Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 412 413 [414] 415 416 ... 1419

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1783997 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #6195 on: December 20, 2013, 11:19:14 am »

Exposure therapy works so long as it is done right. Doing it right means gradually increased exposure, engaged in willingly by the patient. Violating either will most likely just make the phobia worse, though not always.
Protip: don't make somebody afraid of heights walk down a narrow mountain path.
Ugh... Being extremely afraid of heights, I see where you're both coming from.

For some reason, when we were at the fair, mum wouldn't let my brother (who is the same age as me) ride anything unless I was on with him, which is retarded. Him being him, he always wanted to go on the big and tall rides. Him and mum both got royally pissed at me for not wanting to "grow up" and face my fear of heights, even though I "face" my fears almost every year when they nag me like that, which was why I always went home pissed off and with a migraine. But I guess having a phobia means that I'm still just a baby.
'Hi, mum. You said I was a baby for having a phobia, so I suppose you have to deal with the great big spider in my bedroom. Enjoy!' *shove into bedroom with spider and prevent door from being opened*

Only works if your mother is arachnophobic.
I would like to play a game...
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6196 on: December 20, 2013, 01:43:30 pm »

I just remembered the date part of dating. No clue what to do now. Somewhat terrified.
Hang out like you would with a friend. Save the lovey dovey stuff for later.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6197 on: December 20, 2013, 02:08:13 pm »

I just remembered the date part of dating. No clue what to do now. Somewhat terrified.
Hang out like you would with a friend. Save the lovey dovey stuff for later.
My grain of salt: Do exactly that. 'Cause if she doesn't like who you are, that's her fault.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6198 on: December 21, 2013, 05:09:56 am »

Man all this talk about heights. I can't handle being near ladders or people on them because my brain convinces me that they're going to die. And don't even get me started about even just seeing scaffolding of those building-things used to wash windows. They're all dead to me the second they step onto the ladder.

But I fly perfectly fine. And I like climbing sturdy trees and rocks.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6199 on: December 21, 2013, 08:16:57 pm »

The dead baby scene from Trainspotting.

I don't what it is, but there's just always been something about infant carcasses that makes me feel very uneasy.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6200 on: December 21, 2013, 09:44:39 pm »

This thread.

Keeps reminding me of a creepypasta I read two days ago about a girl being eaten by her blanket (which is actually a monster in disguise). I kinda freaked me out a bit, and seeing this thread (since it's indirectly responsible for me stumbling upon that story) reminds me of it. But I'm kinda drunk now and hopefully won't care about being eaten by stuff that much.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6201 on: December 22, 2013, 02:16:49 am »

Life is just so full of fear. I have learned so much that should scare me, but I don't think it does. Not anymore. I know that a meteor or comet or asteroid could hit the earth at pretty much any point, instantly ending life as we know it. Or we could be caught in a gamma ray burst or some other cosmic event that just rends the surface of the earth. The Yellowstone could erupt, obliterating the United States and covering half the planet in ash. A virus could crop up that just wipes out the vast majority of humanity. Aliens could come and kill us all for our precious biosphere. The sun could blast out a solar flare that roasts most of the atmosphere off.

It's really not that scary to me anymore though. Why should I be afraid? Because I might die? Everyone dies. Death is just the grand finale. Pain? I'm not afraid of pain. Pain is my constant companion. I have a broken hand and I have for several years now. Pain reminds you that you haven't had that grand finale yet. It's nothing to fear. It's not a malicious force, it's a benevolent guide, trying to warn you. What else should I fear? Nonexistence after death? Not frightening to me. Rejection? Hah. I'm GOOD at getting rejected. Maybe I should fear something that is traditionally considered a good thing. I fear success. I fear companionship. I fear love. I'm afraid of being remembered long after I am dead. Why?

Success would mean I have something to lose. Companionship would mean someone was close enough to hurt me. And love is absolutely horrifying. I can maintain my state of mind, my logical control of myself, under the most insane circumstances. I can control my mind until the point at which I black out, under the most potent of drugs. I know because I've done it. A lot. I've had practice at it. Maybe that sounds like an empty boast to you. Go ahead and believe that, I don't care. I know it to be true. But love? Love can shatter all that. Love can make me lose what I value most in my life. My free will. I lose the ability to choose. I can't NOT fight for love. It's irresistible. Love can actually hurt me. Nothing can hurt me right now, because I have no love. I can feel pain, and be upset, but it's not hurt. That scares me.

Being remembered after I was dead is existentially concerning to me. I don't want to be that two-dimensional character in the history book that only did one thing worthy of notice. Fame is two sentences to a bored student in two hundred years. Fame is two questions on a multiple choice test about 'Turn of the Century American Figures'. Fame is gross and blatant misrepresentation of your life, of all the work and sweat and blood and tears that went on in your life. It's a joke. A sick, stupid fucking joke that so many people are so in love with. Why would you want to be remembered like that? I don't care to be remembered by any but those who knew me personally.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6202 on: December 22, 2013, 12:31:26 pm »

Had a dream about the Thing overtaking the world.
It was thrilling.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6203 on: December 22, 2013, 12:37:49 pm »

It was thrilling.
And I had a dream that my Grandmother was driving.
I was thrilling.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6204 on: December 22, 2013, 12:43:56 pm »

It was thrilling.
And I had a dream that my Grandmother was driving.
I was thrilling.
I had a dream where I scolded a corrupt bishop or something for having his order imprisoning Deadpool in a sarcophagus.
Was quite.. worrying how.. strange.. my dreams have become lately.
Quite thrilling as well.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6205 on: December 22, 2013, 01:16:56 pm »

I think I already mentioned the dream I had a few weeks ago and still remember vividly. I think I talked about it in the happy thread. Didn't scar e me as much as expected from its content.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6206 on: December 22, 2013, 03:04:37 pm »

Massive ice storm last night. Power was cutting in and out a lot. Firefighters came to clear the roads of fallen trees, and trees that didn't get toppled ended up losing a lot of branches anyways. Almost everything is iced over.

Also, the internet isn't back up to full speed yet, it's quite slow.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6207 on: December 22, 2013, 03:06:39 pm »

Massive ice storm last night. Power was cutting in and out a lot. Firefighters came to clear the roads of fallen trees, and trees that didn't get toppled ended up losing a lot of branches anyways. Almost everything is iced over.
Welcome to Skyrim.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6208 on: December 22, 2013, 04:52:14 pm »

Meanwhile, in Finland, rain, no snow and >0ºC in the nights. In the middle of winter.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

t. fortsorter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Most Sophisticated Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6209 on: December 22, 2013, 04:54:40 pm »

The seas are substantially more active and in more peculiar manners they are this year~
The winter shall remain mild in most of Europe until the middle of January, at the least. It is the best I can predict for you based on the information I have access to, haha~
Pages: 1 ... 412 413 [414] 415 416 ... 1419