Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 318 319 [320] 321 322 ... 327

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 614877 times)

Earthbound Modder

• Bay Watcher
  • Sewer Brew Graphical Overhaul Mod, v.50.01 and up
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #4785 on: February 06, 2020, 06:21:20 pm »

Just from tooling around with the new version, there are a few things I'm confused about.
Is there a way to make traveling companions you don't control mount a horse you've given them?
Is there a handy way to get pets to travel through doors?
It seems that "foul goings on at [inset site here]" used to relate specifically to necromancy, but I've gotten that rumor given to me relating to fortresses, and the sites are usually filled with armed men. Does this mean there's a necromancer in hiding, or has that rumor been broadened to other nefarious activities?
How does the filter string work when talking about a rumor? I can never seem to get it to work to get to my deeds, sifting through "a kea attacked me", is there a tried and true method to sift through the irrelevant events?

Is there a way to make traveling companions you don't control mount a horse you've given them?

If you're on a mount, I believe that (if they have been gifted the creature as a pet) they should get on their mount and follow suite after you are moving for a couple turns.

How does the filter string work when talking about a rumor? I can never seem to get it to work to get to my deeds, sifting through "a kea attacked me", is there a tried and true method to sift through the irrelevant events?

It's a bizarre system: if you want to get to an event about you killing "Modub" the giant, you shouldn't search Modub in the filter instead of giant. That's one of the reason's its so important to collect trophies in adventure: you can remember the names of things as you kill them. Other than that, I usually try to remember page number of events in the rumor dialogue so I can return to the page of the rumor dialogue later or at least use it as reference.

Huntthetroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4786 on: February 07, 2020, 12:05:13 am »

Flahsing blue ! usually just means they are crying/scared/upset.If you go into a village and start massacring them some of teh villagers will do it.

That's dark blue. Light blue means they're talking, I think.

It means they are talking when not on screen. When on screen it labels them with numbers so you can see whos saying what.  Maybe once past 9 it uses the exclamation again? But i am not sure of that.

I looked it up. The flashing light blue exclamation mark on a visible creature means that it's stark raving mad. It's been a while since I've played fortress mode, so I didn't remember. In my game, the dwarf marked this way went mad after failing to create an artifact during worldgen.

Ronnoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4787 on: February 08, 2020, 01:42:59 am »

While exploring a town I found that the keep has a 1 level deep pit in front of the doors. Somehow my companions have been finding their way into it, but I can't figure it out. I've tried jumping and climbing. Any ideas? Do keeps have additional entrances?

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4788 on: February 08, 2020, 01:50:10 am »

You should be able to move diagonally with the 1 key from NE of the door.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #4789 on: February 08, 2020, 11:06:14 am »

You can also climb over the walls, I think.

Ronnoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4790 on: February 08, 2020, 09:49:12 pm »

I ended up climbing the walls, will have to try the diagonal trick though. Thanks for the responses.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4791 on: February 11, 2020, 10:17:28 pm »

This might not be a small question but with all the undead and magically creatures now seeming to have magic HOW do you counter it?  If a creature can freeze you with a closing of a hand how can you hope to become a Monster Killer?  Numbers?  Long-range weapons?  Kill-First-Ask-Questions-Afterwards?
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #4792 on: February 12, 2020, 03:03:21 am »

This might not be a small question but with all the undead and magically creatures now seeming to have magic HOW do you counter it?  If a creature can freeze you with a closing of a hand how can you hope to become a Monster Killer?  Numbers?  Long-range weapons?  Kill-First-Ask-Questions-Afterwards?
KFAQ should always be the default when playing Adventurer.
A bear? Schnick.
A pig? Pork.
A dragon? Exeunt, dragged off.
A necromancer? Only knows the death part of the secrets of life and death.
etc.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

CrashyMcGee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4793 on: February 16, 2020, 02:31:00 am »

How do you get your mount to carry items for you?

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4794 on: February 16, 2020, 02:46:50 am »

How do you get your mount to carry items for you?
It's 'p'. Like you're putting it into a backpack. Keep in mind that not all animals are load bearers.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4795 on: February 16, 2020, 09:18:19 pm »

During a fight against something that I know I can't take on....is setting a fire under the creature a worthy tactic?   :( 
Can I set a fire in a fight?  Will I be given time to do so?  Will I be hit before I can finish it?
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4796 on: February 16, 2020, 09:40:40 pm »

During a fight against something that I know I can't take on....is setting a fire under the creature a worthy tactic?   :( 
Can I set a fire in a fight?  Will I be given time to do so?  Will I be hit before I can finish it?
You can ignite moss, grass, or other plants - but you can't make a campfire, the game will say you don't feel safe enough. The igniting happens quite fast. That was a tactic I tried against an invisible giant cave spider. It would then move off the fire. That might give you a chance to get away.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 09:44:42 pm by Ziusudra »
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

ChaosPotato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4797 on: February 16, 2020, 09:49:28 pm »

What is a dean? A vampire showed up as one in my game for some reason. I also can't ask where the aforementioned vampire is.
hi I hate this account and everything I've ever done with it but I don't feel like going through the process of making a new one right now

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4798 on: February 17, 2020, 12:59:01 am »

Fire ignition is wonderful when you're outclassed.

The idea is this:

- i"g"niting grass is a nigh-instantaneous* action
- and creatures will not move onto an actively burning tile.
- Thus, you can restrict an enemy's movement by the strategic use of fire!

This is priceless for escaping enemies that are (for whatever reason) faster than you are; you can throw up incandescent walls behind you as you run to slow up pursuers. Or, if you'd rather not make a run for it, by completely surrounding yourself with flame you can build burn a little emergency pillbox around yourself from which to throw arrows! Just don't stay in it too long, lest you begin to burn alive-- open fire does kill, eventually.

Actually immolating an enemy would require that you somehow trap said enemy on top of a fire for a prolonged period of time-- theoretically possible, but rather difficult in practice. Could perhaps be done with the cunning use of even more fire. :D

*Emphasis on nigh. Lighting fires does still take a tick or two, so make sure you've a tile or so of space to work with. Dodging is good for this.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4799 on: February 17, 2020, 01:00:44 am »

What is a dean? A vampire showed up as one in my game for some reason. I also can't ask where the aforementioned vampire is.

Probably one of the new cosmetic noble positions, like "high councillor" and "chief justiciar". Doesn't actually do anything.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 318 319 [320] 321 322 ... 327