Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1382 1383 [1384] 1385 1386 ... 1419

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1782995 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #20745 on: February 14, 2021, 04:41:40 pm »

For sure, I more meant that my friends have seemed to consider it a horror game.  Nailing down a song or game's genre tends to be an exercise in frustration for me.  It can be so subjective, yeah, particularly in a... I almost said "a game with depth", jeez :P
Yeah, to be totally clear, that post wasn't so much a consistent chain of thought as it was me starting out by saying it wasn't a horror game, then reconsidering and deciding anything can be a horror game, especially if it has oceans in it. Even that part in Spore where you get eaten by some huge thing if you wander into the ocean is probably horror to somebody.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20746 on: February 15, 2021, 05:26:35 am »

To me, it's not the organisms that are scary. It's the sheer emptiness and deadness you get near the absolute deepest depths. It gives me a weird sense of existential dread and serious YOU SHOULD NOT BE HERE!!! vibes. I mean seriously, the vacuum of space is less dangerous than the abyssal depths. And in space you get to see stars at least.

Congratulations on the thalassophobia! Enjoy your stay.

Eh, I wouldn’t call it thalassophobia. If I did have that, I doubt I would have been able to read the whole thing.

It's a matter of intensity, really. Mild arachnophobia is still referred to as mild arachnophobia, even if that just means you're "Not particularly keen on looking at or being around spiders" rather than full-on panic.

The sense of fear or unease at the vast, empty, unknowable expanse of deep water is thalassophobia. That little warning light flashing in the back of your brain when you look down and see infinity that tells you "You are not supposed to be here".

I definitely consider Subnautica a horror game. It's specifically designed to be deeply unsettling and to make the most out of that fear of the unknown and the fact that you are simply not at home in this environment. But something else is.

...and then they made sure not to have red blood or gore in it, so they could keep the age rating down. Trauma's best when they're young!~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #20747 on: February 15, 2021, 08:06:58 am »

Last year during the lockdown I took up amateur astronomy. My mother had a moment of cosmicist freakout when I invited her to look through the telescope at Jupiter, with the four Galilean moons visible. It's one thing knowing its there and a different one to see it and have it suddenly click what you're looking at.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20748 on: February 15, 2021, 11:21:57 am »

When you say freakout, how extreme was it? Was it like an actual panic attack?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #20749 on: February 15, 2021, 12:19:59 pm »

...What did she look at? Does it look like a divine space baby?
Love, scriver~

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20750 on: February 15, 2021, 12:29:52 pm »

I have this dry, persistent cough through the day. It is not costant, I cough like once ever couple of minutes, but wind or cold makes me cough like twice per minute. When Im sleep it stops and starts like half an hour after I wake up, or at once if I put a mask on.

It seems more allergy than anything, perhaps for reusing discardable quirurgical masks. We wash them with a few drops of liquid soap and doze then with an alcohol spray after they dry.

The cough started intermittently like a week ago (like evry other day). But today I have been feeling a tad short of breath and more tingling in the back of my throat. I have not lost taste or smell. Maybe Im just freaking out because of my neighbour passing of covid...

No one else in the house have cough, but I'm the one that go out the most of us. Also no fever which is good I guess.

Im genuinely terrified of this, or going out. Tomorrow I have to go out because its another chemo round for Laika and they will work despite carnival. Maybe my wife should go isntead and I should isolate inmediately.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20751 on: February 15, 2021, 12:44:43 pm »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 01:38:38 pm by dragdeler »
let

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20752 on: February 15, 2021, 12:54:28 pm »

Yes, to all of that except the Mardi Gras name. Here is simply called "Carnavales" (spanish) and thats it.

Our  customs are to have waterbaloon figths and go to the beach en masse, which people that can still afford it (and many who cannot) are doing despite the epidemic and the spike in the brazilian strain that is starting to kill of kids too, specially malnourished ones which sadly we have in droves, just because our Dear Leader told everyone is fine, and "dont forget to buy and take our miracle covid curing drops"

I live in a joke. A bad one.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #20753 on: February 15, 2021, 01:13:43 pm »

Wait wait wait there is carneval in venezuela, and the same day than in europe? You call it "mardi gras" too? And do they also have mardi gras in new orleans 40 days (actually a bit more 40 counting from next wednesday) before easter too?

Surprisingly they also celebrate easter and pentecost at the same day as in europe too :P
Love, scriver~

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20754 on: February 15, 2021, 01:18:16 pm »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 01:38:28 pm by dragdeler »
let

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20755 on: February 15, 2021, 01:36:12 pm »

Yes, just in easter we dont look for funny chocolate eggs from a bunny (which drugs were you using?) Or it is only on USA? Anyway, for us is just another day... umm perhaps more people than usual goes to the church, but that's it.

We also celebrate Halloween but only fairly recently, and just as an excuse to wear costumes and party/drink. Children do not go out looking for candy or anything. And of course there is a fair share of detractors, specially among the Evangelical Christians and old/most conservative people (or die hard leftists that see anything american as evil) as they deem the whole thing satanic and foreign contamination respectively.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 01:38:13 pm by LordBaal »

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20756 on: February 15, 2021, 02:00:29 pm »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 01:38:06 pm by dragdeler »
let

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #20757 on: February 15, 2021, 11:05:13 pm »

A huge percentage of "pagan festivities being coopted" are just as strong a case of retroexplanation as anything else. The Christmas Tree is one of my favorite such - they are often said to be a cooption of Germanic Paganism, but the earliest examples don't show up until the early 15th century - long after Germanic Paganism was driven to near extinction and the main debate was over the details of Christianity.

Easter Eggs are a similar issue - the symbolism is quite appropriate both as a symbol of the Resurrection and as a pagan celebration of the coming of spring. The origin is unknown, but there is no proven pagan use in the areas where the earliest examples of practice is found, and the Pagan tradition with the strongest link is one that is not known to have ever used eggs.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20758 on: February 16, 2021, 04:37:01 am »

But why does chocolate formed into an egg taste better than any other shape of chocolate?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20759 on: February 16, 2021, 05:13:57 am »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 01:37:39 pm by dragdeler »
let
Pages: 1 ... 1382 1383 [1384] 1385 1386 ... 1419