Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1279 1280 [1281] 1282 1283 ... 1419

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1776648 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #19200 on: August 17, 2018, 04:19:57 pm »

Ended up stumbling upon a collection of military greentext screenshots which had likely been ripped by Reddit before getting copied over to an ensemble on imgur. As the cycle tends to go, y'know...

Chuckled at the funny ones, glared sternly at the blatantly untrue ones, appreciated the random cryptid ghost story, and then my brain decided to play the association game and reminded me of a couple of my own military experiences.

So now my pulse has jumped up, I'm sweating slightly and my heart feels like it's being gripped by Jack Frost's jacking hand. Shit.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19201 on: August 17, 2018, 04:25:45 pm »

Have a lighthearted terror.

Several emulation sites have been served with serious copyright strikes and have been forced to remove all of their games. This is understandable, but with them have disappeared tens of romhacks that you cannot find anywhere else, and so many rare niche games from defunct companies that aren't popular enough for torrents and will never be sold again.

I know all is not lost as of yet, but this makes me seriously worried for archival purposes of old games. The copyright holders are playing a game they cannot win, but every time people have to reorganize is a time that these little things are likely going to be missing. The thought of media being lost permanently is not a pleasant one.

That sucks! Just imagine the work that has gone into translations and hacks. Good thing I filled my SD card a short while ago.
Most translations, at least, are distributed as IPS files rather than a completed ROM nowadays.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19202 on: August 17, 2018, 11:53:08 pm »

Ended up stumbling upon a collection of military greentext screenshots which had likely been ripped by Reddit before getting copied over to an ensemble on imgur. As the cycle tends to go, y'know...

Chuckled at the funny ones, glared sternly at the blatantly untrue ones, appreciated the random cryptid ghost story, and then my brain decided to play the association game and reminded me of a couple of my own military experiences.

So now my pulse has jumped up, I'm sweating slightly and my heart feels like it's being gripped by Jack Frost's jacking hand. Shit.
Is this like PTSDs little brother?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19203 on: August 18, 2018, 02:35:39 am »

Kinda, except I don't even have a proper T to be P.  As mentioned before, we were never in any actual combat areas, never even left the country. I just ended up taking things really, really, really poorly. Turns out, untreated depression and the army don't really mix.

I even had a few months after discharge where I'd wake up suddenly with pulse racing and the horrified idea that I'd just dreamt getting out, and would wake up back in the army at any moment. Couldn't listen to air raid sirens either without freaking out. Also had hallucinations a couple times, which is always good fun. Staring at your phone early in the morning on a Saturday and hearing its alarm ringing repeatedly, despite the phone not actually making any noise at all... That was fun.

It's gotten better and I started meds/treatment since then, but yeah. There are still some memories that take me back in a bad way.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19204 on: August 18, 2018, 02:46:31 am »

Trauma comes in a lot of varieties and flavors, not all result from things that are severe on the surface, you had bad experiences and they are still with you.  It doesn't matter what the cause is, just how you handle it.

As someone who has all the signs of classic PTSD myself (I am not diagnosed, and am not seeking diagnosis), it's probably better if you try some PTSD coping strategies when things trigger you.  If they work, great, if they don't, congratulations, at least you probably don't actually have PTSD.  Tho' it really sounds like PTSD, I have some similar symptoms, the weird hallucinations and flashbacks are probably the worst.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19205 on: August 18, 2018, 03:04:51 am »

My neighbor's car alarm sounds a lot like an air raid/nuclear siren. I often freak out when I hear it.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19206 on: August 18, 2018, 03:15:04 am »

The flashbacks thankfully stopped after a few months, and I've gotten a lot better with the sirens. I mean, they still put me a bit on edge, but that's kinda what they're designed to do anyways.

My official diagnosis is classed as a form of "enduring personality change", which is reasonably closely related to proper PTSD. Most of it's from my childhood actually, the military just sorta set me off. The fact that I went through a lot of stress, uncertainty and betrayal in the period after the military doesn't really help, either...

So now I've just got a fuckload of stress, no real coping strategies and a permanent sense of being slightly in danger to go along with my "below expectations" service report. But on the bright side, you really do get a "come on, I've been through worse than this already" voice in the back of your head when trying to do something physically strenuous.

As well as an incredible distaste for anyone griping about civvie problems on Facebook.

My neighbor's car alarm sounds a lot like an air raid/nuclear siren. I often freak out when I hear it.
For added enjoyment, have your friends and romantic interests use it as their phone's alarm noise! Fuck!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19207 on: September 06, 2018, 12:01:49 am »

Jeez Louise, I'd forgotten how nerve-wracking it is to leave an answering machine message. In fact, I somehow kidded myself into thinking it'd be easy, that I'd breeze through it without needing to think too hard about what I planned to say.

Pretty sure I ended up sounding like some raspy-voiced, sewer-dwelling mutant that gnaws on rats and empty takeaway containers for sustenance all whilst chain-smoking scavenged cigarettes, bits of styrofoam and discarded hair clippings and breathlessly fleeing into the shadows at the slightest sign of those bamboozling surface dwellers.

Bloody hell. >.>;
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19208 on: September 06, 2018, 12:17:52 am »

I always dreaded and went drythroat for that.  Croaking out apologies for the ansible of eternity.

I... have left certain voice messages from my family unlistened to.  I know their content, because I immediately reached out via text messages, and yet I don't want to listen.  The

If you're familiar with Girl Genius, the webcomic...  Well, in any case, the idea that certain sounds evoke emotions.  Certain voices.

I don't want to hear them.  I'm afraid to hear them.  I'm happy to communicate, but I never want to hear them chastise me again!  Ever!
My family has a vocal resonance over me that I strongly resent.

Not to mention Him, heh.  And even the It-he guy!
Voice has a power over me.  It's both good and terrifying.

...so good, aheh...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 12:56:50 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19209 on: September 06, 2018, 08:38:52 am »

I dreamt I shot a dog in the heart last night.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19210 on: September 06, 2018, 12:38:07 pm »

Yeah my dreams are often traumatically realistic so I understand your pain there GO.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19213 on: September 06, 2018, 01:03:58 pm »

most dangerous things in Australia
W-... Why are the subtitles in Korean?

Yeah, not sure what's up with that, and converting the subtitles into English gave text that has zero relationship to the video.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 01:07:06 pm by Reelya »

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19214 on: September 06, 2018, 05:30:59 pm »

Yeah, not sure what's up with that, and converting the subtitles into English gave text that has zero relationship to the video.
I mean, that's youtube's subtitle system normally
Pages: 1 ... 1279 1280 [1281] 1282 1283 ... 1419