Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1384 1385 [1386] 1387 1388 ... 1419

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1776302 times)

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #20775 on: February 17, 2021, 06:44:07 am »

Apple as well; I know that they also glue down their batteries. I'm fairly certain, though, that pretty much everyone (who isn't Fairphone or one of those Linux* phones) glues down their batteries nowadays. They can't be assed to actually put little plastic tabs with screw holes on them on the battery itself anymore.

*Android runs on the Linux kernel, yes, but apart from that, Google does whatever the hell they want. It's debatable if it can be considered a Linux distro for this reason. It has the kernel, yes, but almost no GNU programs are used in it, you basically need to modify and recompile to get a Linux program to run on Android (and vice versa), and its status as open-source is dubious in practice.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20776 on: February 18, 2021, 10:12:18 am »

To ah, follow up on the drinking thing, I made it a full 7 days without any alcohol.  It was mostly just annoying, but diet soda helped a lot with the habit part when things got dicey.

The effect is really hard to describe.  For the first 3 days I had a giddy, healthy energy which I was able to put into chores I'd been neglecting.  Makes sense when coming off a depressant.  For the last couple days that mental energy normalized a bit, but I still had a lot of nervous physical energy to burn off.  I suspect that's why I kept failing to fall asleep while drinking.  Instead of chores I simply walked for long distances (despite the cold) which burned off the energy and helped me think and relax my mind, away from distractions.

All in all my sleep schedule became amazingly "normal" and restful, though I also took a couple of melatonin pills.  I'm *definitely* suffering a deficiency somehow, because those things knocked me out so suddenly I left stuff running.

Anyway, full disclosure, I closed out the week by having 3 beers.  It was a relief to taste them again, even though they're objectively bad cheap beers.  As I suspected, the alcohol didn't really feel great.  There was a slight reduction in anxiety, along with a nauseous feeling.  I have (in another room) plenty of hard liquor to get blackout drunk on, but I was only briefly tempted to have any.  I think it's too dangerous because it's very difficult to track how much I'm having.  It's a shame it's so much cheaper.  If I'm going to use it at all, I'll need to do the math and arrange an accurate measurement system.  Bonus points if it's inconvenient - like leaving the bottle in another room.

It's been interesting interacting with my new music-sharing friends online without any buzz.  I still get tired of social interaction, but on a much healthier scale - instead of overdoing it one day and then curling up in a ball the next, I find myself changing my status every couple of hours.  Heck, there seem to be so many more hours in the day!  It's a lot to handle sometimes, but it's mainly amazing.  I also get to talk about important things without constantly worrying that I'm drunker than I feel.

I really love writing, huh?  I'd been thinking up some creative projects as I walked, and today I feel the energy to work on one in particular.  I think that as long as I spend this nervous energy on *something*, I won't even feel like calming myself down with alcohol.

(Funny/scary side note- my ex messaged me RIGHT as I finished the second beer, despite my status being idle, for the first time in a month.  Talk about timing, huh?  They're doing well, found a new job, and really really want a girlfriend xD  I'm *so* glad I was mostly-sober, it was a nice tame chat.)

(Oh and it's been raining a lot the past couple weeks, which I consider a good omen!  It rained particularly hard last night, which helped me fall back asleep a couple times <3)  (shame about the flooded basements I've had to help clean out, but hey, it's work)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 10:14:05 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20777 on: February 18, 2021, 02:07:55 pm »

Whoo, you made it a week! Yayyyy!!!
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20778 on: February 18, 2021, 02:21:54 pm »

I'm glad it's helping you feel better too, Rolan.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #20779 on: February 19, 2021, 01:29:47 am »

Well done, Rolan!

Domaryx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20780 on: February 19, 2021, 06:20:05 am »

What scared you today? My mom, who unexpectedly entered the room and touched my shoulder when I was wearing headphones

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20781 on: February 19, 2021, 09:38:10 am »

Omigosh I hate that so much!  Leaving one ear all or mostly free can help, but of course it impacts the listening experience.  My family learned not to touch me without asking but people in college didn't know I guess >.>

(also thanks a lot, all <3)
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #20782 on: February 19, 2021, 10:46:10 am »

was it your Mother or your Other Mother?
Love, scriver~

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20783 on: February 19, 2021, 12:31:15 pm »

I make sure to sit in a position where I can see all approaches when wearing headphones. :p

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #20784 on: February 19, 2021, 01:10:00 pm »

Omigosh I hate that so much!  Leaving one ear all or mostly free can help, but of course it impacts the listening experience.  My family learned not to touch me without asking but people in college didn't know I guess >.>

(also thanks a lot, all <3)
Can you point on the doll where were you touched?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20785 on: February 19, 2021, 01:18:41 pm »

Who the hell photoshopped my hair to be red??  It was briefly magenta then pink, I'll have you know!
also BRB hunting down my ex for sharing that pic
She/they

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20787 on: March 28, 2021, 03:13:03 pm »

Meanwhile, in an alternate universe:
A wise man once said that Narnia was an isekai and Ratatouille a mecha

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20788 on: March 29, 2021, 06:43:42 am »

Meanwhile in Mozambique, jihadist militia are roaming the streets. Eye witnesses report there are decapitated bodies in the streets everywhere.

Foreign employees working in the country's gas industry (mostly british and french nationals) are hiding in hotels and shelters, hoping to survive until they can flee the country. The hotels they are hiding in are under siege by the islamists.

Last friday a large group of expats tried to leave the city in a convoy of 17 vehicles. They were ambushed. 7 vehicles made it to the nearby harbor city of Pemba. 7 persons on board those 7 surviving vehicles were dead on arrival, by gunfire. The 60 passengers of the other 10 vehicles are assumed to be killed.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 06:47:51 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #20789 on: March 29, 2021, 06:53:18 am »

Yep, it's been getting steadily worse over the last months. Very strange to me to have Islamist insurrection this far south, but I guess that's the way the world is going.

Edit: South African focus but here's an article that gives some overview of the Palma situation https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2021-03-28-northern-mozambique-volunteer-ships-help-to-evacuate-1000-from-palma-after-insurgent-attack/
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 06:59:41 am by Arx »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 ... 1384 1385 [1386] 1387 1388 ... 1419