Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1316 1317 [1318] 1319 1320 ... 1419

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1781332 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #19755 on: March 25, 2019, 06:09:44 pm »

@Greiger: hoping it turns out to be nothing serious.
Good on her for going straight to a doctor rather than waiting to see if the symptoms would clear up on their own.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19756 on: April 01, 2019, 11:44:45 am »

on the verge of a nervous breakdown right now with all thats going on in my life
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #19757 on: April 01, 2019, 12:02:35 pm »

on the verge of a nervous breakdown right now with all thats going on in my life
Ditto. Add in existential crisis
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19758 on: April 01, 2019, 12:15:02 pm »

So this 20m2 half-of-a-duplex outside of central is actually a steal at the listed $690 a month.
20 square meters? Is that a typo?  Especially at that price...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19759 on: April 01, 2019, 12:32:32 pm »

So this 20m2 half-of-a-duplex outside of central is actually a steal at the listed $690 a month.
20 square meters? Is that a typo?  Especially at that price...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Nope, that's legit. For one person, that's pretty much the best you're gonna get if you enjoy being able to actually pay your rent. Hell, my GF's apartment is 22m2, and that's split between two adults and two chihuahuas.

And considering that the other apartment was newly renovated, included some furnishings (such as fridge), and had several other payments (water, sewage, trash disposal) factored in? Yes, $690 is a ridiculously good price. The kind you immediately get skeptical about, because there's clearly some sort of weird shit going on to make it cost so little (in this case, the wackjob owner). Also the building as a whole ended up being a, uh... Triplex? Fuck if I know. But my apartment was the smallest one of the three rental properties there, the other two being family-sized apartments.

Tomorrow I'm going out to make my best damn impression possible on "The Dream" apartment. All-inclusive rent except for electricity usage that isn't heating (meaning about $20 or so a month), fully furnished with fridge/micro/dishwasher/washing machine/dryer, everything seems to be up to code, again newly renovated, physically cannot get more central than this building...

18m2, just about $907 a month. Plus the electrical bill, so total monthly payments are gonna pretty much be $927 on the dot. That's, again, a really good price.

You want something bigger? Okay. 26m2 2-room apartment with reasonably central location (about a kilometer's difference plus a bridge): $930 a month. Plus all electrical. Plus internet/TV. Unfurnished.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19760 on: April 01, 2019, 12:40:47 pm »

And considering that the other apartment was newly renovated, included some furnishings (such as fridge), and had several other payments (water, sewage, trash disposal) factored in? Yes, $690 is a ridiculously good price.

I thought like 10 people lived in the entirety of Norway. What is this crap.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19761 on: April 01, 2019, 12:44:54 pm »

I'm not even in the capital. I had a friend who lived in a central apartment in the capital. Fairly decent size place though, two bedrooms with kitchen+living room.

Intended for two people, but they got a third roommate because the rent was $2790 a month.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #19762 on: April 01, 2019, 01:30:38 pm »

What are wages like in Norway? I find it ludicrously expensive.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19763 on: April 01, 2019, 01:36:45 pm »

My 3-year old kid (He's like 90% nonverbal to boot) had some kind of motherf****** Peele-level horror shit-show of a nightmare last night.

He woke up and started flipping his goddam wig, and was afraid to get out of bed and pointing around the room in terror, and was also trying to get hugs for comfort but also refused to look at my face (he was actually kicking at me to get me away from him, but then flipping out and trying to get me to come back for hugs, repeat), we eventually had to settle on giving me hugs from behind for about 20m. I sort of had to gently-but-forcibly pick him up from the front and make him realize I am his normal dad face and not whatever the fuck he thought I was. He was also afraid to turn on the lights because he was sure something was hiding in his room/somewhere in the house, and also wanted to go outside because he thought his mama was outside and needed some kind of help, and we had to open all the windows to make sure nothing was outside and also that the lights themselves were just lights not not something scary and walk around the whole house with all the lights on and check under everything before he stopped hyperventilating.

We got to have talks about dreams and them not being real after he finally was able to work through it all, and then he was like whew ok, ok i got this and we went back to sleep.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #19764 on: April 01, 2019, 01:38:37 pm »

What are wages like in Norway?
I assume the minimum wage is 2 3 pickled herrings and a boiled potato
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19765 on: April 01, 2019, 01:51:09 pm »

What are wages like in Norway? I find it ludicrously expensive.
Well, uh... I could probably check and give you a pretty damn exact estimate, on account of tax records being made public. So, yeah, you can log in to the national tax registry and just look at all the taxable income (and nontaxable registered income) a person had 2+ years ago... But it does leave a footprint behind saying that you checked them out.

And since that would be kinda awkward and I don't feel like being awkward right now, I'm just gonna say that I'm pretty low on the list due to living on permanent welfare. After (31%) income taxes, I get just over 16,000 NOK a month. My girlfriend, working full-time handling orders and data entry at a major bakery, makes closer to 40,000 (gross, not net. I'm pretty sure of that, anyways).

There is no universal minimum wage, but there are "agreed-upon industry standards" for various branches. Also the wage-haggling on hiring that happens in the states more or less doesn't exist here, what with how difficult it is to cheat someone out of the publicly-viewable wage that everyone else is clearly getting.

Actually, fuck it, just read the article I was about to start quoting from like I knew a damn shit.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19766 on: April 01, 2019, 01:53:04 pm »

There is no universal minimum wage, but there are "agreed-upon industry standards" for various branches. Also the wage-haggling on hiring that happens in the states more or less doesn't exist here, what with how difficult it is to cheat someone out of the publicly-viewable wage that everyone else is clearly getting.
This is some good idea, we need some of that idea in the States

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19767 on: April 01, 2019, 01:56:33 pm »

This is some good idea, we need some of that idea in the States
Yeah... If you ever wanna freak a Norwegian out, just start talking about how wages are handled in the US. They have no idea what to do with the information and will think you're pulling their leg.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #19768 on: April 01, 2019, 02:13:42 pm »

*shrug* I have a pretty ludicrous wage (I'm fairly sure that higher than I would in Norway) but I find those rental prices as ruinous. On the other hand I checked wikipedia and the average wages in Ireland (or Spain for that matter) are far lower than the average wages in Norway... which would still struggle to cope with those prices, I surmise.

I think I'm pretty much an outlier in my environment insofar as I've never needed to share my living space.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19769 on: April 01, 2019, 02:30:53 pm »

Yeah, well, you're a medical doctor.

You actually are made out of money.
Pages: 1 ... 1316 1317 [1318] 1319 1320 ... 1419