Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: †++†SAECULAR†++† [Tales of Worlds Unseen v0.1.1c]  (Read 20653 times)

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
†++†SAECULAR†++† [Tales of Worlds Unseen v0.1.1c]
« on: November 28, 2010, 01:57:42 am »

V0.1.1c

DESCRIPTION

A total conversion mod for v0.31.18 of Dwarf Fortress. In its version 0.1.1c release, it currently offers:

+ 6 Adv. Mode-Playable Races With Unique Languages, Castes, Subraces, And Abilities For A Total Of 12 Distinct Subraces For Playable Characters
+ New Fortress Mode Race With Original Gameplay Mechanics:
  • Material Research System
  • Biometal Crafting
  • 2 Custom Workshops For Research and Crafting
  • More Available Items and Domesticated Animals On Embarks
+ 10+ New Materials
+ Many New Weapons and Armor
+ Over 40+ Lines Of New Flavor Speech
+ Numerous New Semimegabeasts and Megabeasts Ranging From The Wild Feralbosams to the Majestically Terrifying Drakoses
+ Adventure Mode Spellcraft
+ Shifting Biometal Weapons
+ Several Prepackaged Worlds For 'Designing With Advanced Parameters'
+ Music Especially Arranged For Saecular

RACES

ASANBOSAM

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ELIRRU

FORERUNNERS

HUMANS

GOLM

KAJIWI

INSTALLATION

1) Go to the download page here: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3495
2) Click ‘Download Now’
3) Save to your desired directory path (eg. C:\programfiles\Saecular - Tales of Worlds Unseen\)
4) Unzip the ‘Saecular - Tales of Worlds Unseen’ Archive to a desired location with a program of choice, such as 7zip or WinRAR.
IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A PROGRAM THAT CAN DECOMPRESS 7Z FILES, 7ZIP IS A FREEWARE PROGRAM THAT DOES SO. YOU CAN DOWNLOAD IT HERE: http://www.7-zip.org/download.html OR HERE: http://download.cnet.com/7-Zip/3000-2250_4-10045185.html
5) Go into the ‘Saecular - Tales of Worlds Unseen’ (the default name for the decompressed archive) folder and double-click ‘Saecular.exe’ to play

NOTES

+ Goals for the future include:
  • Detailed Fortress Mode Research and Shaping System
  • New Trainable regular, exotic, and ‘Megabeast’-esque Pets
  • A Few New Beasties
  • New Mundane and Exotic non-Megabeast Creatures
  • New Mundane and Unique Plants, Stones, and Metals
  • A few New Clothes, Armor, and Weapons
  • New Food, Drink, Workshops, etc. Relating and At Times Not Relating To Any New Research or Materials/Plants/Animals Implemented
+ Known issues:
  • Slowish Worldgen after 75 or so years on less-than-high-end systems on even 33x33 maps. If it becomes an inconvenience for players, I’ll do more experimenting with civ/site caps, etc. to solve the problem.
  • Forerunners can embark with non-biometal metal items, including metal bars… it’s a bit of a cheat, so for now do it if you want to cheat a little, don’t if you want to play it as its meant to be played.
  • Not really an issue, but I know someone will ask. No it is not a bug that ‘shape ___ biometal’ doesn’t show up without having unused research coils in that type of biometal. It’s just how the research system works.
+ Research and Shaping require the ‘Teaching’ skill, so be sure to include a couple of forerunners with points in 'Teaching.'

+ Since Forerunners lack the knowledge (for now; metalcraft will eventually be integrated into the research system, among other things) to produce metal bars, and thus viably craft metal goods, an anvil is completely unnecessary and will free up to 1000 to be distributed for much more useful things. It is much more efficient to stick to biometal.

+ The biocraft research system starts you only with the ability to research basic biometal, producing 'research' items. These are then used to either produce biometal of that tier or to research higher tiers of biometal. All research is preserved after any research or shaping reaction, but it IS needed to do the reaction. All reactions also require certain amounts of stone and wood, some of which is sometimes preserved, and sometimes not, depending on the said reaction. Right now, it's very lackluster with only three tiers of research and thus only three tiers of biometal to manufacture, but this WILL be expanded on in future releases.

