Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1380 1381 [1382] 1383 1384 ... 1419

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1781405 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #20715 on: February 14, 2021, 12:20:16 am »

Dumbo octopi are remarkably adorable, tho'. But yeah, actually going there, naaah.

No clue how I'd handle a sub, though... I'm fairly phobic of boats, specifically, due to childhood trauma, so getting to one at all would be a problem, but I'd probably be pretty okay if I could get past that hurdle? Dunno.

Caves have a similar "the surroundings may collapse and kill you" vibe but I've mostly hella' liked caves. The fairly open ones, anyway.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20716 on: February 14, 2021, 12:23:04 am »

odd, I had not visceral scare reactions to any of the organisms from down there.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #20717 on: February 14, 2021, 12:29:55 am »

The deep-sea creatures don't spook me that much, but I got a bit spooked. I have expectations of what life "should" look like, and the deeper you go, the less it looks like what I expect life to be. Must be the adaptations needed for life to exist down there.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20718 on: February 14, 2021, 12:30:58 am »

To me, it's not the organisms that are scary. It's the sheer emptiness and deadness you get near the absolute deepest depths. It gives me a weird sense of existential dread and serious YOU SHOULD NOT BE HERE!!! vibes. I mean seriously, the vacuum of space is less dangerous than the abyssal depths. And in space you get to see stars at least.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20719 on: February 14, 2021, 12:56:26 am »

I don't like how big some of them are :V

11 meters is not an acceptable fish size

. . . I guess maybe it would be ok if they domesticated us, but otherwise, no.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20720 on: February 14, 2021, 01:24:33 am »

I found the sections of just scrolling through emptiness to be the most tense thing about the page.

Except the spider crab. I’d tell that thing to go to hell, but apparently it already lives there.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20721 on: February 14, 2021, 01:24:55 am »

I'm reminded of the octo expansion of Splatoon 2.  The main "hub" of the expansion is a subway network deep under the main game's city.  Its passengers are various anthropomorphic deep deep sea critters.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #20722 on: February 14, 2021, 01:27:15 am »

Don't elephants basically think of us like that? They think that their humans are their pets, not the other way around.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20723 on: February 14, 2021, 01:43:15 am »

See, yes, and I'm OK with that, because elephants are . . . I don't know . . . large but not 11 meters long.

They have babies and eyelashes and stuff, I'm OK with being domesticated by elephants.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20724 on: February 14, 2021, 02:18:51 am »

To me, it's not the organisms that are scary. It's the sheer emptiness and deadness you get near the absolute deepest depths. It gives me a weird sense of existential dread and serious YOU SHOULD NOT BE HERE!!! vibes. I mean seriously, the vacuum of space is less dangerous than the abyssal depths. And in space you get to see stars at least.

Congratulations on the thalassophobia! Enjoy your stay.

Don't elephants basically think of us like that? They think that their humans are their pets, not the other way around.

Unfortunately, this is a Tumblr Fact™ and therefore not supported by anything.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20725 on: February 14, 2021, 02:20:47 am »

Unfortunately, this is a Tumblr Fact™ and therefore not supported by anything.

boooooooooooo

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #20726 on: February 14, 2021, 02:24:20 am »

I'll be sure to label that as "misinformation", then. Ah, the pitfalls of absorbing information faster than you can verify it.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20727 on: February 14, 2021, 02:45:13 am »

I'll be sure to label that as "misinformation", then. Ah, the pitfalls of absorbing information faster than you can verify it.

Verily... I got all excited about that one myself. Being a doggo to elephants seemed like a pretty nice accomplishment to me!

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #20728 on: February 14, 2021, 03:29:00 am »

The creatures themselves don't scare me. What usually gets to me is the fact that I'm really not designed to defend myself from six planes of attack, or navigate six degrees of freedom, and there's no cover in the sea. You're terribly exposed and out of place if anything decides it doesn't like you.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20729 on: February 14, 2021, 06:37:29 am »

"Many deep sea species use the color red as camouflage since it's the deep of the sea no one can see you bleed muahahaha.... "
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 1380 1381 [1382] 1383 1384 ... 1419