove then choose your dagger. Or just press q. (if you have a sword)

I have never had problems butchering with just the weapon in my hand.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 06:09:08 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 327