+ Be warned that Basic Biometal rots, so treat it as you would food in that respect. It is advised to use your initial Biometal Research to get into Advanced Biometal Research, as it does not rot and has somewhat better qualities.

+ Forerunners are not dependent on alcohol, so the inclusion of alcoholic beverages (other Forerunner beverages and foods will eventually be incorporated) only alleviates the initial problems with your Forerunners having to fetch drinking water from natural sources until you get wells set up (until aqua craft is implemented, if at all, since I’m not quite sure on the workings of that yet). Admittedly, they are still fairly helpful, especially so if you embark in a location without a stream/brook/river/etc.

+ At the start of any Adventure Mode game, only Reaver Blood Prophets have magistaves to craft spellstones for ‘magic’ and only Forerunner Hivers have the proper weaponry for weapon shifting techniques. However, no matter what your race, if you come across any such equipment, you’ll be able to perform the same tasks, if not necessarily with the same level of proficiency at first.

+ In character generation note that while we're used to 'g' simply changing your creatures gender, the way character gen is hardcoded the inclusion of creature castes means that it will cycle through all of those as well, not just two genders of one caste. This way you're not stuck as, say, an earth caste female elirru when you wanted to play as a fire caste male elirru and saves the trouble of 'esc'aping back to civilization/race selection and reentering, hoping to get the right caste.

+ All ranged weapons melee skills are determined by the same skill that determines their ranged effectiveness.  Ranged weapon users are no longer totally wimpy in close quarters combat! [In theory anyway]

+ In Arena mode, certain creatures will sometimes be listed nonalphebetically because of the difference between their creature names (what Toady apparently hardcoded to use to sort them) and their caste names (what's actually displayed in the arena creature list).

+ No, this mod is not currently made to be 100% compatible with other mods, due to its nature as a Total Conversion. Though I personally don’t see why it’s needed, if I get enough requests to make it more friendly with non-Saecular mods, I’ll do my best to make it so. At the moment, however, I feel it’d be wasted energy to go through the process, as simple as said process is.

+ Yes, I realize Fortress Mode is fairly broken by most standards. Bare with me, as this was originally a primarily Adventure Mode mod and will remain so for some time. I will, however, continue development on the Fortress Mode features as well, and definitely consider any concerns or suggestions with it in future releases. Also note that I will be doing many (hopefully) releases of this between now and the release of DF31.19, and once that is released, I will definitely be converting up to it. I’m only hoping that there won’t have to be too much reworking of the raws for that when the time comes.

+ Yes, I am also aware the my custom workshops are fairly large. That is done on purpose. Unless it becomes a massive annoyance, they will stay at their current sizes.

+ For the record, I did NOT take the idea of black steel from Deon's Genesis Mod. I can neither prove or disprove this officially, but I hope people take my word on it. Besides, the raws are fairly different. To be honest, I wouldn't know if there is a real world metal known as black steel, so mine's obviously much different than that as well, should it exist. Expect a modder to do research? NONSENSE I say. :P (If anything actually NEEDS research, I really will do it. Just saying.) That said, don't expect to see 'red steel' and the like in future releases, I'm trying to be as original as I can be.

+ Version syntax is as follows: The v0=final release number. Won’t likely be ‘1’ anywhere near soon, as this will only be something other than 0 when Dwarf Fortress hits v1.0 itself… which will be far enough in the future it’s barely conceivable. The .1=‘major’ release number, in this instance, the very first. Will probably only be used when the system is MAJORLY overhauled or rewritten, such as new feature systems or updating to new versions of DF. The .0=‘minor’ release number which will indicate that a new batch of material has been released. Somewhat common, and resets anytime the ‘major’ release number is increased.  The a=patch version, when a patch is released (always released as lone, edited files, not .7z archives as with minor and major releases) it gets a new letter. This could be anything from very rare to very often depending on balancing issues and any errors I happen to miss (hopefully very rare).

+ Please provide as much feedback and reports for bugs/ issues as possible; my goal is to provide a fun, possibly innovative, and somewhat original universe to replace the slightly mundane Vanilla Dwarf Fortress experience, so a lot of what that means and where this project heads hinges on the players.

