Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1412 1413 [1414] 1415 1416 ... 1419

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1782672 times)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #21195 on: January 27, 2023, 09:08:35 pm »

I don’t think the semantics of C++ even allow its use as a scripting language…how would that even work?

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21196 on: January 29, 2023, 07:58:42 pm »

I think double-post is warranted:

What's all this about military strikes in Iran, ostensibly conducted by Israel?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #21197 on: January 29, 2023, 10:44:59 pm »

Iran and Israel have been in a de facto state of war for years now, a conflict that has some strong potentials for escalation. In addition to using the Russo-Ukrainian war as a testbed for their loitering hunter-killer drones (tech that Israel has very good reason to be wary of), Iran has been extremely bellicose with their neighbors lately and is suffering from serious internal unrest. This is a very common recipe for a Short Victorious War - in this case, the obvious choice is increased intervention in Syria. This would fulfill Iran's heavily-suspected goal of carving a direct path between Syria and Iraq toward Israel, which would very much be in service of their publicly stated goal of wiping Israel off the map entirely.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #21198 on: January 29, 2023, 10:51:16 pm »

Indeed. Iran has been very clear for decades, that they want to drive every single last jew from Israel into the ocean. I hope Israel strikes more often, and harder, againts those fucks (whether they call themselves Iranians, Hezbollah or Hamas extremists, I don't care they need to die).

Completely unrelated from that, Israel's current government is horrible, extreme right, and apartheid fascist and I hope they choke to death, but that is completely unrelated to Iran's extremist stance of killing all jews.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 10:52:56 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #21199 on: January 29, 2023, 10:58:41 pm »

but that is completely unrelated to Iran's extremist stance of killing all jews.

It isn't, really. A nasty security threat like that is a big driver toward keeping the extreme-right in power in Israel, because that's where the fortress mentality is coming from.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #21200 on: January 29, 2023, 11:00:01 pm »

Yes it is a horrible conundrum. The fortress mentality however does not have it's roots so much in external threats like Iran. It goes back to the times before the walls, when suicide bomber attacks on civilian targets and tourist busses were all too common in Israel. The walls and segregation are horrible, but they did put an end to that.
The US had it's 9/11. Israel had it's near daily 9/11s for decades. What would the US do if 9/11 was a recurring event every month?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 11:05:42 pm by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #21201 on: January 29, 2023, 11:26:05 pm »

... if israel had had near daily 9/11s for decades, they would have been losing over a million people per year. You're talking a death count literally greater than its current population.

Monthly would have been less, but I don't recall there being a period of decades where israel was losing upwards 36k people a year to suicide bombers, either.

I get what you're trying to say, even if I doubt it's particularly accurate, but regardless of that you've picked a shit example to use for the point you're trying to make. For all I wish we'd just put it fucking behind us at this point, 9/11 saw nearly 3 thousand people killed; it wasn't an event on the scale of blowing up a series of tourist buses.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21202 on: January 30, 2023, 07:56:04 am »

East germany to the israelis.
Israel to the Chechens.
Chechenia to the pro russian ukranians.
Ukraine to the ukrainians.

8) problem solved time for a beer
let

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21203 on: January 31, 2023, 01:48:00 am »

Don't give the Israelis anything, they don't deserve it.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21204 on: January 31, 2023, 04:12:15 am »

Well some would argue east germany constitutes precisely that  :P.

Besides "father stalin"/s showed us it's not that great of an idea to move populations around...

There is a 1% chance this might prevent the biblical end of the world tho, so maybe don't write it off too quick  ;D.

edit: I know I'm just taking a piss here but imagine modern israel teleported to east germany. They're allready in the eurovision so that's all that counts right? They have surprising manufacturing capabilities, we're talking cpus, drones, nukes, what a nice plus to schengen that would be. Also nobody (except the polish but I guess they're used to it by now, sorry guys) would bat an eye at the scenario of putin tgreatening to invade europe, if anything amnesty international would be worried about young russian conscripts being torn to shredds by israels tryhard everbody does mandatory military service borderline fasho attitude.

This concludes the weirdest rant you will read all day.

re-edit: Sorry just one more: maybe we can even restorate the old wall so they can feel right at home.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 04:32:23 am by dragdeler »
let

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #21206 on: February 01, 2023, 07:49:29 am »

A case of BSE (https://www.cdc.gov/prions/bse/index.html) was discovered on a dutch cow farm.
Let's hope it remains an incident. We don't need another BSE epidemic like in the late '90s / early 2000.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21207 on: February 01, 2023, 09:28:18 am »

A case of BSE (https://www.cdc.gov/prions/bse/index.html) was discovered on a dutch cow farm.
Let's hope it remains an incident. We don't need another BSE epidemic like in the late '90s / early 2000.

Fun - "The nature of the transmissible agent is not well understood."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #21208 on: February 01, 2023, 09:31:31 am »

Shouldn't be as bad as it was before, back when people were feeding cows ground up nervous tissue proteins amongst other things, much less chance for further infections

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #21209 on: February 01, 2023, 01:14:25 pm »

Turns out it was the so called 'a-typical' variant. The less dangerous variant that sometimes spontaneously happens in elderly animals.

Pages: 1 ... 1412 1413 [1414] 1415 1416 ... 1419