Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1377 1378 [1379] 1380 1381 ... 1419

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1781586 times)

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #20670 on: February 09, 2021, 12:45:06 pm »

Wait? In English lye is not bleach as in chlorine???? I've living a lye!
Nope, it's caustic soda - sodium hydroxide.

The most delicious of all the sodas.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #20671 on: February 09, 2021, 02:06:04 pm »

Lye is used in very small amounts to adjust the water's pH-value and to remove calcium from it.
In higher concentration it can cause burns and can be lethal when ingested be a perfectly reasonable way to preserve food and a good basis for your holiday traditions

Fixed that for you ;)
Love, scriver~

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20672 on: February 09, 2021, 02:09:22 pm »

Another hint is revealed to us about the secrets of surströmming
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20673 on: February 09, 2021, 02:09:59 pm »

What is food preservation, in the end, but poisoning your food so that you're the only one who can survive eating it?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20674 on: February 09, 2021, 02:12:59 pm »

Lye is used in very small amounts to adjust the water's pH-value and to remove calcium from it.
In higher concentration it can cause burns and can be lethal when ingested be a perfectly reasonable way to preserve food and a good basis for your holiday traditions crazy person from across the atlantic who eats fish jello.

Fixed that for you ;)

NO U.

Joking aside what is lutefisk actually like? Is it awful like fruitcake but everyone eats it becuase of tradition? Or is it like, some kind of actual treat?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20675 on: February 09, 2021, 02:14:22 pm »

Is it awful like fruitcake but everyone eats it becuase of tradition?

What's wrong with fruitcake? T_T

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20676 on: February 09, 2021, 02:17:04 pm »

Too sweet, too dense, too sticky, not enough variation in texture. But I also really dislike Stollen.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20677 on: February 09, 2021, 02:20:25 pm »

Cake, fruit and nuts all have different texture though. :( And marzipan is king.

That reminds me I didn't do the ritual of getting the cheap-ass post-Christmas stollens from supermarket this year. Usually they reduce them to like 1/4 price.

... When did I last go to a shop anyway? Time blends together these days.

Edit: look at it man ;_; as beautiful as a cake should be
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 02:23:27 pm by Caz »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20678 on: February 09, 2021, 02:59:44 pm »

In higher concentration it can cause burns and can be lethal when ingested be a perfectly reasonable way to preserve food and a good basis for your holiday traditions crazy person from across the atlantic who eats fish jello.

Fixed that for you ;)

NO U.

Joking aside what is lutefisk actually like? Is it awful like fruitcake but everyone eats it becuase of tradition? Or is it like, some kind of actual treat?

It's pretty meh. I don't know what fruitcake is like, don't think that's a thing here, but lyefish is like... Well, it doesn't really taste anything. Not even like white fish usually taste. And it doesn't really have any texture to it. It's less jello and more... mush. Mush, but also jello. I can't say it's awful because it that is by far too strong a word for the extremely plain experience that it is. The sauce and the mustard that it's usually served with is basically what gives it any kind of flavour or taste at all.

I'm not a big fan myself, but I eat it on Christmas Day because it is tradition (and it's probably very nice on the stomach the day after the Christmas table).
Love, scriver~

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20679 on: February 09, 2021, 03:30:40 pm »

Huh. I was imagining a strong fish taste.

Sounds alright, actually.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20680 on: February 09, 2021, 04:52:50 pm »

A car assploded today in my city. No, is not terrorism, unless you count idiocy and recklesness as terrorism, which sometimes I do.

Thanks to our lack of fuel, people has been trying to find ways around it. One is converting your car to run on natural gas, which is in all a cleaner fuel but less potent and thus in less demand than gasoline, but I digress. The thing is that while in theory all inyection engines and I think carburetor ones too as long the carburetor is adapted to it can handle natural gas, some people skimp on safety measures and procedures and make home installations instead of doing them with certified technicians/mechanics. To their defense it cost 1200 or 1500 dollars to install this systems. To their offense being death certainly is worst than having to spend money.

The thing literally assploded as the gas cylinder was in the trunk.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 04:55:05 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20681 on: February 09, 2021, 06:21:03 pm »

Damn. The resourcefulness of people is very impressive but I'm sorry I guess amateur work isn't always the safest.

Kinda reminds me of an old engineering disaster during the Great Depression where a school (and much of a town) was tapping into a pipeline of natural gas by-product on its way to be flared off. They weren't supposed to, but it was free heating fuel. Apparently there was a leak (possibly for weeks, as students complained of headaches) and eventually there was a spark. At that time there wasn't even an odor added to the waste product like there is nowadays.

WTYP did a podcast about it (with slides). Be warned that they make jokes as a way of coping with tragedy.
In higher concentration it can cause burns and can be lethal when ingested be a perfectly reasonable way to preserve food and a good basis for your holiday traditions

Fixed that for you ;)
I'd heard lutefisk has an extremely strong smell?

Also I enjoy hominy which is basically lye + corn. It's unlike anything else I've had.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20682 on: February 09, 2021, 06:40:07 pm »

Well, at least no one died this time around, other haven't been so lucky. Only two with minor injuries.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20683 on: February 10, 2021, 03:07:27 am »

I'd heard lutefisk has an extremely strong smell?

No, that's surströmming you're thinking of, the fermented herring
Love, scriver~

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20684 on: February 10, 2021, 03:27:19 am »

Lutefisk has always sounded nasty.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 1377 1378 [1379] 1380 1381 ... 1419