+ Remember, I don’t mind hearing some positive feedback along with all the negative. Just saying. :P

+ Lastly… have fun!

IN ADDENDUM

+CHANGELOG+
v0.1.1c - Fixed the research system, no clue how that got broken. Fixed typos in mod documentation. Probably a few other fixes I lost track of as well.
v0.1.1b - After a huge oversight on my part, finally allowed the military to actually work by adding (back in) releveant positions. Also fixed stats preventing anyone from equipping a fauld and a cuisse simultaneously; something that should definitely be possible.
v0.1.1a - added in some new mega/semimegabeasts, weapons, and armor. Changed Bleeders to semimegabeast. Once again nerfed forerunners' ichor toxin syndrome, and took away their ability to be bandits. Added tiers to Adv Biometal and Omega Biometal research. Simplified skill/class names to be a little to be more intuitive, keeping the epic-sounding names for 'master' leveled skills/classes. Several other minor rebalances/additions/changes to weapons and races. New color scheme. New world gen parameter set, reintroducing vanilla parameters as well. Added in credits_saecularmod.txt and changelog_saecularmod.txt to the folder.

v0.1.0b - Slightly nerfed forerunners' ichor toxin syndrome, made research system perform more as intended, and clarified plain 'asanbosam' as 'saecularians'
v0.1.0a - Initial release

+PATCH+
For those who downloaded the v0.1.1a release, here's the patch so you don't have to download the entire archive again. THIS ONLY UPDATES TO v0.1.1b. Follow the instructions on the same page to install. THIS WILL NOT UPDATE v0.1.1a or v0.1.1b to v0.1.1c, YOU WILL HAVE TO DOWNLOAD THE ENTIRE .7Z FILE FROM ABOVE.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3496
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 04:27:59 pm by inEQUALITY »
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
Re: †++†SAECULAR†++† [Tales of Worlds Unseen v0.1.0a]
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 12:30:47 pm »

Wow. Just wow! Going to try this soon!

This looks amazing.  :D

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 01:11:24 pm »

Thanks, let me know what you think once you've tried it out some, and if you feel the need, the thread is open for any questions/discussion involving the mod. That goes for everyone else who downloaded the mod as well. ;D

Anyway, as a general note to everyone, the research system apparently isn't working quite as I had though it did (curse late-night work ethic), as now mentioned in the NOTES section in the first post. I'm not sure if I'll be releasing a patch for it, or waiting until the next minor release (v0.1.1a) to address the issue. Speaking of which, if everything goes as planned, the next minor release should be done in a minimum of a week, possibly (read: unlikely) sooner. Don't let that stop you from downloading and trying it now, however. It's still perfectly playable, especially in Adventure Mode and with the Arena. That is, after all, the main focus of the mod anyway.

EDIT: And naturally, I JUST realized I haven't exactly explained the profession names for each race, so it'll be a little confusing I imagine. Until I get something up to handle that, like an entry in the first post or a Wiki if need be, one can always either experiment or check the creature_standard raw.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 01:18:06 pm by inEQUALITY »

Cannabust

• Bay Watcher
  • Prick with a pick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 01:31:21 pm »

Wow! This mod looks amazing and I will definitely have to try it, I just finished installing it now and I'm creating a world. This looks like just the mod for me! (especially since yesterday I was looking for more adventure mode mods)

I started an Asanbosam, and I really didn't understand the skill names, I was planning on using the scythe but didn't understand if it was in "Blader" or "Witchhunter" I chose witchhunter and I ended up with a bow?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 02:05:17 pm by Cannabust »
Current Adventurer: Fel AXESEVER, the MOUNTAINOUS VIOLENCE
http://new-eggbert.myminicity.com/ind (WE NEED FACTORIES!)
Armok needs blood, I just do it with picks.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 03:18:24 pm »

Yeah, I seriously need to get a list up regarding all that. Only reaver asanbosam use scythes, and they're their own unique civ. The class for that should be harvester. I'll be streamlining the weapons/skill names soon, promise. That's the whole purpose of feedback; to figure out what dumb things I did/didn't do that need to be fixed. :P Thanks for playing the mod though, I appreciate you giving it a try. :)

