Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1364 1365 [1366] 1367 1368 ... 1419

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1778430 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #20475 on: August 10, 2020, 07:40:13 pm »

Not everyone needs laws to tell them to not enslave people. Even is slavery were legal, I wouldn’t do it

But someone would, and that's the point. Laws exist because somebody would do those things, so it makes no sense to say the anti-slavery law shouldn't exist for you, since you wouldn't enslave anyone.

If there's a list of laws somewhere and anti-slavery laws are on there, it really doesn't make any sense to object to the law because not-everyone needs the law. Someone else apparently does, and that's why we have a law against that thing. And if you get rid of the law then it's not that many generations until people start seeing slavery as a normal part of life. While most people now are appalled at the idea, people can in fact get used to it to the point that they're meh about slavery.

And of course you forget that if there wasn't a law against it the most likely outcome is that those with no qualms about slavery enslave the people like you. Ok, so the anti-slavery law is irrelevant to you because you wouldn't enslave anyone, but that's entirely not the point. It'll be very relevant to you once you get enslaved.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 07:51:06 pm by Reelya »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20476 on: August 10, 2020, 08:29:46 pm »

I mean, their existence does kinda bring up an interesting.point. Why is anyone bound by laws in the first place. They're the laws of the country in which you reside, which is a privilege granted in relation to you "keeping the peace," i.e. not breaking the bounds your fellow citizens (assuming a functioning democracy) have decided they need. That's fair. The practical side of the matter. But in the first place, nobody decided to be born in a country.   

Yeah, there should really be like, a regular bus that makes stops at countries all over the world before finishing up its route at like, an uninhabited wilderness. For those who would really rather opt-out of whatever place they were born in, forsaking their citizenship in exchange for forging their own path.   
That'd be better for all involved. Unfortunately I don't think we have many suitable, unclaimed wildernesses left... and what about the children born in this weird-ass place? Are they stuck there, or at a certain age to they get an option to claim citizenship of their parents' original nation, if they don't wanna stick around in whatever hardscrabble, Lord-of-the-Flies-type shit they've got going on out there in the name of freedom? That sounds like it'd be expensive and/or tiresome for the countries in question.   
I just woke up, but like, this is interesting.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20477 on: August 11, 2020, 11:50:43 am »

Not everyone needs laws to tell them to not enslave people. Even is slavery were legal, I wouldn’t do it

It sounds like Reelya is referring to a more general concept of rules, which laws are particular, concrete instantiations of.

Also I wanted to use the word instantiation.
Yes but apparantly to many people, the fact that their freedom ends where that of others starts is too much to compute. Then they get offended when you don't let them misthreat you.

But someone would, and that's the point. Laws exist because somebody would do those things, so it makes no sense to say the anti-slavery law shouldn't exist for you, since you wouldn't enslave anyone.

If there's a list of laws somewhere and anti-slavery laws are on there, it really doesn't make any sense to object to the law because not-everyone needs the law. Someone else apparently does, and that's why we have a law against that thing. And if you get rid of the law then it's not that many generations until people start seeing slavery as a normal part of life. While most people now are appalled at the idea, people can in fact get used to it to the point that they're meh about slavery.

And of course you forget that if there wasn't a law against it the most likely outcome is that those with no qualms about slavery enslave the people like you. Ok, so the anti-slavery law is irrelevant to you because you wouldn't enslave anyone, but that's entirely not the point. It'll be very relevant to you once you get enslaved.
This all makes sense. I agree with all of these statements.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20478 on: August 11, 2020, 12:36:35 pm »

Yes, most laws exist because a precedent. And when there is new field the alreafy existing laws of the fields related or similar are applied as prevention.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 12:38:18 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20479 on: August 11, 2020, 12:55:20 pm »

Laws just tell you what the people who enforce laws will likely do to you when they find out you are not following them.  And this probably involves some form of force.

There's nothing more or less than that; laws are (for good or ill) orthogonal to morality.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20480 on: August 11, 2020, 01:23:09 pm »

Thats the punishment side of laws, it will vary on culture, time and the crime.

Something that used to be punishable by death is considered legal or even mandatory now.

The objective of laws is not to punish, at least not the original spirit, but inform a code of behaviour, mostly out of precedents so there is order within a comunity. However yes informing also the punishments is disuasory? (is that writen well?)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 01:29:37 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20481 on: August 11, 2020, 03:19:07 pm »

I believe the word you're looking for is "disuadatoringifying"

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20482 on: August 19, 2020, 08:51:06 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 07:34:51 pm by dragdeler »
let

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20483 on: August 19, 2020, 08:52:29 pm »

inb4 2021 is worse.

Think about it this way, the natural tendency is to assume that whatevers happening now will blow over in a few months. So, lockdowns or other restrictions, surely after "a few months" things will be back to normal. Probably most if not all of us have thought like that. It's the whole "we'll be home by Christmas" kind of thing, and while most events are in fact forgotten or we've moved on after a few months, this probably isn't one of them.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 08:56:11 pm by Reelya »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20484 on: August 19, 2020, 08:54:21 pm »

that does seem to have been the trend for the past half a decade
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20485 on: August 19, 2020, 08:57:06 pm »

Remember those days when we all thought 2016 was the worst. Oh, fond memories.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/jia-tolentino/the-worst-year-ever-until-next-year

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20486 on: August 19, 2020, 09:09:55 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 07:34:56 pm by dragdeler »
let

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20487 on: August 20, 2020, 12:43:14 am »

Pfft, the worst year was '93.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #20488 on: August 20, 2020, 12:52:28 am »

It all began in '94.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20489 on: August 20, 2020, 01:32:08 am »