Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 306 307 [308] 309 310 ... 327

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 608353 times)

sketchesofpayne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #4605 on: December 02, 2018, 07:23:02 pm »

Does anyone know if "nomadic" groups that have been forced out of their homes will ever settle back or somewhere else?
Digging deep in legends, it is difficult to track.  As soon as a group leaves a site and then settles another site they change their name when they found the new site government.  If they go and live at a site already under the control of their parent civ they just become part of that site's government.

Also, the legends are full of 'nomad groups' consisting of one (or none) historic figure and presumably some number of non-historic figures.  It is tricky because during world gen calculations are sometimes made using non-historic populations that aren't recorded in legends and might not exist post world gen.

I could be wrong about some of the particulars but I'm going off of what I've read on the forums, what I've heard on DFtalk, and what I'm seeing in legends mode and Legends Viewer.

N3kos

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4606 on: December 10, 2018, 02:20:25 pm »

Is there any way to view your companions attributes, and if so, can they be levelled? My travelling group is a band of wolf men, but I'm too fast for them to keep up with, so it says they stop following me. I was gonna power level their agility to see if they'll be able to keep up.

HungThir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4607 on: December 25, 2018, 10:16:36 pm »

what’s the “correct” way to finish one of those “bring to safety” missions when they do have a family?

i returned someone to their spouse the other day (they even spoke to one another), but i couldn’t find any option in either of their conversation trees that looked like it would do it? i eventually tried cancelling the agreement, which went down in history as my dorf having ended the agreement “on a whim” rather than successfully bringing them to safety :(

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4608 on: December 26, 2018, 07:25:14 pm »

Spouse might not "count" for returns. For abducted children, at least, I know the following works: while their traveling with you, ask them... I think it's either "Inquire about any troubles" or "Ask about the journey together", can't recall which - the child will tell you who to bring them to (usually a parent). When you bring them within sight of the person mentioned, the rescuee will automatically leave your party and run to the relative, everyone's happy, you're a big hero.

In actuality, other family members than the one mentioned will cause the same reaction: I was taking some dwarven children to their mother, but they saw their brother first and were properly "rescued." They also, unfortunately, seemed to initiate combat with someone, causing many of the dwarves to start beating each other up - so, be warned: abducted children may leave the dark fortress with some goblin ethics, including "kill everyone you see who isn't a goblin."

As for other rescues, such as saving people from approaching armies, I don't know.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

HungThir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4609 on: December 27, 2018, 02:50:22 am »

i mean, i returned them to their spouse because, when i asked them about our journey together, that’s who they specifically asked to be returned to

HungThir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4610 on: January 20, 2019, 10:54:16 pm »

what can cause an adventurer to wake up from sleep already Drowsy?

my previous adventurer was suffering from this, and i reasoned it was probably alcohol poisoning, cause she'd been working on a camp site for a month or so with no fresh water access and drinking alcohol 4-5 times a day instead.  i was thinking she might go back to normal after mostly drinking water for a while, but she wound up dying in some dumb way before enough time had passed to really tell

but my most recent adventurer, only about 6 hours old, started having this issue too.  she'd only been to a couple of hillocks and a fortress, no reason to suspect exposure to any syndromes. she just died to being one-shot in the neck by some random human pikeman, so i have no idea if it would have passed after her next sleep, but :shrug:

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4611 on: January 21, 2019, 08:16:39 pm »

Id imagine that the level of drowsyness gets reduced by a certain amount relative to the time you spend sleeping. Since most adventurers get up at sunrise an fall asleep sometime after nightfall, and some may have gathered aditional "drowsyness" due to travelling for extended periods of time (for example underground, where you easily forget to sleep), its probably just an effect of the sleep not beeing enough.

Note that you decide how long you sleep. if you only sleep for an hour at night, of course your going to be drowsy. the "sleep" thing is really not like in a lot of other games, where it doesn't care how long you sleept or how long its been since you last sleept before that.
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4612 on: January 21, 2019, 10:04:05 pm »

Yeah, if skip 1 night's sleep, then you will still get drowsy effect after sleeping to dawn next day. Just eat something and go to sleep for another 8h and it should fix it.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4613 on: February 26, 2019, 08:30:49 am »

Sorry about the necro, but what happens if you retire a fort, get a necromancer adventurer, kill all (or most) of the dwarves in your fort and then zombie them, and then settle in the fort? Can you reclaim the fort? Do you get the zombies under your control? Does the adventurer?

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4614 on: February 26, 2019, 09:51:10 am »

Sorry about the necro, but what happens if you retire a fort, get a necromancer adventurer, kill all (or most) of the dwarves in your fort and then zombie them, and then settle in the fort? Can you reclaim the fort? Do you get the zombies under your control? Does the adventurer?
There are glitches in the current release where zombies raised by necromancers who are also citizens can turn hostile against them and kill them. So probably not, but it's worth a test. Nobody has done that before, or at least nobody has documented it.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Grahar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4615 on: March 03, 2019, 05:46:08 pm »

How do I find the Megabeast (in this case a hydra) that destroyed a fortress?
My adventurer travelled to a fortress that was destroyed by a hydra over thousand years ago. According to the legends exports, the hydra was still there.
I searched everywhere but did not find the hydra. I made a copy of the savegame, let the adventurer starve and used legends mode again to verify the hydra was still there. It was.
I reclaimed the fortress and tried to find out where hydra was. I searched everywhere, I breached the caverns but I found no hydra. After retiring that fort the legends export still list an outcast hydra as resident of the fortress.
Any ideas? Did this happen to anyone else?
I am an or-di-na-ry dwarf
burning down the !!fort!!

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #4616 on: March 03, 2019, 06:02:58 pm »

How do I find the Megabeast (in this case a hydra) that destroyed a fortress?
My adventurer travelled to a fortress that was destroyed by a hydra over thousand years ago. According to the legends exports, the hydra was still there.
I searched everywhere but did not find the hydra. I made a copy of the savegame, let the adventurer starve and used legends mode again to verify the hydra was still there. It was.
I reclaimed the fortress and tried to find out where hydra was. I searched everywhere, I breached the caverns but I found no hydra. After retiring that fort the legends export still list an outcast hydra as resident of the fortress.
Any ideas? Did this happen to anyone else?

That sounds like a bug, maybe you didnt thoroughly explore the fort enough?  normally it works fine.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4617 on: March 04, 2019, 12:06:40 am »

Anyway to consistently get the instruments I need for my art forms?

Whenever I want to play a bard or instrument-using character, it feels like a total gamble as to wherever the instrument I spawn with actually matches the songs I actually know.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #4618 on: March 04, 2019, 02:29:40 pm »

Anyway to consistently get the instruments I need for my art forms?

Whenever I want to play a bard or instrument-using character, it feels like a total gamble as to wherever the instrument I spawn with actually matches the songs I actually know.

The only control you have over this is putting points into the general skills eg points in string instrument but no points in any other type means you will get a stringed instrument of some kind.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Grahar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4619 on: March 05, 2019, 05:08:12 pm »

That sounds like a bug, maybe you didnt thoroughly explore the fort enough?  normally it works fine.

Turned out the fortress had a slightly different layout each time I visited it. Sometimes, stairs where replaced with bedrooms and the forges where inaccessible in adventure mode. When I left the fortress and entered it again, additional rooms (the forges) where accessible and I was able to find the hydra.
I am an or-di-na-ry dwarf
burning down the !!fort!!
Pages: 1 ... 306 307 [308] 309 310 ... 327