EDIT: Between this and several other minor issues, it seems like I'll be needing to release a patch ASAP, not to mention a detailed list for weapons/skills, present outside the game obviously. Plain (Saecularian) 'asanbosam' will have to start being called by their specific subrace from the next patch on out it seems, to avoid confusion that might arise.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 03:23:28 pm by inEQUALITY »

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: †++†SAECULAR†++† [Tales of Worlds Unseen v0.1.0b]
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 03:52:14 pm »

Patch is up for those who don't want to bother re-downloading and unzipping the entire game folder.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3496

+CHANGELOG+
  • Made forerunner ichor resistible and it now dilutes its effect based on affected creature's size.
  • Made it clear that 'asanbosam' in character gen is 'saecularian' asanbosam by editing creature/caste names, to avoid any confusion.
  • Research now preserves used 'research coils' during research and shaping reactions, so as to function more like a true research system.

I'll have a list of races/skills/weapons under each race spoiler later, real life unfortunately stands in the way of me doing that right now. I'm putting up a poll once I do so to determine whether or not I need to simplify the profession names more or not.

EDIT: Since I'm not getting all that much feedback on the mod, I'll just ixnay the class list and wait until the next minor release and have the classes much more simply and intuitively named, saving special class names for 'master/elite' ranked soldiers and adventurers.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 08:19:38 pm by inEQUALITY »

Cannabust

• Bay Watcher
  • Prick with a pick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 11:13:22 pm »

After playing a while I really enjoy this mod I've only played one character but I like how varied the races are, and I like playing as an evil vampire  :D

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 05:39:15 am »

I like it! :) Is it just me, or does it start off with a world already genned? Because that's the one I've been playing in.
A possible problem I noticed, was when I created a Golm character, it said they were part of a civ, but there were no settlements. I traveled for a while, but I could find NOTHING... No settlements, Golm or otherwise. :(
They make the Nords in the Genesis mod look positively well-established! :P
One other thing... My reaver started with a wakizashi or whatever, why can't they have real swords? Ah well, guess I'll just stick with the other races for swordsmen.
Overall it's good so far! :D
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 06:53:02 am »

I like it! :) Is it just me, or does it start off with a world already genned? Because that's the one I've been playing in.
A possible problem I noticed, was when I created a Golm character, it said they were part of a civ, but there were no settlements. I traveled for a while, but I could find NOTHING... No settlements, Golm or otherwise. :(
They make the Nords in the Genesis mod look positively well-established! :P
One other thing... My reaver started with a wakizashi or whatever, why can't they have real swords? Ah well, guess I'll just stick with the other races for swordsmen.
Overall it's good so far! :D

Good to hear you enjoy it :D And if you use the advanced parameters, yes, it will be *almost* the same world every time; I used PerfectWorldDF to gen specific world types for packaging with the game. If you want vanilla world gen options, go into an original copy of DF -> data -> init and grab world_gen.txt and put it in the same place for saecular, or else copy the data there into saecular's world_gen to have all the options. I'll start packaging vanilla gens with it again next release, to avoid confusion. :P If you meant there's a world with it when you downloaded... whoops, I swear I didn't mean to do that. :P Fixed next release if I did.

As for the golm, I hadn't noticed that... could have sworn they were working, but I'll run some tests, see what I can do about that. Might be that all but a few got killed off in world gen somehow? That'd make their settlements only ruins, yes? Either way, I'll try and puzzle it out. Any extra info you've got to provide on that would be immensely helpful. :)

EDIT: Oh, and about the Reavers; when you play as Tempest Bladers/Swordsmen you have a chance to get either katana, wakizashi, or nodachi as your weapon, all of which are 'technically' swords. I have a real world wakizashi in front of me and I'm fairly sure it's no smaller than a gladius... which reminds me, did I goof on the size requirements with the gladius vs the semispatha? (the former being smaller than the latter, which is in turn smaller than a spatha) Hm... if I did, that'll indeed be fixed next release. :P

After playing a while I really enjoy this mod I've only played one character but I like how varied the races are, and I like playing as an evil vampire  :D

Glad you enjoy it :D I went back and checked the code; turns out I left out a certain something special for our not-so-vampire vampires; the ability to draw blood on biting xD That'll be in next release.

