Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 822 823 [824]

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 941274 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: Lictor, P.I.
« Reply #12345 on: January 12, 2024, 08:57:37 am »

Since it's the most interesting thing this thread has talked about in months and isn't another permutation on "which horoscope sign would the Primarchs have", I'm going to post some more about my thoughts for the factions and timeline of Only Peace.

Spoiler: Timeline (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Alien Factions (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Human Factions (click to show/hide)

"It is the 51st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Emperor has dreamed interred within the Golden Tomb of Earth. He was the Master of Mankind by the will of the dead gods, and master of a million worlds by the might of his inexhaustible clerks. Now he is a lifeless husk watched over by silent guardians, the last vestiges of the brutal darkness the galaxy once dwelled in. Now amidst the light and promise of the milky way, he is the martyred saint of the galaxy for whom a thousand bells toll every day, so that the memory of the fallen may never truly die.

Mighty tradefleets cross the stars, the unstable warp-routes tamed by the fusion of human necessity and alien ingenuity, ever-tended to by the technicians of the Mechanicus Orthodoxy, who still jealously guard the secrets of their forbidden arts. Their way is lit by beacons set by powerful navigator lords; psykers of potent potential and social pre-eminence amongst the witch kings of the corporate guilds. Vast armies parade and drill, ever-vigilant for threats long dead but not yet extinct, their masters constantly pressing the bureaucratic overlords of the administratum for yet more rations, yet more munitions, and yet more pay.

Ancient war machines patrol worlds which now know only peace. Their burnt hulls bear the marks of weapons that have not been fired in anger in milennia. Slumbering dreadnoughts and calm machine spirits of vast war machines whisper tales to those little ones willing to listen of the ages where they saw gods walk amongst men and the skies burned at the turning of a hand. A few still may be fortunate enough to encounter an explorator fleet, and be reminded that the god-machines of myth, still blare their war horns in praise of the omnissiah.

To be a man in such times is to be one amongst untold trillions. It is to live in the utmost bureaucratic and roguish regime imaginable. These are the tales of those times. Remember the power of ambition and trust, for so much has been recovered, and so much has been learned. Remember the cost of sacrifice and heroism, for it is their legacy that bought peace amongst the stars, an eternity of competition and discovery. For in the grey, dimly lit future there is only peace, and the laughter of mirthful children."

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.
« Reply #12346 on: February 12, 2024, 05:42:29 am »

So I've got this goofy WHF idea that's been rattling around for a few years, and I don't think I've ever shared it here.

So the idea is a halfling who has become the leader of a company of ogre Maneaters. This little fat guy, maybe three feet tall in boots with a thick sole, leading a few dozen giant cannibalistic warriors.

His name? William Willowfoot, better known as Willy the Biter.

Willy was originally enslaved by the ogres to be their cook, but eventually in a fit of exasperation at the conditions he had to work in he declared he could run things better than the maneater leader, which prompted a condescending and mocking 'challenge' for leadership, a joke the ogres found rather amusing. Much to everyone's surprise, including his own, Willowfoot won through.... unorthodox methods that earned his monicker of Biter.

Since coming to power he has faced no challenges, with some ogres saying they'd rather fight the Gutsman* himself than the Biter. His leadership has been remarkably effective, halfling cooks are no strangers to organising a rabble of unruly folk when trouble comes, or keeping people well fed on a budget, and can be shrewd negotiators. What he lacks in personal intimidation factor is compensated for by his rather hefty underlings.

Willy himself is carried on a reinforced metal disc by a gaggle of gnoblars, to better look his mostly human enemies and clients in the eyes, clad in a miniature imitation of ogre war gear, gutplate and all, with a massive feathered hat sat atop an open faced helmet, a pistol in one hand and a heavy butcher's knife in the other.

*Bragg the Gutsman is an ogre character, and the most feared of all their kind by other ogres. Bragg is basically an executioner/grim reaper figure, using a magical hooked blade to carve ogres open around the gutplate, spilling their guts to the ground. For ogres this is an especially painful and long death, as they don't die until their intestines fully unspool, and they have a lot of intestines, and while resistant to most pain this is excruciating for them. This sort of killing is just about the only taboo way to kill an ogre, so while all ogres respect and fear Bragg for his deadly skill, none are willing to follow him for long, for fear of having their own guts spilled, so Bragg spends most of his time wandering from tribe to tribe with only gnoblars to accompany him.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12347 on: March 10, 2024, 05:45:43 pm »

I've been diving back into 40k in general lately (mostly listening to podcasts and stuff about the lore to pass time at work) and  jamming out to the Mechanicus OST.

An idea occurred to me. A factory building game in vein of Factorio or DSP except you're a high ranking Magos tasked with building up a new forgeworld. You get some stuff to start with and get going and then after a bit the imperial war effort starts making demands that must be met, all the while juggling and optimizing the ever growing factory.

Maybe have preset stuff where you're sent into an existing factory to make it better too.

A grimdark factory builder is something I really wanna see now and I'm not entirely sure why :V
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #12348 on: March 10, 2024, 06:17:35 pm »

Well we already got a grimdark cleaning simulator. Only a matter of time, really.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 822 823 [824]