Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1363 1364 [1365] 1366 1367 ... 1419

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1782778 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #20460 on: August 09, 2020, 11:49:44 pm »

Last night, I put down my phone and it started reboot constantly. I noticed only because it vibrated every minute or so as part of the reboot.

Nothing could interrupt the cycle, and so I set it out to wait for the battery to kill itself. I woke up this morning with it still in the loop, but an emergency menu had appeared.

My phone...seems to have gotten over whatever it was going through.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20461 on: August 10, 2020, 12:40:37 am »

This must be peak Sovereign Citizen.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/31/us/hartford-sword-homicide-trnd/index.html

A Connecticut man decapitated his landlord with a sword after being told he had to move out because of overdue rent, Hartford police say.
When questioned by police, Thompson refused to speak but wrote on a sheet of paper that the "paper in glove compart in Jeep is all you need," the detectives said.

Once a search warrant was obtained, police found paperwork suggesting Thompson believed he was a "sovereign citizen," or an individual who believes he is not subject to any statutes and interprets the laws in their own way, the detectives wrote.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #20462 on: August 10, 2020, 06:19:00 am »

Guess they'll have to try him on terrorism or war crimes instead.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20463 on: August 10, 2020, 06:22:12 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 07:35:00 pm by dragdeler »
let

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20464 on: August 10, 2020, 11:45:51 am »

they believe germany is no formal nation but secretly a corporation.
Exactly the same here. The claim seems to be that the federation of states called the United States of America was dissolved some time ago and replaced by a corporation that coincidentally has the same name, governed by the Uniform Commercial Code, but also sometimes admiralty law for some reason, depending on whether there are fringes on the flag.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20465 on: August 10, 2020, 12:25:41 pm »

We have similar stuff in Russia. Mostly the oligarchs. Honestly, slightly closer to the truth than the other conspiracy theories. Think the rich in America have a lot of power? In Russia they have even more.

I think most large countries have this sort of conspiracy theories.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #20466 on: August 10, 2020, 01:21:49 pm »

No, you don't get it. Sovereign citizens think they are not bound to follow the law because the state is not real, but a standing corporation, and that by refusing to "enter contracts with it" (eg: evading taxes)  they can safely ignore it.

To clarify: they are random nobodies who think they can ignore the law because it doesn't suit them, just by saying so. They dont have economical or political clout to manipulate judges or goverments, and indeed thats not their aim: they believe they have a right to do all that just because.
Sovereign citizens tend to have hard collisions with reality.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #20467 on: August 10, 2020, 03:44:45 pm »

I mean, their existence does kinda bring up an interesting.point. Why is anyone bound by laws in the first place. They're the laws of the country in which you reside, which is a privilege granted in relation to you "keeping the peace," i.e. not breaking the bounds your fellow citizens (assuming a functioning democracy) have decided they need. That's fair. The practical side of the matter. But in the first place, nobody decided to be born in a country.

Oh wait, citizenship is basically a contract, right? So most of us are in that contract automatically. Sorry, SovCits, you've already engaged in a contract. So if they're correct and don't want to actually enter into contracts with the govt, they shouldn't be still living here.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20468 on: August 10, 2020, 03:49:56 pm »

Welcome to political science + philosophy 101 - "Does simply existing obligate you to some/anything?"

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #20469 on: August 10, 2020, 03:52:02 pm »

Why is anyone bound by laws in the first place
Alternatively: because the state has a monopoly on law enforcement by whatever means are necessary.  In other words: random hobos cannot choose not to be bound by the laws of the state because the state can force those laws upon them
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20470 on: August 10, 2020, 05:02:00 pm »

Welcome to political science + philosophy 101 - "Does simply existing obligate you to some/anything?"

Of course, as soon as you take any actions, that's not longer definable as simply existing. Also, this basis implies that the right to exist is innate and value-free. However, everyone else could just kill you as soon as you start to exist and that's also consistent with the idea that just existing doesn't obligate you to anything. Being obligated to nothing also means you're not obligate to respect anyone else's rights.

This is why we have rules, since the same rules enforce the notion that you have the "right" to exist and constrain others from impacting on your "right". Fundamentally, "rights" only exist as part of the system of rules itself. That's why Sovereign Citizens are idiots. If they're truly outside the system then there's nothing to stop us just shooting or enslaving them. It's a philosophical oxymoron, they go "I'm not bound by your rules!" but if anyone else does anything to them they go "but ... you just can't do that, it's against the rules!" Maybe the cop just chooses not to recognize the rule that says he can't tazer and arrest the Sovereign Citizen? :/
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 05:08:24 pm by Reelya »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20471 on: August 10, 2020, 06:18:41 pm »

Not everyone needs laws to tell them to not enslave people. Even is slavery were legal, I wouldn’t do it

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #20472 on: August 10, 2020, 06:25:42 pm »

Not everyone needs laws to tell them to not enslave people. Even is slavery were legal, I wouldn’t do it

It sounds like Reelya is referring to a more general concept of rules, which laws are particular, concrete instantiations of.

Also I wanted to use the word instantiation.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20473 on: August 10, 2020, 06:26:53 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 07:34:48 pm by dragdeler »
let

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20474 on: August 10, 2020, 06:34:20 pm »

Of course, as soon as you take any actions, that's not longer definable as simply existing. Also, this basis implies that the right to exist is innate and value-free. However, everyone else could just kill you as soon as you start to exist and that's also consistent with the idea that just existing doesn't obligate you to anything. Being obligated to nothing also means you're not obligate to respect anyone else's rights.
And even taking no action is usually an action!  Or, at least, a decision.
And many actions are reflexive, such that we never make a decision.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 1363 1364 [1365] 1366 1367 ... 1419