With all this talk of my next release, just a little revision/spoiler for the next one coming this week or so:
  • The dreaded Drakoses! Even by itself, a Drakos is something to behold. Larger than a dragon, flies with four wings, special skills dependent on its type, these beasts of the world are very deadly.
  • The colossi walk again, and more varied than before! Iron, Brass, Silver, and Black Steel ravage the world alongside the Bronze colossi we know and hate... or is there something even more dark and sinister about these constructs this time around?
  • More weapons and armor? Hurray!
  • More obvious skill names this release. Go me. :P
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 03:49:33 pm by inEQUALITY »

Cannabust

• Bay Watcher
  • Prick with a pick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 09:09:57 pm »

I started playing an Elirru Aquier, I started to play but after killing a group of bandits I started passing out from "pain" where I would go down for a long time, wake up still in pain, and go back to passed out. When I looked at my status screen I saw NO problems at all and I was perfectly fine except for the apprant pain that was causing my character to pass out.

Yeah thats a bug :V

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 09:24:48 pm »

If the bandits were Forerunners, that's no bug; you were splattered by their ichor. I'm nerfing the syndrome a bit next release, so that shouldn't be a problem once that's out. Should be out by weekdays' end, if all goes as planned. Thanks for the report though, faithful bug-finders are must have for a fledgling mod, not to mention someone who likes the mod. :P On another note, if you or anyone else is interested in keeping track of development, I've started a devlog here:
http://df-saecular.blogspot.com/

EDIT: Though I might nerf the ichor some, I think I may just keep Forerunners from being bandits at all, considering the way they're supposed to feel towards other races, in general. This would solve the Adventure Mode problems while still keeping some of the usefulness for Fortress Mode, and dissuade anyone from trying to empty out a Forerunner city of citizens. :P
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 09:33:03 pm by inEQUALITY »

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 09:43:24 pm »

I have to say, I'm having fun with this mod.
I've only played as a Reaver with the Magistaff, but it's really awesome to throw a lifedrainer spellstone at a night creature and watch it die.
The only problem with the spellstones is that if it doesn't get stuck in them after throwing it, it doesn't do anything at all, besides the damage from the throw.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 10:04:18 pm »

I have to say, I'm having fun with this mod.
I've only played as a Reaver with the Magistaff, but it's really awesome to throw a lifedrainer spellstone at a night creature and watch it die.
The only problem with the spellstones is that if it doesn't get stuck in them after throwing it, it doesn't do anything at all, besides the damage from the throw.

Glad you're enjoying it! Reavers tend to be fun to play as. :)
And yeah, it's unfortunately unavoidable for it to work that way. Inorganic Material syndromes are sort of bugged, the way they work. I tried the workaround of optimizing the values so that when a spellstone is shot it will typically, hopefully get lodged in the wound, and in Arena testing, I think I got about the best I could for that. 'Tis the best I can do until Toady does something about it in the future, which might not, unfortunately, be any time soon.

EDIT: And just noticed you said 'throw'. 'F'iring them will result in a good number more spellstones lodged. Or, I'm 99% sure it does anyway. :P

Cannabust

• Bay Watcher
  • Prick with a pick
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2010, 10:09:48 pm »

I love hookswords as my new earth Elirru, even just the option to slice is pretty awesome and I find I spill lots of guts that way!

I can't wait until the next update for Drakoses! And soon maybe my Elirru will come upon a bleeder to kill

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 08:07:50 pm »

I love hookswords as my new earth Elirru, even just the option to slice is pretty awesome and I find I spill lots of guts that way!

I can't wait until the next update for Drakoses! And soon maybe my Elirru will come upon a bleeder to kill

Good to hear the hook swords are appreciated. FFX made me always want on IRL, so this was the next best thing for me.

As for the bleeders, let me know if you ever do/did run into some. I changed them to semimegas for this next release, so they'll be a bit more common of an enemy... I advise letting your meatshiel faithful allies charge in on such quests. Then again, at the moment, all the semis and megas I have coded are extremely dangerous in their own rights, so I'll definitely be coding in a few lesser semis to offset the others.

In other news, very minor update to the devlog: http://df-saecular.blogspot.com/2010/11/fixns-n-things.html
Pages: [1] 2 3 4