Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 311 312 [313] 314 315 ... 327

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 608516 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #4680 on: June 10, 2019, 11:14:42 am »

It's been a long while since I last played adventurer mode and a lot has changed! Conversations are a lot trickier now. What's the trick to asking for permission to sleep somewhere? I made a quick fort to make some good food/drinks, then started an adventurer there, but it won't let me sleep there, and when I talk to people, I can't find an option to ask for permission to sleep there.

Also, for some reason, though the fort was peaceful and industrious when I left, now everyone is fighting and killing each other and there are corpses everywhere. What on earth is going on?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4681 on: June 10, 2019, 03:56:42 pm »

It's been a long while since I last played adventurer mode and a lot has changed! Conversations are a lot trickier now. What's the trick to asking for permission to sleep somewhere? I made a quick fort to make some good food/drinks, then started an adventurer there, but it won't let me sleep there, and when I talk to people, I can't find an option to ask for permission to sleep there.

Also, for some reason, though the fort was peaceful and industrious when I left, now everyone is fighting and killing each other and there are corpses everywhere. What on earth is going on?

You have fro scroll down in conversations to find it

When you start a new game, two weeks go by. Something might have happened in those two weeks.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #4682 on: June 11, 2019, 03:11:22 am »

I've tried scrolling down. This is the entire list of options in this conversation (I double-checked, there's nothing below "Say goodbye"). Am I just blind? Is it hidden in a sub-menu? Or can I not get permission from this dwarf to stay the night here?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4683 on: June 11, 2019, 07:47:24 am »

Try the ask favor submenu, its probably in a submenu

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #4684 on: June 11, 2019, 08:04:47 am »

Tried that, it's not there. :(

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4685 on: June 11, 2019, 08:06:27 am »

try other submenus. I know I found it somewhere, maybe you already have permission

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #4686 on: June 11, 2019, 08:10:21 am »

When I try to sleep it says "you cannot rest until you leave this site". Maybe I already have permission and the issue is something else? Maybe all the conflict and fighting and killing has caused the game to consider this site hostile or an unsafe place? Anyone have any experience with that? I haven't fought anything or anyone yet but the dwarfs are all murdering each other left and right for no apparent reason... :(

EDIT: Alright, I just went and built myself a little shack just outside the fortress boundary to keep safe from the bogeymen at night. No idea what's up with not being able to sleep there, but anyway... Now I have a new issue. That fortress was meant to supply my adventurer with quality meals, but my adventurer won't eat any of them! They just lick them. Is it because they're a goblin, can they not eat dwarf food? I'm having penalties from not eating a good meal... :(

EDIT2: Well, crap. It seems I can only eat meat, and none of the meat-only meals at the fortress are high enough quality to satisfy me. Dang. Really regretting this choice of character now!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 09:21:50 am by Sappho »

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4687 on: June 11, 2019, 09:55:48 am »

Asking to stay for a night would be in the main convo menu, not a submenu.
The game won't let you rest in some sites (lairs, caves, dark pits or dark fortresses, maybe bandit camps? others?); possibly it has something to do with the owners being hostile to you, or maybe it's just something hard-coded, I'm not sure.
When you ended your fort, did you retire or abandon? That might have something to do with it (although retiring is loaded with bugs, so I hear).
Goblins are carnivorous, so they won't eat anything that isn't meat. And "eat good meal" doesn't refer to the quality of food, but to types of food the character likes (i.e. "When possible, Urist prefers to consume giant tick heart and radish wine"). I can't remember: do adventurers have preferred foods? If not, you won't ever be able to fulfill that need (which is why I usually tailor my adventurers to avoid it).
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #4688 on: June 11, 2019, 10:14:00 am »

Hm... I can't find anything about a preferred food. Shucks, wish I'd known that. I did try to remove family/friend needs, but the detailed character creation system is pretty confusing and I'm not sure exactly what to adjust to make sure I don't have unfulfillable needs. I wonder, has anyone posted a guide somewhere to which personality adjustments to make, to make sure you don't have any impossible ones?

By the way, none of the dwarfs at the fort were hostile to me. All of them would talk to me and were friendly. They were only hostile to each other. Although at this point, it seems all but 2 of the dwarfs are now dead, and those two seem fine, so... I guess they're okay now? Still can't sleep there though.

EDIT: Oh, and yes, I retired the fort, didn't abandon it. But I have definitely found retiring (and especially unretiring) to be incredibly buggy. Only did it this time because the fort was specifically meant as a food resource for an adventurer. Then I didn't do my homework about what goblins eat.  :P
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 10:42:12 am by Sappho »

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4689 on: June 11, 2019, 01:56:15 pm »

The wiki has a list of needs, the facets that cause them, and the actions that satisfy them. Family, friends, and romance are unimplemented; eating a good meal is, as said above, probably impossible to fulfill; help somebody is fairly difficult to perform regularly, and I don't know how to "take it easy." Everything else is doable, most of it easily.
Also worth noting: Elves/anyone who worships a Force (not a deity) cannot pray, even if they have the need to.

Re: dwarves fighting in the fortress: in world-gen mountainhomes all the dwarven nobility will usually walk around carrying artifacts. For some reason they get into big disputes where one noble will demand that another "drop such-and-such artifact!"; the demand will be refused, and then a fight starts, leading into what seems like a loyalty cascade that wipes out most of the fort. I don't know if that's happened to you or not, but the effect seems similar to what you describe.

BeardedShrimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4690 on: June 14, 2019, 11:11:37 am »

Is there a way to get your companions to stop attacking a character? I recently got into a fight with goblin in a human town. The goblin soon yielded. I asked the goblin to "cease hostilities," and they accepted. After the ensuing convo, I started walking away, and my two companions proceeded to start attacking the goblin.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4691 on: June 17, 2019, 07:57:01 pm »

Is there a way to get your companions to stop attacking a character? I recently got into a fight with goblin in a human town. The goblin soon yielded. I asked the goblin to "cease hostilities," and they accepted. After the ensuing convo, I started walking away, and my two companions proceeded to start attacking the goblin.

Stop making air quotes at your companions every time you say "cease hostilities".
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4692 on: June 18, 2019, 09:04:20 am »

Yielding is not super well-implemented right now. Oftentimes a yielding enemy only yields while you (the player) are standing close to them; once you move away they "attack" you again, going into No Quarter combat. That's why your companions attacked.
I believe what's happening is that the enemy is trying to flee from you, but fleeing is implemented as a kind of "attack" - i.e. a creature has to be in a combat state to flee. This results in the above weirdness and other annoying things, such as animals "attacking" you (by running away) as you walk through the woods, clogging up your rumors/quest log with useless items: "Not half an hour ago a stork attacked me."
Or it may have something to do with entity ethics: goblins have KILL_NEUTRAL:REQUIRED, meaning they'll attack anything that isn't a goblin, presumably even after they've yielded.

Pompan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4693 on: July 02, 2019, 05:47:01 am »

How to deal with web-spitters?
As in, when caught in a web is there something specific I can do to, like, cut myself loose?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4694 on: July 02, 2019, 06:40:06 am »

How to deal with web-spitters?
As in, when caught in a web is there something specific I can do to, like, cut myself loose?
Keep trying to move, eventually you get yourself out
Pages: 1 ... 311 312 [313] 314 315 ... 327