Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1357 1358 [1359] 1360 1361 ... 1419

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1787990 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #20370 on: June 14, 2020, 12:50:25 pm »

Chairmanpoo, that was interesting. Are you an author?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #20371 on: June 14, 2020, 12:54:40 pm »

No, I think I copied it from elsewhere. And it's a nameswitched short story from Lovecraft anyway. So I did not write it if that's what you're asking.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #20372 on: June 14, 2020, 04:07:46 pm »

The particular story is Nyarlathotep.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20373 on: June 14, 2020, 04:38:26 pm »

And I remembered I quit my job just in time for this quarantine bullshit, and I've been unemployed for almost three and a half months now. I still have money, I'm not worried, I just don't know how I'll reintegrate into society. I don't know.
Same, bruh. I feel weird enough normally if I go, say, a week without leaving the house or properly interacting with people.   
Like, "oh shit am I walking properly? How do I talk out loud again? Jesus, am I expected to make eye contact here?"-level weird. Now I don't even have my usual social life to keep me from degenerating into some kinda crazy hermit.
7 1/2 months since I was let go in a brainless corporate downsize plan. I feel the pain of you both. This is demoralizing. The fear is in the job search for me.
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #20374 on: June 15, 2020, 12:45:02 am »

My personal situation is not bad economically speaking so I do not fear the job market per se but it makes me angry. I do get some dread that it will never improve
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20375 on: June 25, 2020, 07:34:02 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 07:35:15 pm by dragdeler »
let

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20376 on: June 25, 2020, 07:38:32 am »

Those are some quite different things she laughs about.

When she laughs out loud about disabled or handicapped, or just slightly strange people, kick her in the shins and tell her she's making a fool out of herself, because that's just incredibly rude and nasty.

When she laughs about herself trying to get in a wheelchair, laugh with her. Self-mockery is the best humor there is. If you can't laugh about your own misery you're more vulnerable to depression.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 07:41:03 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20377 on: June 25, 2020, 07:43:44 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 07:35:20 pm by dragdeler »
let

TheSteppeWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Надад чонын сэтгэл байна
    • View Profile
« Reply #20378 on: June 28, 2020, 05:15:01 am »

When I woke up this morning I couldn't move and I saw something at the other end of the room. I couldn't get a clear look because after some time it disappeared and I could move as if it didn't happen. What was that?
Those who stomp on Mongolian land, will leave their lives on Mongolian doorstep.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #20379 on: June 28, 2020, 05:17:07 am »

When I woke up this morning I couldn't move and I saw something at the other end of the room. I couldn't get a clear look because after some time it disappeared and I could move as if it didn't happen. What was that?
Sounds like sleep paralysis TBH. But I'm not an expert on such things.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #20380 on: June 28, 2020, 05:26:16 am »

Waking up and not being able to move could be sleep paralysis, yes. I believe I have it a lot. As far as I know it's basically just the brain coming to before the body has left it's "dormancy state" (when you sleep the body is supposed to basically stop responding to movement cues from the brain, I believe it is theorised that it is to stop the body from acting out what you do in your dreams and stuff like sleep walking and the like). It is sometimes coupled with hallucinations of feeling or being watched, of a presence in the room, or of somebody sitting/lying on top of you and holding you down, but I seldom experience that part myself. It can be quite scary and unnerving and is 100% guaranteed the source behind folklore terrors such as the night mare from my own folklore and probably many similar spirits from other cultures.
Love, scriver~

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20381 on: June 28, 2020, 05:27:41 am »

That does indeed sound exactly like sleep paralysis.  The hallucinations that come with it are just a dream that extends briefly into your waking moment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

TheSteppeWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20382 on: June 28, 2020, 05:32:35 am »

Well, something supernatural was my first guess but now I'm more inclined to believe it was just sleep paralysis. Thanks.
Those who stomp on Mongolian land, will leave their lives on Mongolian doorstep.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #20383 on: June 28, 2020, 05:40:31 am »

It along with some other sleep/dream troubles I have (such as re-re-re-awakening dreams) are things I associate a lot with being stressed out, having not slept well during the night, or taking too heavy a nap during the day. Been under stress lately?
Love, scriver~

TheSteppeWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20384 on: June 28, 2020, 05:46:54 am »

It along with some other sleep/dream troubles I have (such as re-re-re-awakening dreams) are things I associate a lot with being stressed out, having not slept well during the night, or taking too heavy a nap during the day. Been under stress lately?
I have been quite busy but not really stressful.
Pages: 1 ... 1357 1358 [1359] 1360 1361 ... 1419