Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1175 1176 [1177] 1178 1179 ... 1419

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1781462 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #17640 on: March 30, 2017, 11:07:56 am »

I remember once trying to calculate how much of the surface area of Australia could be actually incinerated by US nuclear weapons. I ended up estimating between 1/3 and 1/2 of all land in Australia could be caught in the direct blast (which, it occured to me latter, is probably wildly unnecessary given how freaking empty Australia is; this would be only useful if Australia was overrun by mutant fungus or something).
....It's Australia, you think they're not going to be overrun by mutant fungus and/or emus at some point?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17641 on: March 30, 2017, 11:08:08 am »

Seriously, if you are looking to cause an extinction level event, all you need is a few well placed nukes just ahead or behind of earth orbit, to redirect some really big space rocks.

For a tiny fraction of the cost to glass AU, you can destroy all complex life on the planet. Be economical here, if you intend to be a super-villain.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #17642 on: March 30, 2017, 08:34:39 pm »

Can you actually meaningfully and accurately redirect asteroid trajectories with just nukes? If so, why haven't we knocked a juicy one into orbit to mine yet?
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17643 on: March 30, 2017, 08:39:43 pm »

Had a fairly close encounter with a train today.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17644 on: March 30, 2017, 08:42:48 pm »

Eep!  No having close encounters with trains, Sirus!  :v

Glad you're alright though.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 08:50:22 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #17645 on: March 30, 2017, 08:47:19 pm »

Long as you're alright and your vehicle in one piece?
Can you actually meaningfully and accurately redirect asteroid trajectories with just nukes? If so, why haven't we knocked a juicy one into orbit to mine yet?
Cost, mostly, near as I can recall. Our lift capacity (up and down) isn't quite to the point it would be worth the price to do the mining, never mind the actual nuke part (and getting the world's nuclear powers to sign off on openly putting nukes into space to begin with). Beyond that, while we're pretty damn good at the whole orbital mechanics thing at this point, we're not quite to the level anyone in particular would be comfortable playing nuclear billiards with asteroids and our only planet as the corner pocket. Also you'd again have to convince world powers to let you do that, when a cockup can mean tunguska except in downtown LA or something. People get rather skittish when a cockup means tunguska in the middle of an urban area.

Basically, even if we do have the technical capability, it's still going to be quite a while before someone gets to try it without someone shooting them for the attempt.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #17646 on: March 30, 2017, 08:59:53 pm »

Sounds like a job for mad science.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #17647 on: March 31, 2017, 02:48:38 am »

I remember once trying to calculate how much of the surface area of Australia could be actually incinerated by US nuclear weapons. I ended up estimating between 1/3 and 1/2 of all land in Australia could be caught in the direct blast (which, it occured to me latter, is probably wildly unnecessary given how freaking empty Australia is; this would be only useful if Australia was overrun by mutant fungus or something).
....It's Australia, you think they're not going to be overrun by mutant fungus and/or emus at some point?
Just a reminder to you all that Australia has gone to war with the emus before. We lost.

The Great Emu War

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17648 on: March 31, 2017, 02:53:07 am »

If sufficient angular trajectory is allowed for, YES. (.1 degrees, over several hundred thousand miles travel distance, is *A LOT* of deviation See? One nudge at 100,000mi, resulting in a .1deg change in trajectory, will result in a 174.5 mile deviation. Do that several times at the right times, and you can steer that asteroid wherever you want.. Proper planning and delivery would allow this to happen.)

We have not, because:

1) Cost of imprecise calculation is having a big asteroid hit the planet.
2) It is illegal to launch nukes into space like that.

However, if you are a mad scientist, who WANTS to kill all life on the planet, those two pitfalls are meaningless, and for the cost of a few stolen ICBMs with nukes on the end, he can doom the entire planet, on the cheap.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 02:59:44 am by wierd »

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #17649 on: March 31, 2017, 06:37:29 am »

Why would you use nukes anyways? I feel like the radiation would be wasted on a piece of rock, and make mining harder.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #17650 on: March 31, 2017, 07:04:41 am »

Short of putting a rocket motor with lots of fuel on there (which would potentially be better because it would be sustained acceleration instead of transient) a nuclear explosive would give you the greatest amount of delta-V for the mass cost. Nothing else we have rivals the energy density of a nuclear warhead, and (despite alarmist propaganda) the long-term radiation from a nuclear blast isn't that severe, particularly in space (where most of the fallout would disperse harmlessly).
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17651 on: March 31, 2017, 07:06:48 am »

For the purposes of global annihilation, It is very hard to pack the same energy/kg ratio for fuel to divert the asteroid. Especially when the REASON you want the asteroid, is to use it as a kinetic impactor.

For the purposes of mining it, in addition to all the ethical and legal issues of trying to orbit one (Due to the risk of, you know, dropping it on somebody because you were a decimal place off in your calculations, or forgot to account for the gravitational influence of the moon, or whathaveyou) YES-- it being irradiated would be another difficult problem, which if you decided was too significant, you will then greatly increase the costs of the mission to use significantly less energy dense fuels to divert said asteroid, greatly increasing launch costs of your mission.

Again, the statement was that if you wanted to -- eg, "destroy Australia", you need not use the entire world's arsenal of nuclear weapons. You only need a tiny fraction thereof, if you decide that you want to use a giant flipping meteor instead. :P

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #17652 on: March 31, 2017, 02:44:27 pm »

Still, it makes no sense that someone would rather use the same amount of resources to kill us all than to give us all cheap minerals. Most people with lots of nukes would probably prefer the latter scenario.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17653 on: April 01, 2017, 06:27:37 pm »

Short of putting a rocket motor with lots of fuel on there (which would potentially be better because it would be sustained acceleration instead of transient) a nuclear explosive would give you the greatest amount of delta-V for the mass cost. Nothing else we have rivals the energy density of a nuclear warhead, and (despite alarmist propaganda) the long-term radiation from a nuclear blast isn't that severe, particularly in space (where most of the fallout would disperse harmlessly).
Actually, couldn't you use a nuclear reactor to heat up part of the asteroid's mass and expel it into space? That should be much more efficient than effectively using the nuke itself as reaction mass.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #17654 on: April 01, 2017, 10:23:11 pm »

Even better if you do heating using a laser. Nuke powered laser asteroid mover.
Pages: 1 ... 1175 1176 [1177] 1178 1179 ... 1419