Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1374 1375 [1376] 1377 1378 ... 1419

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1776744 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #20625 on: December 22, 2020, 02:21:07 am »

Then, everything changed when the Fire Nation attacked.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20626 on: December 22, 2020, 02:23:09 am »

Then, everything changed when the Fire Nation attacked.

The firewall nation
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #20627 on: December 22, 2020, 02:57:54 am »

So... what is safe to use these days? The NES operative system? Or did the hackers went back in time and retroatively hacked nintendo too.

I'm fairly certain there's a couple (read: too many to count) of exploits that would allow you to break the 2A03 in that thing. It's a 6502 CPU in there, anyway, so I'm sure you could have some fun with that. Just look at the NES demoscene. (Then again, the NES demoscene isn't quite as developed as, say, the C64 demoscene, so it's not as impressive in my eyes)

There was that lockout chip, the 10NES, but that's already been fully-reverse engineered, and people have made clone chips (most famously, Tengen with their Rabbit chip) that pretend to be a working 10NES chip on the cartridge side to bypass the lockout entirely.

Like, your best bet is to use Tails (Tails is a Live-USB-only distro, and that's by design). It's Linux-based, so you'd have a hard time trying to get viruses by accident. Do not save anything onto the Tails disk, if you wanna be extra paranoid. Oh, and I guess use a Ryzen PRO CPU, since Ryzen has fewer vulnerabilities than Intel. The PRO part is needed if you really wanna be secure; there's some extra security features in the PRO variants. Update your BIOS regularly, since it contains security patches for the microcode. And, of course, follow standard safety procedures for the Internet: don't be a dumbass, don't share your personal details if you're dubious, use long passwords...

I'm sure there's more things you can do if you really want to crank up the security level, but I think that's most of it.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 03:25:25 am by methylatedspirit »

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20628 on: December 22, 2020, 08:58:08 am »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 01:15:23 pm by dragdeler »
let

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #20629 on: December 24, 2020, 03:09:05 am »

Did you know the doors to your homes have a glitch where if an axe approaches it at a high velocity and force multiple times, the doors will be transformed into wood fragments, allowing hackers access to your house?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20630 on: December 24, 2020, 03:17:45 am »

Did you know the doors to your homes have a glitch where if an axe approaches it at a high velocity and force multiple times, the doors will be transformed into wood fragments, allowing hackers access to your house?

Yeah. Darn devs can't even fix their already awful game.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20631 on: January 21, 2021, 08:51:49 am »

Sometimes I have terrifying visions of the future.

I just imagined a patient - doctor conversation, a few years from now.

Patient: "doctor, I really need a hug"
Doctor: "I am sorry, your health insurance only covers one hug per 5 years, you will be egligible for another 3 years from now.  What I can do for you is put you on the waiting list for the corona-safe pat on your shoulder. You'd be up in about 11 months."
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 08:53:33 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20632 on: January 21, 2021, 10:34:30 am »

You can go to the great clown Pagliacci for hugs

But doctor, honk honk I am Pagliacci

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20633 on: January 21, 2021, 11:44:47 am »

Sometimes I have terrifying visions of the future.

I just imagined a patient - doctor conversation, a few years from now.

Patient: "doctor, I really need a hug"
Doctor: "I am sorry, your health insurance only covers one hug per 5 years, you will be egligible for another 3 years from now.  What I can do for you is put you on the waiting list for the corona-safe pat on your shoulder. You'd be up in about 11 months."

You guys are getting hugs every five years?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20634 on: January 21, 2021, 11:46:40 am »

You guys are getting hugs?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20635 on: January 21, 2021, 11:56:06 am »

Are these cries for help? Do I need to administer some imaginary internet hugs in here?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20636 on: January 21, 2021, 12:07:37 pm »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 01:25:04 pm by dragdeler »
let

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20637 on: January 22, 2021, 06:58:00 am »

Are these cries for help? Do I need to administer some imaginary internet hugs in here?
Tbh I'm so accustomed to people taking advantage of me any time I let my guard down that I can't help but keep people distant and resolve all of my problems on my own. It helps that I am so emotionally stable and stoic all the time that people rest on me for their problems, and I am given great joy in life to be able to help others so well. Yet when my closest friends insist on offering me help because they know I'd tell them everything is fine even when I'm exhausted, I insist there is no difference between this or any other tough part of my life, because that is how I've always dealt with my problems - with patience and acceptance of whatever sword falls on my head next. I am not even sure how they could begin to help, to the point where I actually get annoyed when they persist in their attempts to support me, especially when they need my support more because their situations are so precarious & I want them to care for themselves before they care for others. There's a level of intimacy friends have when they are deeply attuned to one another's problems and emotional states, like the time my friend tried to pay for our food and was about to break down in tears when his card was declined until I insisted on paying in good humour. We all pretended not to notice, because I think we're not really good at depending on each other openly, this is in spite of me considering two of my friends to be my left and right arms. Too many emotional contradictions, but to be frank I'm happy to have lived to this point and to have made such friends, and despite the fleeting nature of everything this whole post could be put in the things that made you happy thread given how I feel.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20638 on: January 22, 2021, 07:47:46 am »

I was just joking. My kid is a hug machine, sometimes too much or hanging from my neck painfully so.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #20639 on: January 22, 2021, 08:34:14 am »

(-snip-)

I suppose it do be like that sometimes. I don't know why people appear to trust me enough to be able to befriend them (or the illusion of such), and, frankly, I don't want to know why they do. There's still themes of these recurring thoughts, where I believe that all of my friends are somehow plotting against me, but I have a growing pile of evidence that such a thing is unlikely.

But I suppose it is what it is: a phobia, a deep-seated fear. Not a rational thing that you can push data into to get some output, but something that sees all this evidence on the table, flips it, then it just repeats (to quote a post that I would've made, but never published) "the world's most annoying commercial (...), day in, day out". It is not rational. It cannot reason. It cannot understand. Yet I listened to this damn thing for months, if not years, and I let it control me for that entire time, before I wrote that post I mentioned, showed it to my mom, and got the help I needed.

That's all behind me now. I know it's bullshit, and I'm able to overcome that by not thinking too deeply about it. I only broke this out because it reminded me of my own issues. I would criticize past-me for being so oblivious to the havoc that was clearly being wreaked on my mind, but they didn't have the knowledge that I do now. They knew nothing, but they did the best they could with what they did know. I'm not gonna fault them for trying. Inaction would've made it worse.
Pages: 1 ... 1374 1375 [1376] 1377 1378 ... 1419