Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: (noob) Build fort in Adventure mode?.  (Read 3849 times)

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
(noob) Build fort in Adventure mode?.
« on: November 28, 2010, 02:31:05 pm »

Hi there, im just about to start playing with adventure mode for the 1st time and have a few questions.

Is it possible to get a pick and start carving out a fortress or house or etc etc alone?.  If so can u eventually manage it like in Fortress mode but from 1 dwarf?

Or is it possible to take over other forts or towns by pushing out the current leaders thru sneaky or threatening behavour?..

Ive been reading up about adventure mode but these things are unclear.

Thx for look, Foil.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
Re: (noob) Build fort in Adventure mode?.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 02:40:16 pm »

None of these things are possible as of yet. You can kill castle lords and ladies but you cannot take over.
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Jacos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 02:42:23 pm »

Perhaps one day in adventure mode, we'll be able to make a home, start farming, grab a wife from a nearby village and make childeren..
Play as the child, kill parents, then get kidnapped by a kobold and then get..
Ugh. Okay, maybe not. But it still sounds epic.
Dwarven Science: We do what we must, because, we're bored.

Every few miles, [the dwarves] stop the cart.  One of the dwarfs (sic) gets off, digs a hole down below the dirt layers, licks the bedrock, and then they know exactly where they are.  It's called GPS: Geological Piquancy Sampling.

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 02:47:49 pm »

Is it not possible to dig or chop trees at all?  I take it adventure mode is more like an ascii Morrowind sort of thing?

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 03:01:15 pm »

Is it not possible to dig or chop trees at all?  I take it adventure mode is more like an ascii Morrowind sort of thing?

Not as of yet. Let me some it up for you.

You cannot do anything that you can do in fortress mode, but you CAN do other cool stuff!
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 05:23:57 pm »

well you can build a fort in adventure mode just not buildings or workshops.
using Tweak and Tile edit everything with give you a simulated version of just that.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Mckee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 07:31:43 pm »

The idea I believe is eventually to add more stuff like this to adventure mode, but for now, its not here.
One day, one day... :)
'What good is a lesson if your idiot is too dead to learn from it?'

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 07:41:41 pm »

You cannot do anything that you can do in fortress mode, but you CAN do other cool stuff!

In adventure mode basically you are limited to fighting and exploring.  The best way to have fun is probably to ask people for quests and then follow through with the quests.  Maybe try to get into the underground and have some fun down there fighting strange critters.  Tell people about your exploits.  Other than that, not much else to do I guess...

Also, if a tree really pisses yuo off you can ignite it with the "g" (get) command, so that it will eventually burn to the ground (this could take several hours). Toady put this in the game a long time ago in order to test fires, and it has stayed there for a long time despite not really having a legitimate use.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 08:56:37 pm »

Custom reactions for adventure mode can 'simulate' foraging, cutting down trees, building things, and etc, so it is conceivably somewhat possible in a very abstract way. :P Deon's Genesis mod has gone a good ways down that path and could possibly be expanded on somehow.
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Demki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 03:14:58 am »

In adventure mode basically you are limited to fighting and exploring.  The best way to have fun is probably to ask people for quests and then follow through with the quests.  Maybe try to get into the underground and have some fun down there fighting strange critters.  Tell people about your exploits.  Other than that, not much else to do I guess...

Also, if a tree really pisses yuo off you can ignite it with the "g" (get) command, so that it will eventually burn to the ground (this could take several hours). Toady put this in the game a long time ago in order to test fires, and it has stayed there for a long time despite not really having a legitimate use.
You can use it to melt ice/snow to water, not that you need water in the current version.