Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 319 320 [321] 322 323 ... 327

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 608244 times)

HungThir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #4800 on: February 23, 2020, 05:19:37 am »

the wiki still says,

Regardless of weapon skills, a large copper dagger will always be included in the starting equipment,

but none of my adventurers (all dwarves) since starting 0.47.03 have started with one... i don't remember seeing them available in the starting equipment menu either.  i guess the new menu uses the race raws, and dwarves don't make daggers, so don't get them at startup?  what about kobolds/goblins/etc?

faldotmo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4801 on: February 23, 2020, 09:20:40 pm »

During Rags' travels, they stole rightfully acquired an artifact-level longsword and later became the hearthperson of a small human village halfway across the map. After completing their first assignment (killing said beast with the artifact) the sword has disappeared from their inventory. Forcing Legends mode reveals the sword was stolen from the village by Rags, then stored in the village, stolen by Rags three times in a row, used to kill the quest-assigned beast, and finally stored once more all in the same day. I cannot find the sword anywhere in the village houses and tavern. Is there any way to retrieve it? Thanks for any and all help!

Earthbound Modder

• Bay Watcher
  • Sewer Brew Graphical Overhaul Mod, v.50.01 and up
    • View Profile
« Reply #4802 on: February 23, 2020, 09:53:25 pm »

the wiki still says,

Regardless of weapon skills, a large copper dagger will always be included in the starting equipment,

but none of my adventurers (all dwarves) since starting 0.47.03 have started with one... i don't remember seeing them available in the starting equipment menu either.  i guess the new menu uses the race raws, and dwarves don't make daggers, so don't get them at startup?  what about kobolds/goblins/etc?

I might change that in the wiki today. You're correct about the raws: the weapons you can choose on embark are controlled by what weapons the civ can produce in their entity raws. This is why humans may start with whips while dwarves cannot.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4803 on: February 24, 2020, 10:09:34 pm »

Hi
I haven't played adventure mode in a while, I noticed there is now this entry in the Keybindings part of the Manual:
Tab - Change to another party member.

Could someone explain me the requirements to use it?
I have several companions who joined me on my adventures, but the Tab key does nothing.
I assume that either we are not considered a "party" or they are not considered "party members", just companions...
Do I need to found site / have named group to use it? Do they need to be my hearthpersons? If not, what are the actual requirements?

The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Pasechnik

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4804 on: February 26, 2020, 09:19:15 pm »

Tab - Change to another party member.
This command works if you have a character created along with your main character. (in the last menu,N key)
I think that there is some way to make ordinary companions as a "party member", if you find out reply here please.

Morning_Oak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4805 on: February 28, 2020, 11:45:30 pm »

For those who enjoy getting to really know their world, when starting a new adventurer or venturing to a new town,  how much time do you tend to spend in a town getting to know the citizens and figure out if there is any interesting backstory to be found there? I feel like I always rush off when starting and I'm wondering if there's something I'm overlooking when interacting with the people living there. Any tips for getting more lore or just general excitement by talking to the townsfolk?

HungThir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4806 on: February 29, 2020, 06:01:45 pm »

does anyone know if higher Armor User skill increases armour's effectiveness or longevity? or does it only decrease the weight-based encumbrance/slowing factors?

my adventurers usually try to wear a full suit of metal armour, and train Armor User until they can move normally again (adequate/competent seems to do the trick), and this works pretty well

this time round, i'm playing a character that only wears leather.  and so naturally, i'm starting to wonder whether there's a level of Armor User skill at which a character in leather-only can actually take a hit.  in my head, i feel like a sufficiently skilled armour user ought to be able to deflect blows reasonably effectively (i.e. without just copping it through the armour, or the armour being completely destroyed after a couple of hits), but i'm not sure if this is modelled in game?  has anyone done any science?  does anyone have experience playing leather-only adventurers?

(obviously the platonic ideal is to not get hit, but if you could do that reliably, you wouldn't need any armour at all...)

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4807 on: February 29, 2020, 07:11:06 pm »

According to Toady armour skill influences the rate of deflection, but I'm not sure how much that will help with leather armour.

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4808 on: March 01, 2020, 01:54:18 pm »

For those who enjoy getting to really know their world, when starting a new adventurer or venturing to a new town,  how much time do you tend to spend in a town getting to know the citizens and figure out if there is any interesting backstory to be found there? I feel like I always rush off when starting and I'm wondering if there's something I'm overlooking when interacting with the people living there. Any tips for getting more lore or just general excitement by talking to the townsfolk?

The most interesting people will be in taverns, keeps, and temples (and now in counting houses, guildhalls, and towers/manors). Or, I should say, these are the places where it is easiest to find interesting people, as most of the folks there will be historical figures rather than individuals pulled from abstract population. They will actually have families and professions to talk about.

For lore, try talking to people about the structure you are in (assuming you're in one - tavern, temple, keep, etc.); they'll give you a random historical entry about the structure, usually when someone started ruling or working there. If you ask for directions to a town (including the one you're in), they'll also throw in a random fact about it. Of course, they have no way of knowing what facts are actually interesting, and what are meaningless (like, "in 324 Urist McFisherdwarf settled here"), so be prepared to ask over-and-over again if you want something juicy. Oh, you can also look at engravings on temple walls, which should have site-related historical entries.

But, in general, DF isn't forthcoming with its lore. Usually if I really want to get into the world, I'll read about its history in Legends Viewer. That can get you interested in certain places and people - like, if you want to track down a certain interesting person and talk to them, or visit the site of some important historical events.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #4809 on: March 05, 2020, 08:41:00 pm »

What is the button for petting animals?
Asking the real questions here.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4810 on: March 05, 2020, 08:58:26 pm »

What is the button for petting animals?
Asking the real questions here.
I think it's a power like spitting and reanimating.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 09:00:03 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4811 on: March 05, 2020, 09:08:35 pm »

Yep, I found the pet animals button in that menu

madpathmoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4812 on: March 10, 2020, 07:59:07 am »

What's the best way to try and separate yourself from undead minions as a necromancer?  I have DF Hack but I'm not sure the party commands (Shift+O) it adds work; the moment I fast travel I have a posse again.  If I do something like...  Tell them to build something at my camp and then just avoid the camp will that work?  Does that work with undead animals, I don't really expect it to, but then I'm surprised zombies are even useful enough to build things.

Not being able to do anything with undead besides have them follow me and kill everything they see is the biggest thing making being a necromancer boring.  I know that "in-world" the undead can clearly take SOME orders or they would actually be useless and impossible for an NPC necromancer to direct them to invade forts.  So if there's like, a DF Hack script or .lua any of you can recommend, or other mod that doesn't alter much else I'd love to know.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 08:04:24 am by madpathmoth »

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4813 on: March 10, 2020, 05:12:31 pm »

The same thing happens with pets you give away - as soon as you fast travel or get far enough away the pet will rejoin the party. But it's still their pet so you can't give it away again. I think there's a bug with the code that keeps parties together and some data somewhere that doesn't get updated. I keep meaning to look into it more and report it.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

madpathmoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4814 on: March 10, 2020, 06:58:26 pm »

The same thing happens with pets you give away - as soon as you fast travel or get far enough away the pet will rejoin the party. But it's still their pet so you can't give it away again. I think there's a bug with the code that keeps parties together and some data somewhere that doesn't get updated. I keep meaning to look into it more and report it.

So no easy ways around it at the time being?  That is a real shame.
Pages: 1 ... 319 320 [321] 322 323 ... 327