Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 309 310 [311] 312 313 ... 327

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 608287 times)

hbmonk

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #4650 on: May 05, 2019, 05:46:44 pm »

What can I do if worldgen spawns a building's only door inside a hill?
if you have dfhack, you could enter the command "reveal" and then "flashstep" to teleport out of the building

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4651 on: May 13, 2019, 02:06:51 pm »

Got a quest to kill an Ettin. Thing is, it's in a cave. I found where it intersects a cavern layer. And from previous experience 99% of the time if you go into a cavern and you manage to get lucky enough to find your kill target and survive, you'll never find your way back out. It halts my adventure games when I get these quests from the commander, because I've spent hours accomplishing nothing in caves on multiple occasions and I'm not keen on repeating it.

Is there a way to abandon quests for these kinds of enemies?

Anyone tried generation worlds without cavern layers for adventure mode? I suppose if that is possible it may prevent this?

What can I do if worldgen spawns a building's only door inside a hill?
if you have dfhack, you could enter the command "reveal" and then "flashstep" to teleport out of the building

You could also use dfhack to spawn yourself a pick with gui/create-item, wield it, and use advfort dfhack command and cycle to dig and clear the path.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 02:11:51 pm by BoogieMan »
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #4652 on: May 16, 2019, 01:18:10 pm »

Got a quest to kill an Ettin. Thing is, it's in a cave. I found where it intersects a cavern layer. And from previous experience 99% of the time if you go into a cavern and you manage to get lucky enough to find your kill target and survive, you'll never find your way back out. It halts my adventure games when I get these quests from the commander, because I've spent hours accomplishing nothing in caves on multiple occasions and I'm not keen on repeating it.

Is there a way to abandon quests for these kinds of enemies?
You can become a hearthperson of a different lord, then ask him for a mission.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4653 on: May 16, 2019, 02:24:13 pm »

Would placing objects where you've been help?

HYSTYS

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear no mask.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4654 on: May 18, 2019, 06:53:00 pm »

you'll never find your way back out.
Would placing objects where you've been help?

The world is filled with coins, and I'd assume you have at least a hundred on you. They are also very easy to spot, at least in ASCII. If you don't want to abandon a quest drop a coin each time you take a step, pick them up if you're forced to backtrack. It will be tedious, but escape is pretty much guaranteed that way.
If you see something, say nothing, and drink to forget

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4655 on: May 21, 2019, 06:26:58 am »

Got a quest to kill an Ettin. Thing is, it's in a cave. I found where it intersects a cavern layer. And from previous experience 99% of the time if you go into a cavern and you manage to get lucky enough to find your kill target and survive, you'll never find your way back out.

Cave/cavern crawling is more of a gamble if your character isn't a dwarf/kobold. Due to 10K low light vision, these two can see the full 25 tiles underground. Every other species has limited view range in darkness/underground (goblins can see 6 tiles, humans/elves 3) making it much harder to maintain your bearings.

Using Hansel/Gretel breadcrumbing can be hit or miss, because the game will offload sections of map in local/slow travel mode just as it does in fast travel. When you return to an area, the game will rebuild this map area and may or may not rebuild with the items you dropped for a trail.

I haven't used memory as a dumpstat in a long while, so I'm not sure how much this might affect map retention if it's lower than average.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4656 on: May 22, 2019, 05:20:01 am »

is it possible to mine in adv mode?
if yes, how?
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4657 on: May 22, 2019, 07:27:43 am »

Got a quest to kill an Ettin. Thing is, it's in a cave. I found where it intersects a cavern layer. And from previous experience 99% of the time if you go into a cavern and you manage to get lucky enough to find your kill target and survive, you'll never find your way back out.

Cave/cavern crawling is more of a gamble if your character isn't a dwarf/kobold. Due to 10K low light vision, these two can see the full 25 tiles underground. Every other species has limited view range in darkness/underground (goblins can see 6 tiles, humans/elves 3) making it much harder to maintain your bearings.

Using Hansel/Gretel breadcrumbing can be hit or miss, because the game will offload sections of map in local/slow travel mode just as it does in fast travel. When you return to an area, the game will rebuild this map area and may or may not rebuild with the items you dropped for a trail.

I haven't used memory as a dumpstat in a long while, so I'm not sure how much this might affect map retention if it's lower than average.

What's a dump stat?

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #4658 on: May 22, 2019, 08:40:18 am »

In RPGs "dump stat" is the name given to stats or attributes you avoid spending points on to improve in order to save points for more important stats. In dwarf fortress it usually means diminishing to below average values during character creation.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4659 on: May 22, 2019, 03:21:09 pm »

Thank you

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4660 on: May 22, 2019, 06:00:23 pm »

is it possible to mine in adv mode?
if yes, how?
Only with DFHack's "advfort" script.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4661 on: May 26, 2019, 08:51:20 am »

how far down from the surface are AI forts usually?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 08:54:32 am by Naturegirl1999 »

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #4662 on: May 26, 2019, 01:29:19 pm »

They usually go down to the first cave level.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4663 on: May 26, 2019, 02:40:09 pm »

I usually get stuck in caves When I start in fortresses. Its a good thing I stocked up on food. How many z levels are caves found at?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4664 on: May 26, 2019, 02:53:01 pm »

In normal world gen settings they're at least 5 levels below the surface. Since dwarf mountain halls are always in mountain ranges, it could be significantly deeper, by dozens of levels. try to find a proper fortress.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 309 310 [311] 312 313 ... 327