Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1381 1382 [1383] 1384 1385 ... 1419

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1781873 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #20730 on: February 14, 2021, 08:54:10 am »

I didn't know people had actually reached the deepest point.  That story was the creepiest part for me!

And jeez Emperor Penguins dive deep O_o
To me, it's not the organisms that are scary. It's the sheer emptiness and deadness you get near the absolute deepest depths. It gives me a weird sense of existential dread and serious YOU SHOULD NOT BE HERE!!! vibes. I mean seriously, the vacuum of space is less dangerous than the abyssal depths. And in space you get to see stars at least.

Congratulations on the thalassophobia! Enjoy your stay.
Everybody talks about the big spooky monsters in Subnautica, but it was the diving that scared me off.  Like Barotrauma that way.  The depths are dark, vast, and alien.  And like in space travel, a thin sheet of technology is all that keeps you from being lost in that vast place, probably forever.  ...plus dying, presumably.

Ironically unlike the game Hydrophobia, which was more about drowning or suffocating in enclosed spaces (leaky undersea lab on fire) and so creeped the shit out of me a different way.  At least the early parts.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20731 on: February 14, 2021, 09:29:16 am »

A neighbour just died of covid.... an retired old chap from the navy. Grumpy old man kind of like Eastwood on Grand Torino but not a bad man at all... His wife is still alive but also sick. Fuck...
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20732 on: February 14, 2021, 10:09:01 am »

I didn't know people had actually reached the deepest point.  That story was the creepiest part for me!

Yes. I did not like that at all.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20733 on: February 14, 2021, 11:02:22 am »

To me, it's not the organisms that are scary. It's the sheer emptiness and deadness you get near the absolute deepest depths. It gives me a weird sense of existential dread and serious YOU SHOULD NOT BE HERE!!! vibes. I mean seriously, the vacuum of space is less dangerous than the abyssal depths. And in space you get to see stars at least.

Congratulations on the thalassophobia! Enjoy your stay.

Eh, I wouldn’t call it thalassophobia. If I did have that, I doubt I would have been able to read the whole thing.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #20734 on: February 14, 2021, 11:06:07 am »

Hey have you considered that when you go to the beach you're technically bathing in water full of dead bodies?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20735 on: February 14, 2021, 11:08:01 am »

not morbid enough poo.

the water was almost certainly a component OF dead bodies, just released through decomposition.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20736 on: February 14, 2021, 11:54:58 am »

Eh, I still go to pools while knowing that someone has almost certainly peed in it.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20737 on: February 14, 2021, 12:59:35 pm »

Hey have you considered that when you go to the beach you're technically bathing in water full of dead bodies?

We're all made out of dead bodies (or at least, dead material, depending on where you draw the line at something having a 'body')  Life is a cannibalistic orgy.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #20738 on: February 14, 2021, 01:08:20 pm »

Life is a machine which makes good use of its resources.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #20739 on: February 14, 2021, 01:45:41 pm »

That's why I eat my toe clippings. Nobody will sustain themselves off me except me
Love, scriver~

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20740 on: February 14, 2021, 01:55:07 pm »

Eh, I wouldn’t call it thalassophobia. If I did have that, I doubt I would have been able to read the whole thing.
I absolutely am thalassophobic, or at least I consider myself such, but the interesting thing to me is that that page didn't bother me in the slightest.

For me, it's neither of the things you mentioned in the earlier post -
To me, it's not the organisms that are scary. It's the sheer emptiness and deadness you get near the absolute deepest depths.
- it's something that I'm not totally sure I can verbalise. It's like... the ocean is just a Bad Place that should not exist and you should not go there. Even on the absolute surface, even just on the beach, it's awful and bad. I'm not thrilled about being on the same planet as the ocean. I would absolutely be okay with global climate change that either evaporated or froze the entire ocean. I mean, I was literally fantasizing about that possibility more or less unprovoked a couple weeks ago, because the ocean is bad.

Scrolling down an infographic ABOUT the ocean and looking at pictures of admittedly gross fish (all fish are gross) just isn't comparable.

Also, I played subnautica and treated it like a horror game. Honestly, I liked it and kind of feel like I understand horror games now. Having launched the rocket I'm not going back though.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20741 on: February 14, 2021, 02:06:41 pm »

Oh yeah it has to be a horror game, right?  Everyone who's talked to me about it describes it as horror first, with survival-crafting mechanics.  I wasn't able to get very far yet, though that's partly on my video card.
That's why I eat my toe clippings. Nobody will sustain themselves off me except me
Someone I met recently *loves* reminding everyone that dogs love horse-hoof shavings.

I actually appreciate the "ocean snow" concept!  Sure there are unfathomably (heh) large creatures down there, but also scavengers who help recirculate all that organic material - presumably back upwards, via predators.  The visual shows how far several birds dive, but doesn't show the ranges of depths some of those sharks probably travel - though it does mention one shark traveling back to the semi-lit zone during the night!

One could describe the snow as a grim tribute we pay to the nameless things we haven't yet seen.  On the other hand even corpses that fall into the deep trenches might eventually return to our rich surface biosphere!

I kinda like that?  But my perspective is that I don't want a sealed casket.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20742 on: February 14, 2021, 02:44:02 pm »

I'm planning to get cremated and buried in my rice crock :V
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20743 on: February 14, 2021, 03:57:06 pm »

Oh yeah it has to be a horror game, right?  Everyone who's talked to me about it describes it as horror first, with survival-crafting mechanics.  I wasn't able to get very far yet, though that's partly on my video card.
I know this sounds weird based on what I just said, but no, I don't agree that it's intrinsically a horror game. There are big angry fish but they're not any scarier than any big video game enemy, and you don't even have to go near them. I dunno, I guess ultimately different people have different reactions to things, and luckily, the sea is so vast and terrible that everyone can find something to be scary there.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20744 on: February 14, 2021, 04:32:55 pm »

For sure, I more meant that my friends have seemed to consider it a horror game.  Nailing down a song or game's genre tends to be an exercise in frustration for me.  It can be so subjective, yeah, particularly in a... I almost said "a game with depth", jeez :P
She/they
Pages: 1 ... 1381 1382 [1383] 1384 1385 ... 1419