Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1273 1274 [1275] 1276 1277 ... 1419

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1758344 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #19110 on: July 30, 2018, 09:44:20 am »

Don't get attacked. That part was a joke. The second part was fairly true in my experience. I haven't dealt with a great deal of stray dog packs, but the few times I have, they left me alone because I did basically what you did. Yell at them and gesture a little, then move on once you're fairly confident you're not getting bit. I reccommend getting a walking stick, or something of that nature to swing about threateningly. If you can't manage that, carry a few fist sized rocks and pitch them at the dogs if they get too close. If they're trying to predate upon you, they don't want to get hurt, they want an easy meal, so a relatively minor amount of disincentive is all you should need. Unless stray dogs are a huge problem in your area (like they are in many USA Native American reservations) then you need to get serious about killing them when they approach you. A gun or something. Also, does your area have animal control?

Also don't violate local animal cruelty laws.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #19111 on: July 30, 2018, 11:44:30 am »

...I didn't know there were dogs on the moon...
Love, scriver~

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19112 on: July 30, 2018, 11:52:30 am »

They're hard to see on the dark side.  But if you direct your telescope at the new moon, you may see their glowing red eyes.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19113 on: July 30, 2018, 12:37:02 pm »

Why else would you Bark at the Moon?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #19114 on: July 30, 2018, 03:30:33 pm »

(like they are in many USA Native American reservations)

This reminds me, one of the foresters here on the local reservation insists that the wolves arent attacking peoples livestock, because wolves are afraid of the smell of the chemicals in the animals feed. He thinks its feral dogs, and has seen them attacking livestock. Which is almost certainly true, the feral dogs eat all sorts of shit. So many freaken dogs.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19115 on: July 30, 2018, 03:45:56 pm »

I also think it's statistically probable. Dogs, both feral and owned, attack a lot of livestock.
Love, scriver~

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19116 on: July 30, 2018, 04:56:11 pm »

I gotta ask what typo I made that inspired this comment.

(like they are in many USA Native American reservations)

This reminds me, one of the foresters here on the local reservation insists that the wolves arent attacking peoples livestock, because wolves are afraid of the smell of the chemicals in the animals feed. He thinks its feral dogs, and has seen them attacking livestock. Which is almost certainly true, the feral dogs eat all sorts of shit. So many freaken dogs.

... It's probably both. I sincerely doubt wolves would pass up a meal because the livestock eats some chemicals that help growth and prevent parasites.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19117 on: July 30, 2018, 05:06:14 pm »

I gotta ask what typo I made that inspired this comment

M-O-O-N! That spells 'nah you didn't do anything I just looked at his location on his account page and it said "the dark side of the moon"'!
Love, scriver~

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19118 on: July 30, 2018, 05:25:29 pm »

You'd think that, if the various additives in cattle-feed were enough to set wolves off, they'd be enough to set the cattle themselves off. After all, they're the ones eating the damn stuff.

... And also the dogs, too.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19119 on: July 30, 2018, 05:50:57 pm »

You'd think that, if the various additives in cattle-feed were enough to set wolves off, they'd be enough to set the cattle themselves off. After all, they're the ones eating the damn stuff.

You'd also think that animals with higher-level cognitive abilities, including rational thinking and problem solving, with an entire world's worth of research and information available to them, would stop eating shit that directly and negatively affects their health.

And you'd be wrong, too!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #19120 on: July 30, 2018, 06:01:37 pm »

Except that everyone does not follow the world's research, and indeed many are too poor to act on it even if they did.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #19121 on: July 30, 2018, 06:46:00 pm »

... It's probably both. I sincerely doubt wolves would pass up a meal because the livestock eats some chemicals that help growth and prevent parasites.

I would have thought so too. Then again, maybe weve broken domestic dogs/cattle so much they dont recognize dangerous substances? My dog literally ate two full containers of worm medicine, dosed for horses. Technically, she should be dead. She didnt even get sick. Didnt have worms, tho.

I guess the only way to find out is to feed the wolves chunks of meat, either from an animal fed with supplemented feed or non supplemented feed, and see if they really do have some aversion to dietary supplements.

But, wolves dont usually scavenge anything that isnt freshly killed, can travel like 40 miles a day or some bullshit, and you never know where they are, so setting up an experiment like that in the wild would be a tall order, and wolves kept in captivity might give zero shits just because.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19122 on: July 30, 2018, 06:48:57 pm »

Introduce jackals, a natural predator of everything including dogs.

Then once the dogs are gone call the police and say some asshole let a bunch of jackals loose and let them handle it.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19123 on: July 30, 2018, 08:15:56 pm »

I gotta ask what typo I made that inspired this comment

M-O-O-N! That spells 'nah you didn't do anything I just looked at his location on his account page and it said "the dark side of the moon"'!
I spy with my little eye a muthafukin The Stand reference.
Which is great because I'm going through the (nearly 50-hour-long) audiobook right now.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19124 on: July 30, 2018, 09:46:58 pm »

Is that the original or de-abridged version?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 1273 1274 [1275] 1276 1277 ... 1419