Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1045 1046 [1047] 1048 1049 ... 1419

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1785194 times)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #15690 on: February 29, 2016, 02:05:56 pm »

I'm currently revising a ton of stuff on forensic medicine, so I've been basically looking at descriptions of different types of deaths and detailed photos of dead people to go along with it.
Its not the pictures that are scary, though (some of them are pretty ugly, but eh, I've seen worse on the internet) its the actual descriptions of how the death actualy happens, the physical-biological processes involved, and just how long it takes to actualy die.
All I know is that if I ever feel like killing myself, I'll def not try to do it by hanging myself, or drowning, or asphyxia in any way :v
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 02:08:16 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Sebastian2203

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15691 on: February 29, 2016, 02:33:02 pm »

Actually, some deaths might not be as painful as it might seem?

For example, imagine getting bitten by a dog to death.
Because I have suffered some pain in an anxious situation, I know that the rush with the adrenaline makes you sort of ignore the pain and you are in some sort of shock unable to really acknowledge the pain.

But other deaths which are longer than a moment suck,
but then letīs look on a suicide,
if you were a person who suffers something badly enough to commit a suicide, might a little bit of mortal damage bother you?
I dunno but thatīs how I explain it to myself.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15692 on: February 29, 2016, 02:52:07 pm »

Mayhap not, but asphyxia is def a case in which the death is significantly more painful then it looks. It can take up to 3 minutes to actualy lose conciousness. 3 minutes of your lungs feeling like they're on fire as an indeterminated number of blood vessels start to burst inside it. Drowning is a specially terrible.

But on death caused by animals, dogs/wolves and big cats are one thing, because these animals tend to be efficient killers and go for the neck and try to quickly kill their prey. Unlike those, a bear is an animal that doesn't care if you're dead by the time it starts to eat you. Bears are known to simply grab animals (and humans) and start eating them on the spot, regardless of what part they're actualy gnawing on.

In shorts, bears are jerks.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15693 on: February 29, 2016, 02:56:28 pm »

I'll def not try to do it by hanging myself
Well, using a short drop is dumb. Using a long drop ought to be nearly pain-free though, and quick to boot.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #15694 on: February 29, 2016, 03:14:08 pm »

Mayhap not, but asphyxia is def a case in which the death is significantly more painful then it looks. It can take up to 3 minutes to actualy lose conciousness. 3 minutes of your lungs feeling like they're on fire as an indeterminated number of blood vessels start to burst inside it. Drowning is a specially terrible.

But on death caused by animals, dogs/wolves and big cats are one thing, because these animals tend to be efficient killers and go for the neck and try to quickly kill their prey. Unlike those, a bear is an animal that doesn't care if you're dead by the time it starts to eat you. Bears are known to simply grab animals (and humans) and start eating them on the spot, regardless of what part they're actualy gnawing on.

...actually, IIRC from forensics, it's speculated that most strangulation deaths involve either the victim falling unconscious, or their hearts stopping outright, due to heavy stimulation of the carotid sinus.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #15695 on: February 29, 2016, 03:19:45 pm »

Hyenas and wild dogs don't necessarily kill their prey outright either. There are plenty of youtube videos with some poor thing being eaten by one or more canids that are either making no attempt to actually kill it or are completely incompetent.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15696 on: February 29, 2016, 04:07:38 pm »

...actually, IIRC from forensics, it's speculated that most strangulation deaths involve either the victim falling unconscious, or their hearts stopping outright, due to heavy stimulation of the carotid sinus.

Thats the thing. It MAY take up to 3 minutes to actualy lose conciousness, it all depends on the set up and each person's individual characteristics.

Some victims, for example, die of cardiac arrest even before hypoxia sets in, for a variety of reasons, be it predisposition or how the strangulation takes place. In hangings, other factors may cause death before actual asphyxia, like the neck bearing and etc.
Keep in mind that strangulation and hanging are different things. In strangulation, the rope tightens around the neck on all sides, while in hanging, the pressure is mostly applied to the front and upper part of the neck, usualy, and the arteries may not be as affected.

There's also this one about drownings, this one phenomena that happens with some victims that, due to natural predisposition, experience a kind of "sudden death" upon diving into the cold water. These victims show none of the general signs of death by drowning or asphyxia (IE no ruptured blood vessels in the lungs, almost no liquid inside the respiratory system, no cyanosis, etc) since they die to a kind of neurogenic shock.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 04:12:51 pm by TempAcc »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #15697 on: February 29, 2016, 04:15:39 pm »

They referred explicitly to common hanging suicides, so I'm guessing that in that context they were involved.  Plus ropes are "curved", after all. I doubt very much it's easy to apply pressure just to the front of the neck.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15698 on: February 29, 2016, 04:16:36 pm »

This is starting to get a bit weirder than usual.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #15699 on: February 29, 2016, 04:53:24 pm »

They referred explicitly to common hanging suicides, so I'm guessing that in that context they were involved.  Plus ropes are "curved", after all. I doubt very much it's easy to apply pressure just to the front of the neck.
Hanging executions would usually involve a weight tied to the victim's feet, to avoid that exact problem. Without the weight, hanging takes a long time (three-four minutes IIRC) to actually kill the guy.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15700 on: February 29, 2016, 05:20:14 pm »

Execution by hanging snaps the neck if it's done properly. If the rope is too short in relation to the body weight of the condemned, however, he suffocates instead. Too long, and it can cause decapitation.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15701 on: February 29, 2016, 08:47:39 pm »

Only "safe" way is explosives in direct contact with the skull.

Actually, that will only kill you at about the speed of sound through water. Faster would be Death by supernova, which would be closer to speed of light though water. Faster than that would be mostly pointless and very hard to accomplish.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 08:50:28 pm by Egan_BW »
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #15702 on: February 29, 2016, 08:53:53 pm »

I'll def not try to do it by hanging myself
Well, using a short drop is dumb. Using a long drop ought to be nearly pain-free though, and quick to boot.
Won't breaking your neck be pretty painful?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #15703 on: February 29, 2016, 08:56:51 pm »

Depends. If the spinal cord is broken then it's gg.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #15704 on: February 29, 2016, 09:28:23 pm »

If you want a certain, fast, and nigh-painless way of killing someone, give them painkillers and project an extremely intense beam of gamma radiation through their central nervous system.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com
Pages: 1 ... 1045 1046 [1047] 1048 1049 ... 1419