Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1352 1353 [1354] 1355 1356 ... 1358

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1087804 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #20295 on: August 04, 2020, 02:23:38 pm »

It looks like the wind was too weak to expose the area that was on fire in any of the filmed angles. I guess we'll just have to wait for an investigation.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20296 on: August 04, 2020, 02:27:45 pm »

So you're saying we can't rule out the ship theory because of smoke?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20297 on: August 04, 2020, 02:33:08 pm »

You can see the fireworks going in the video I saw. Its possible the fireworks started the fire and it spreaded towards diesel containers and then the explosive materials.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #20298 on: August 04, 2020, 02:37:50 pm »

Here's some super close up video, possibly from a livestream.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20299 on: August 04, 2020, 02:41:03 pm »

Amazing if that person survived.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20300 on: August 04, 2020, 04:12:25 pm »

Was it an attack?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20301 on: August 04, 2020, 04:14:29 pm »

It seems pretty unlikely. This follows the general pattern of a chemical plant explosion - building catches on fire, then a sudden huge explosion midway through the burn.
No Gods, No Masters.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20302 on: August 04, 2020, 04:18:09 pm »

Some is saying there was a drone that dropped something. Im trying to find it. Also there wasnt today a march or protests against hezbolah? Dunno if it has anything to do with anything.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #20304 on: August 06, 2020, 04:09:55 pm »

The explosion in Lebanon was almost certainly the result of an enormous quantity of fertilizer that was confiscated from a ship several years ago and then tied up in legal hell since. There's been evidence discovered that there's been yearly petitions to get the stuff removed before it blew up the town, and workers were sent in to weld the doors shut shortly before the blast to prevent theft.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20305 on: August 09, 2020, 07:36:33 am »

They're being so secretive when yeah just looks a very bad case of the short end of the stick. Who's to blame reeee. I just want a neat bar graphic that compares it to other famous explosions. Ah strike the first sentence maybe nobody actually knows how much was inside, except that some seemed to be dissappearing.
True, it had to be taught through the two troughs too, though the thoughts it threw out, were tough and thorough throughout.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20306 on: August 09, 2020, 08:21:20 am »

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-05/beirut-blast-raises-concern-about-newcastle-ammonium-nitrate/12527546

2,750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate was in the Beirut blast.

Newcastle's stockpile of between 6,000 to 12,000 tonnes is stored at Orica's Kooragang Island plant in the Port of Newcastle, according to the company.

"That factory is only three kilometres from Newcastle's CBD and only 800 metres from North Stockton residents," said chemical engineer and community campaigner Keith Craig.

Newcastle, Australia btw.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20307 on: August 09, 2020, 08:29:58 am »

Damn that's a lot. Daaaaamn that's even more in australia. So how does it compare to say the Halifax Explosion? How powerful is that stuff?
True, it had to be taught through the two troughs too, though the thoughts it threw out, were tough and thorough throughout.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20308 on: August 09, 2020, 08:50:37 am »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TNT_equivalent

This page already has the Beirut explosion listed by size, so that should give you an idea of how big it is on the scale of explosions.

The Beirut explosion was about 2 GWh of power, vs 3.5 GWh for Halifax. So the Australia one could be bigger than that if it exploded. If it was the 12k tonnes size then the expected yield could be over 8 GWh, which is about half the estimated lower bound of the Hiroshima bombing. BTW the population of Newcastle is 322,000, and the estimate population of Hiroshima was 345,000 before the bombing. So, this could in fact be bad on a Hiroshima scale if they don't do something. Beirut was a wake up call.

EDIT: and that got me reading some stuff about Hiroshima now. My take on it is that they didn't need to bomb a city, they could have demonstrated the bomb without doing that, but they wanted to know what it did to real people and that was the window of opportunity.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 08:59:50 am by Reelya »

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20309 on: August 09, 2020, 09:09:53 am »

aw yiss I didn't know what to call it. I bookmarked the handy boomboom chart.

Minor scale looks like a big waste of taxpayer money, so you're going to test the effect of a nuclear scale explosion, without nuclear, just for the hell of it to then look at some fucked up military vehicles?
Pages: 1 ... 1352 1353 [1354] 1355 1356 ... 1358