Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1263 1264 [1265] 1266 1267 ... 1419

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1787581 times)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #18960 on: July 23, 2018, 06:22:03 am »

It is probably worth pointing out that the utility of pain as a signal varies wildly. It is worth knowing urgently that you're being physically damaged, and nociception is appropriately alarming; there is somewhat less urgency in knowing that one is still chronically ill in some unmanageable way, and yet the pain persists.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18961 on: July 23, 2018, 07:12:42 am »

Verily.

Maximum Spin, stay the hell away from me. You have the mentality of a villain there. "Suffering is just as valuable as happiness, and it can teach us important lessons" sounds a lot like "Why not torture the shit out of someone if I think it teaches them some important lesson in my twisted little brain".

Inevitable as moral is also incomprehensibly flawed. Technically all things are inevitable, because everything is the product of everything that has gone before - that doesn't make everything a morally acceptable action or consequence.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18962 on: July 23, 2018, 07:18:12 am »

Inevitable as moral is also incomprehensibly flawed. Technically all things are inevitable, because everything is the product of everything that has gone before - that doesn't make everything a morally acceptable action or consequence.

If anything, the inevitable is amoral, but that just encourages people not to look too hard for alternatives to whatever awful thing they want to justify.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18963 on: July 23, 2018, 07:26:09 am »

If anything, the inevitable is amoral, but that just encourages people not to look too hard for alternatives to whatever awful thing they want to justify.

I personally consider that nothing is truly inevitable (outside of the purely mechanical manner in which all things are predetermined by physical laws), which sidesteps the evil-justification thing.  Suffering of some sort may happen, is likely to happen, but no instance of it is inevitable as we understand inevitability.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18964 on: July 23, 2018, 07:33:50 am »

I personally consider that nothing is truly inevitable (outside of the purely mechanical manner in which all things are predetermined by physical laws), which sidesteps the evil-justification thing.  Suffering of some sort may happen, is likely to happen, but no instance of it is inevitable as we understand inevitability.

That is ambitious of you. As a practical matter, many undesirable things are quite beyond our present capacity to change, among them things like chronic incurable diseases. Certainly they need not always be so, but at the present moment it is hard to see how they are not inevitable.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #18965 on: July 23, 2018, 07:37:53 am »

It was inevitable.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18967 on: July 23, 2018, 07:44:00 am »

Verily.

Maximum Spin, stay the hell away from me. You have the mentality of a villain there. "Suffering is just as valuable as happiness, and it can teach us important lessons" sounds a lot like "Why not torture the shit out of someone if I think it teaches them some important lesson in my twisted little brain".

This is a misunderstanding. Viktor Frankl probably said it best in his book "A Man's Search for Meaning" that suffering is one of the paths towards finding meaning in life. Suffering is not objective, it's subjective, it's open to interpretation, and your mind always has conscious control of interpretation. Just because you suffer doesn't mean you're a slave to that suffering, you always have control over your own reactions to things that are happening to you, and in this way suffering is actually empowering. In other words, suffering is the reminder that you always have freedom, the true freedom inside your mind, and that can never be taken away from you by anything, not even by the harshest suffering of a concentration camp like Viktor experienced.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 07:52:38 am by JoshuaFH »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18968 on: July 23, 2018, 07:45:25 am »

If it's not a universal law, there's a way to move it. We're creatures pretty well adapted to finding ways. And if we can't find the way, we can always try finding new ways to find new ways to find ways to move things.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #18969 on: July 23, 2018, 07:48:28 am »

It has always struck me as disturbing when religions promise an end to suffering.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18970 on: July 23, 2018, 09:02:22 am »

Whereas to me, happiness and contentment are Good (capital G intended) and suffering is Bad.  Any conscious action taken by a moral actor to increase suffering or reduce happiness is Evil, and so too is any action to increase happiness or reduce suffering a Good one.  An action taken which results in one or the other without the intent to do so is consequentially good or evil, but not necessarily morally good or evil. Basic utilitarianism here, guys.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #18971 on: July 23, 2018, 09:07:00 am »

The problem about staying holed up on Earth is that it's putting all our eggs in one basket. Something that destroys Earth would wipe out humanity entirely. If we become a spacefaring race, our chance of surviving increases exponentially, and this buys us more time to Fix Everything. Assuming that the Good and Bad generally break even in a human's life, maximizing humanity's survival should not have any net negative impact on happiness. With creative enough interpretation of Happiness, all human beings can be regarded to be Happy up to the point that they want to die. It might not be the hedonistic euphoria you expect, but I find that having a meaningful existence is a Happy existence, even as you suffer for it.

Trying to prevent humanity from becoming spacefarers would be akin to involuntary euthanasia.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 09:08:52 am by Cinder »
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18972 on: July 23, 2018, 09:14:07 am »

It's not euthanasia. It's prolonged mass suicide.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18973 on: July 23, 2018, 09:16:53 am »

Whereas to me, happiness and contentment are Good (capital G intended) and suffering is Bad.  Any conscious action taken by a moral actor to increase suffering or reduce happiness is Evil, and so too is any action to increase happiness or reduce suffering a Good one.  An action taken which results in one or the other without the intent to do so is consequentially good or evil, but not necessarily morally good or evil. Basic utilitarianism here, guys.

Sometimes pain is necessary to avoid injury, and I'd rather endure the pain of singed hands for a few days than be permanently crippled by fire.
So, it would not be moral to try to reduce suffering by dulling everyone's senses, because that lack of suffering will lead to damages, and then more suffering, or possibly the complete sensation of all positive or negative sensation.

Also actually managing to change the world in order to spread happiness will most likely require an understanding of the world, and the process of gaining that experience and knowledge might be painful in itself.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18974 on: July 23, 2018, 09:19:40 am »

I've just gone and had a look at the findings of the 2018 happiness report. apparently we are, on average, neither happy not unhappy, but of the people polled, they tended to be happy rather than unhappy. Of course, that doesn't allow us to check people who were unable to reply, or those who have already removed themselves from the polls, but I'll stand by the data and retract my point.

Egan, foreseeable happiness and suffering are factored in, in a full consideration of utilitarianism, as well as the distribution and weighting of happiness and suffering.
Pages: 1 ... 1263 1264 [1265] 1266 1267 ... 1419