Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 858 859 [860] 861 862 ... 1419

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1787877 times)

Owlga

• Bay Watcher
  • Turbo times two
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #12885 on: May 12, 2015, 10:15:25 pm »

Does anyone seriously know how to potentially make someone forget a lot. Like, quickly.

Because I'm personally terrified if I don't find a way to do that Ill have new reasons to post here soon.
Quote from: Cupaketan
if u cant taek a cake, dont do a bake, in a kitchen
so u hav2 leve it ok bc its 2 hot 4u
Owlga is the chillest anime girl ever.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #12886 on: May 12, 2015, 10:22:27 pm »

Jagermeister
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12887 on: May 12, 2015, 10:31:22 pm »

(One of the 30-40 (50?) year old MREs had a can of ham in it that looked just like (the meat not the can) one in the video. It actually tasted pretty good and went well with the giant old crackers. It didn't have an off taste or anything)
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12888 on: May 12, 2015, 10:33:29 pm »

Does anyone seriously know how to potentially make someone forget a lot. Like, quickly.

Because I'm personally terrified if I don't find a way to do that Ill have new reasons to post here soon.
I personally rile myself up emotionally until thinking is a bit difficult, repeatedly call up parts of the memory of the thing I want to forget and add/change details, and do that until the entire thing is so hideously inaccurate that when I call the sum up later it is so inconsistent that it falls to pieces. Probably the reason I can only recall snippets of childhood.
1.5-2hrs
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #12889 on: May 12, 2015, 11:22:47 pm »

Due to totally lacking time to refine or give links/references, I'd REALLY advocate the study of memory and how it affects cognitive processing.
But in regards to forgetting, I presume that it pertains to traumatic experiences {or generally anything bad in the past? :/}.
In a -VERY BLUNT WAY-, I would detail personal experience. The basic idea is to use the analogy of forgetting--even when you 'literally don't forget'. That means actually staring that experience in the face, then noticing how it hurts you, then noticing where these things come from, probably with researching ways on how you understand and move through them--thereby 'forgetting' them despite it being in memory.

Sorry I couldn't help better (primarily due to time :-X)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12890 on: May 12, 2015, 11:39:25 pm »

In a -VERY BLUNT WAY-, I would detail personal experience. The basic idea is to use the analogy of forgetting--even when you 'literally don't forget'. That means actually staring that experience in the face, then noticing how it hurts you, then noticing where these things come from, probably with researching ways on how you understand and move through them--thereby 'forgetting' them despite it being in memory.
Yeah, in a sense the best (and really only) way to "deal" with traumatic experiences is to confront them over and over again in scenarios that make you comfortable or happy (which may take multiple sittings, since the reviewing process often degrades your current emotional state somewhat). Each time you remember a memory your brain has to do a decode/encode process on the memory, and the encoding process takes a bit of input from the way you are currently thinking. Thus each time you review a traumatic memory while in a non-traumatic state of mind you slightly reduce the ability of said memory to traumatize you, because a bit of the traumatic emotions of the memory are overwritten with the calmer ones that you are feeling when you review it.

Even the forget/add details thing is doing the same process, though it's trading the actual memory itself away in exchange for a slightly faster emotional decay. (And honestly in most cases I think it's much better to remember a memory and be able to look at it later without whatever traumatic emotional impact it had than it is to totally forget it; without remembering something it's near impossible to learn about how to avoid it in the future, after all).

Though once again I'd like to reiterate that none of us are professionals, we are random people on the internet. Get professional help if you feel you need it, or if time is of the essence. Don't gamble important things on the sayings of random bystanders, get knowledge from those people who actually have it if you need it.

Edit: Typo fix
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 11:49:18 pm by i2amroy »
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #12891 on: May 12, 2015, 11:42:06 pm »

Alcohol for non-serious issues, but if you're referring to who I think you are then just prolonged conversations could help a lot, especially if you know her irl.

Owlga

• Bay Watcher
  • Turbo times two
    • View Profile
« Reply #12892 on: May 12, 2015, 11:44:32 pm »

Yeah it is, she found my post and said it was a pretty silly thing to ask but she appreciated how concerned I am. The main issue is I'm worn out since these conversations go on all day, and then I can't do much and she feels alone.

At the very least something lately has moved her onto trying to find a good virtual table top considering she finds roll20 annoying and maptools crashy.
Quote from: Cupaketan
if u cant taek a cake, dont do a bake, in a kitchen
so u hav2 leve it ok bc its 2 hot 4u
Owlga is the chillest anime girl ever.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #12893 on: May 13, 2015, 12:11:39 am »

Interview for promotion has finally been scheduled -- 38 hours from now.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #12894 on: May 13, 2015, 02:11:30 am »

My own lack of ability to affect anything, though truth be told what it's actually making me feel is probably more suited for a rage thread than this one..
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12895 on: May 13, 2015, 08:04:15 am »

My wife has excessive bleeding, and is going in for an ultrasound.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12896 on: May 13, 2015, 08:37:48 am »

Figure I might top it up and see how long the thing keeps going.
in some cases after prolonged exposure to the grids, the effect can last up to three and a half months
18 hours down, still going fine. This is a really cool thing.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #12897 on: May 13, 2015, 09:42:52 am »

oh, no.
Packaged.

There was the foil packet of rice and the foil packet of sauce, mix the two together in the paper pot it came in, microwave for two minutes, eat.

It's just been sitting in a cupboard for presumably over half a decade.

I ate 40 or so year old food... Vietnam era MREs
They weren't bad at all except for the well aged pound cake. Smelled really good and looked nice but only a couple minutes out of package it began to show it's age as the oxygen got to it. It turned brown and started to smell. It also tasted terrible(tasted before it looked bad)
Judging by my father's description of the MREs from when he was in the military, I think that's less of a problem with the food going bad and more of it being crap to begin with.

My wife has excessive bleeding, and is going in for an ultrasound.
I hope it's nothing bad :c

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12898 on: May 13, 2015, 10:39:20 am »

Scan showed that everything was normal, but she was given a pill to help the bleeding.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12899 on: May 13, 2015, 02:33:37 pm »

Dentistry. I have it. Two more fillings. Joy of fucking joys.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...
Pages: 1 ... 858 859 [860] 861 862 ... 1419